Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
December 11, 2017, 05:24:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Borderline personality disorder: statistics Read here
Administrator: heartandwhole
Moderators: Meili, once removed
Member support team: DaddyBear77, Flourdust, pearlsw, Tattered Heart, Turkish, wendydarling, Woolspinner2000
  Directory Guidelines Glossary   Boards   Help Please Donate Login Register  
THE PSYCHOLOGY OF PERSONALITY DISORDERS
Pages: 1 ... 5 [6] 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is BPD a spectrum disorder? Can there be "BPD lites"?  (Read 25404 times)
JoannaK
DSA Recipient
Retired Staff

« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2009, 04:07:16 PM »

And realize how screwed up they are. Interesting...

The first part of your statement is certainly true, msok, but many of them don't realize how screwed up they are.  People on this board talk abut difficult behaviors even when the BPD mom or dad is well into their 70's or 80's.

I would like to ask you how can a BPD recover or become liter if there is no treatment, as over 95% of high functioning BPD will not seek treatment?   

Peter, it is difficult for a BPD to recover if they don't see themselves as having any problems.  I would think that most of that population continues to engage in difficult behaviors, but they may be more subtle... less acting out, more veiled threats and put downs.

GENERAL ANNOUNCEMENT

This board is intended for general questions about BPD and other personality disorders, trait definitions, and related therapies and diagnostics. Topics should be formatted as a question.

Please do not host topics related to the specific pwBPD in your life - those discussions should be hosted on an appropraite [L1] - [L4] board.

You will find indepth information provided by our senior members in our workshop board discussions (click here).

Randi Kreger
DSA Recipient

Person in your life: Parent

Author of the 'Essential Family Guide to BPD"

« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2010, 11:28:47 AM »

The new DSM-5 now has a range or scale for each of the traits of BPD. The clinician can rate how much each trait applies to each person instead of just saying yes or no. Google DSM-5 and you'll see.Randi KregerRandi @Author, "The Essential Family Guide to Borderline Personality Disorder: New Tools and Techniques to Stop Walking on Eggshells"Available at www.
Skip
Site Director

Person in your life: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2010, 11:35:06 AM »

The new DSM-5 now has a range or scale for each of the traits of BPD. The clinician can rate how much each trait applies to each person instead of just saying yes or no.

Thanks for highlighting this important point.   Doing the right thing

We have a discussion and links on the DSM 5 located here:

https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=114843.0

agast84

« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2010, 04:49:27 PM »

I am wondering if it is possible for someone to have many of the signs of BPD without the really scary stuff; violence toward self and others, promiscuous sex, and other things?

My W seems thsi way.
FoolishOne

Person in your life: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2010, 04:50:48 PM »

I've read that there are 257 derivations of BPD...that's quite a range!

"He who fights monsters might take care, lest he thereby becomes a monster" Neitzsche
ilovelife

« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2010, 10:14:15 PM »

I'm on this website because of my BPD ex partner, but once, not to long ago I would have considered myself BPD also. I feel like I fit all the main traits; deep fear of abandonment and also of getting close - the classic push pull, inability to regulate emotions, addictions, self-harming behaviors, looking for someone to save me, idolizing them, taking and taking and taking, and then throwing them away when they couldn't save me, black and white thinking, eating disorder. I didn't have the rage part of it... or a lot of the other behaviors I see on here like cheating, drinking, destroying things... but it was the best fit I could find for myself. I was hospitalized for suicidal behavior a few times, but never any diagnosis other then major depression. 

Although I know I have some lingering traits, like irrational fear of abandoment... I feel like I have had a miracle of healing - meaning I don't feel that intense emptyness inside anymore, where all those behaviors come from. My life is amazingly different, I feel like and get feedback that I am a different person.  So, that made me think that maybe my stuff was more PTSD, and just looking similiar. When I got involved with my ex BPD, I felt like we understood eachother, because we understood that intense BPD feeling... But, living with her showed me that if I am \ was BPD I am very mild comparitively.  And, I think she is mild on the whole spectrum too - definately high functioning and insightful.

I think the difference is that somehow I was able to really look at myself and look at my abuse, and deal with all the scary hard stuff that was underneath the BPD behaviors. But, most BPD's can't or aren't willing to do that.

Randi Kreger
DSA Recipient

Person in your life: Parent

Author of the 'Essential Family Guide to BPD"

« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2010, 08:22:55 AM »

I am wondering if it is possible for someone to have many of the signs of BPD without the really scary stuff; violence toward self and others, promiscuous sex, and other things?My W seems thsi way.

Yes, it is very possible. I have friends who have BPD who have never ever raged at me and have only been supportive.
Blossom

« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2010, 09:07:30 AM »

I am wondering if it is possible for someone to have many of the signs of BPD without the really scary stuff; violence toward self and others, promiscuous sex, and other things?

My W seems thsi way.

A diagnosis of BPD needn't require violence or aggression but for some, it may be a part of the Borderline behaviour. The person doesn't have to meet all the criteria to be diagnosed; neither does 'full blown' BPD necessitate the pwBPD being violent towards others.
El Greco

« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2010, 09:33:09 AM »

Yes, my ex is what they call a high functioning BPD, no selfharm or the other stuff what so  ever, but a bumpy ride nonetheless.

I asked the same question here the first time.

It might even be a Narcissistic personality disorder or a combination, it's really hard to define it.
agast84

« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2010, 02:26:38 PM »

I igured as much, but I jast wanted to see if anyone else understood what I have observed in life. Good to know I am not being silly.
Links and Information
CLINICAL INFORMATION
The Big Picture
5 Dimensions of Personality
BPD? How can I know?
Get Someone into Therapy
Treatment of BPD
Full Clinical Definition
Top 50 Questions

EDITORIAL DEPARTMENTS
My Child has BPD
My Parent/Sibling has BPD