Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 16, 2024, 10:44:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things I couldn't have known
Supporting a Child in Therapy for Borderline Personality Disorder
Anosognosia and Getting a "Borderline" into Therapy
Am I the Cause of Borderline Personality Disorder?
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hate Phase of BPD and our story and how we got there.  (Read 692 times)
BPDParent01
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Divorced

« on: November 15, 2021, 11:38:39 AM »

ALL

NOTE:  This is what I posted to my family and friends network recently.

Bear with me, this is not a call for help on my behalf but one of loved ones impacted by family members with Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD). It is an insidious disease with genetic and environmental factors with multiple triggers that make a loved one always feel like they are walking on eggshells. BPD wasn’t new to my life and I believe it is this disorder along with other catchment based Personality disorders and related co-morbidities or masked as such. (Fibromyalgia, OCD etc.) that have affected my life and my loved ones profoundly.

At this juncture in my life, I know the exact date(s) when BPD reared its ugly head with this loved one once again in my life again. As embarrassing but also as cathartic this post is to me, it highlights a point in time where I need to express myself in hopes that others recognize the situation and/or can find a way to help this individual out. I have been cancelled, I have been relegated to being thrown out with the garbage. I do this out of love, this is out of hope. It hurts me to see a loved one in pain.
Years after understanding the consequences of the insidious nature of BPD in a previous life and coupled with the genetics, co-morbidities and stressors that can bring BPD back to life in the “next generation” with individuals who are either ineffectively treated or BPD is unrecognized before it is too late. I am writing a brief but important story about how it all unravels in the blink of an eye, in a moment in time. It was Early November, 2018 when a simple, invite to a small Thanksgiving celebration turned into a one-way, hate filled, diatribe that began the last phase of untreated BPD. Below is an excerpt from How A Borderline Relationship Evolves.

https://bpdfamily.com/content/how-borderline-relationship-evolves

Read and read closely. In fact, to help me understand the exact timing and to better understand the evolution of BPD in this particular relationship I was lucky enough to have my entire texting history never deleted, probably just out of pure laziness on my part, but now it serves me well. It offered a retrospective glimpse, to review all those texts from 2014-2021 and see all the love, the bumps, the adventures and the hopes and dreams all expressed both in vivid pictures and text messages. In retrospect, I guess, it was nice to see parenting in action, parenting by default. I was always trying to stay at a safe distance, not overbearing but coming in to help as needed. I was the parent who wanted to know your loved one was safe but didn’t want to influence a relationship or situation by helicoptering my way into the relationship. Even with the best intentions and now understanding the clarity or lack thereof. It seems to have failed me.

In the texts we saw a young adult going through their own good and bad relationships (as we all do) trying to discover that right fit, that right person you can rely on and you can have a meaningful life with. As I re-read the past years of texts, there was an eerily disturbing pattern of one bad relationship after another. Don’t get me wrong, there were many happy moments shared. Many, many moments of parental pride. However, it always came back to bad roommates-not neat enough, too much drama, there was stalker boyfriend this, and stalker boyfriend that. Parent this, parent that. It was always BLACK AND WHITE never shades of GRAY.

As a parent, you were always there to console, to be a sounding board. Later in life, you were there for the car breakdowns, the unpaid bill that needed attention, you were invited to their work Holiday party and were proud to hear from their boss what a great employee your loved one was, you were asked for advice on Dentist, Medical and you were even there for a traumatic intensive care hospitalization. (Meningitis) You were even there to be a safety net when one bad male relationship went sour; where you drove with your loved one to this individuals “place” to pick up a few assorted remnants (possessions) of the relationship gone bad.

You supported the notion that it was a bad relationship. You consoled, offered positive words to get your loved one through the breakup. You were there as a parent, a loved one. You broke bread and drink in your hood, you shared many other moments with your loved one. They were the caregiver of your dog on vacations and business trips and likewise you were the caregiver of their pets when they went on adventures. You gloated over their accomplishments and talents. The relationship evolved to one where my new love of my life regularly went shopping, dining and visits on their own. You thought that was great, you didn’t need to force the “new relationship.”

Then like the cold winds of Fall, early November 2018 hit like a late season hurricane. It was one innocuous request of a divorced parent, if a Thanksgiving visit might be in order. No strings attached, nothing to worry about, you only live 2 miles away….leave when you want. Come just for dessert? It was all downhill and hatred ever since. What was it that was the trigger at that point, was it bad moment just previous or bad advice, was it a bad professional counseling session, was it an unknown stressor, was it an ex or friend playing psychologist that I was not privy to that triggered that fatal moment? It was in my estimation the final stages of BPD.

The memory is so vivid, the description through both myself and my partner in life. It was a moment in time that is still frozen. We re-read, and attempted to understand the “hate texts” this moment in time when all hell broke loose. All the positive childhood and young adulthood memories shattered in an instant.

Fast forward, we are now at the Hater Phase of BPD it is scary, hateful, distressing and a mixed jumble of confused misspelled, words and diatribes that require you to accept the fact that you are the direction of this hatred, you are the inanimate object that has been chosen. You see it in the sentence construction, the verbal text cues of disjointed comments. This is not like the texts from yesteryear. You are now an inanimate object to them, there is no volume, no edit button to stop the unrelenting attacks and threats of an individual with BPD at this stage. It’s almost if you are the victim of a “road rage incident.” Drive-by cursing, finger pointing and forcing one off the road of life.

What is the Hater Phase?
Love - the Hater Phase

Once a Borderline Controller has succeeded and is in control, the Hater appears. This hateful part of her may have emerged before, but you probably will not see it in full, acidic bloom until she feels she has achieved a firm hold on your conscience and compassion -- but when that part makes its first appearance, rage is how it breaks into your life.

What gives this rage its characteristically borderline flavor is that it is very difficult for someone witnessing it to know what triggered it in reality. But that is its primary identifying clue: the actual rage-trigger is difficult for you to see. But in the Borderline's mind it always seems to be very clear. To her, there is always a cause. And the cause is always you. Whether it is the tone of your voice, how you think, how you feel, dress, move or breathe - or "the way you're looking at me," - she will always justify her rage by blaming you for "having to hurt her." Rage reactions are also unpredictable and unexpected. They happen when you least expect it. And they can become extremely dangerous.

What is the purpose of this short-life story? It is one of hope, it is one of rekindling in some small way an ability to reach and love a loved one in hopes it’s not too late. One where others recognize the insidious nature of BPD and in hopes that there is a path forward. A place where all will be fine someday. I have accepted my fate as a parent but will try and try again and again as a concerned parent to see if there is help out there that can be offered.

I move on with a heavy heart, but it doesn’t prevent me from still enjoying the finer moments of life despite the many ups and downs it brings to not only myself but to others. I also am hoping others will read the link about BPD and find ways to reach out to help and put the pin back in the grenade we call BPD.

Some may say it is just easier to walk away, let life go on. In general, we will do that but in our heart of hearts we know that there is much life to live and your loved ones are an important part of that.

Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Sancho
Ambassador

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2021, 04:47:59 AM »

Thank you for your post - and the link.

The complexity of BPD is huge, and something that, one day, I will explore through the various theoretical works. But I can see the stages, and alignment of my journey with yours, although I don't have many memories of achievement.

I think I have gone on a journey - a personal one - as I have walked with my BPD dd. The lack of clarity on this journey I think is often due to the fact that the journey from child to young adult is already complex on its own, without adding BPD.

My journey was supporting, rescuing, all the time hoping that there would be a corner that we both turned.

Well there was - and it was me that turned the corner first. Coming here, reading others experience and 'letting go' ( I can't do it for someone else).

I'm glad your heavy heart has not stopped you from moments of enjoyment and being able to appreciate your own life as precious.

For some people life is only possible if they step away from BPD. For me it was not possible to do that, so I had to 'step back' while at the same time sharing daily living with BPD and gd.

Thank you for posting and I hope you can keep in touch.
Momma72

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2021, 07:08:04 AM »

Dear lord - this was the truest thing I've read to date. What you've written out and excerpted is nearly identical to what I've experienced over the course of the last 2 years. Though my problem seems to be compounded by 2. The GF and My Son.

I to continue to "Enjoy life" though in the beginning before I began to understand what was happening in front of me I didn't. It is only within the last few weeks have I even began to go Ah ha and Holy Moly that's a thing which has moved me forward into my life again. Stopping to smell the roses, doing things I love, and simply being me. However, this last week has been harder then normal since well, I'm approaching my 1st holiday since being discarded. Neither of my children have missed a Holiday dinner and this year i'm afraid will be my first. The sheer thought of that alone terrifies me. However, the sheer thought of the drama if it were to be a "family dinner" terrifies me as well. I want it but hate the thought of it & it's ramifications all at the same time. I tell myself I'm in a better mental spot then I was before a few weeks ago.. Why do I want to risk going back down that rabbit hole? Because it's my son I tell myself.. I'm suppose to love him unconditionally and I do but I don't love who he is mentally and his GF makes the problem 2 fold since she displays many of the characteristics of being a CNPD (Covert Narcissist Personality Disorder) and I believe my son is likely ONPD (Overt Narcissist Personality Disorder). The 2 compliment (For a lack of a better way to put it) each other... what 1 lacks the other gives and vice versa like a spinning infinity wheel. Leaving destruction and heartache in their path of twisted words and views that fragment a messy web of confusion.

I'm thankful for your insight and story.

Have a blessed day!
MissingMyJoy

Relationship status: Daughter

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2021, 07:38:26 AM »

Hi BPDParent01  Welcome new member (click to insert in post)

I'm so sorry you're going through this situation.  I can say, "been there..done that" and it's absolutely heartbreaking.  I'm in the "dis-guarded" phase right now (you can read my post from early November).

Here are a few of my thoughts: 
Excerpt
At this juncture in my life, I know the exact date(s) when BPD reared its ugly head with this loved one once again in my life again.
.  This has been my life for over 25 years with dd.  The BPD behaviors will ALWAYS raise it's ugly head.  My dd has a "cycle" which you describe.  There is no planning or preparation for the blindsided cruelty that is bestowed on myself as her mother.

Excerpt
I was the parent who wanted to know your loved one was safe but didn’t want to influence a relationship or situation by helicoptering my way into the relationship.
:  Same here.  I live 4 miles from dd and my grandchildren.  Happy to pick the grandchildren up from school, drop what I'm doing to help, feed them, play outside with them.  I've ALWAYS shown up in emergencies, lawsuits and difficult times.  I'm "the rock". 

I could keep quoting your comments because they sound exactly like my life.  With the recent rage my dd dumped on me, I've had absolutely enough.  Her behavior gives me an emotional hangover for a week or more.  I just cannot do this anymore.  I'm already looking for an apartment further away from her.  What really makes me most devastated is not being able to see my grandchildren.  However, what good am I if I'm emotionally devastated all the time.  I don't want to talk to my grandson about his mom's behavior.  He loves her and that would only give dd more ammunition to hate me even more.

It's very difficult to disconnect from a child I gave birth, loved, nurtured, forgiven, supported (the list goes on).  I have to do this for myself.  I wish you all the best in your decisions.  Please remember to take care of yourself.  Make that #1!

Missing My Joy

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest