Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 24, 2024, 05:04:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How to communicate after a contentious divorce... Following a contentious divorce and custody battle, there are often high emotion and tensions between the parents. Research shows that constant and chronic conflict between the parents negatively impacts the children. The children sense their parents anxiety in their voice, their body language and their parents behavior. Here are some suggestions from Dean Stacer on how to avoid conflict.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ive noticed quite a few of us are musicians, coincidence?  (Read 2108 times)
PDQuick
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Happily living with myself

Don't look outside for the answers within.

« on: April 26, 2007, 09:43:08 PM »

I am a musician, I play several instruments and sing. I did it quite more than a leisure hobby, actually, chased the dream of fame. Came somewhat close, but... Was just wondering how many else were, and it seems there are a lot here, more than the average percentage than out in life. I wonder if this makes us prone, or if our lifes pains bring us to music. Any thoughts?

Peace4us
Retired Staff

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 09:50:00 PM »

Hey quickie

My uBPDxh was a musician.

I am an artist in a former life, well sort of former, with a creative degree.

I do sing in the shower and in the car when alone and on a karoke stage when incredibly intoxicated, ok not so incredibly, but a little bit intoxicated.  DOES that make me count?

My daughter is in the bell choir?  My son in the sign language choir Smiling (click to insert in post)

Peace4us

There are two ways of spreading light, be the candle or the mirror that reflects it. E. Warton

PDQuick
Retired Staff

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 09:54:53 PM »

Peace, you dont need a thing to prove how remarkable you are. Your persona introduces you before you walk through the door. You have all the great attributes that in combination form the wonderful woman that you are. Besides, all musicians need a roadie. Peace, backstage manager and production agent! Yeah!

Peace4us
Retired Staff

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 09:59:49 PM »

:-*

Thanks PD

Now give me back my wine 

Peace

There are two ways of spreading light, be the candle or the mirror that reflects it. E. Warton

turtle
Retired Staff

Relationship status: I am happily single -- live alone and love it.

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2007, 12:30:23 AM »

PDQuick --- Yes, I'm a musician -- but you already know that.

I, too, have noticed how many people here are musicians/artistic/creative. However, I have also noticed how many of our bp's are musicians/artistic/creative.  Don't know what any of that means, but it's something that has definitely caught my attention.

Turtle

NewLifeforHGG
Retired Staff

Relationship status: separated

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2007, 01:21:06 AM »

I was as a child but I am creative.

Cap'n is a musician.

I played piano as a kid and can come up with catchy tunes with dtr.

ian

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007, 01:33:41 AM »

I am a musician, I play several instruments and sing. I did it quite more than a leisure hobby, actually, chased the dream of fame. Came somewhat close, but...

Yeah, sounds alot like me actually... I'm still hoping someday I'll have my life together enough to do it full time.
criticalmass06

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2007, 01:57:46 AM »

can not sing, not even close, it's bad real bad, but I can play a screamin guitar like nobodys business, It is so very threaputic for me.

worse then tyra banks...
elphaba
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Divorced (thankfully) and NC with EX - single and probably staying that way for a while

No good deed goes unpunished....

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2007, 06:53:07 AM »

Perhaps our creativity opens us to seeing things that others might not, also opens us to whackjobs unfortunately.

I sing, along with all of my other creative outlets...

Doucheboy sings, plays guitar/bass/keys and does recording - I asked him once what was more important to him:  having someone to love him forever...or...the 15 minutes of fame?  He said he was not sure...WTH?

Man...we should start a band here...I'll do PR and sing backup...

Jeffree

Relationship status: divorce

Encourage Mint

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2007, 08:15:35 AM »

I'm no musician (wish I was), but music is very, very important to me. I listen to it every chance I get. I have a system in my office (listening to string quartet's interpretation of Radiohead's Kid A lately), 6 CD changer in my car, nice system at home, an iPod, etc.

However, I am a writer by dream, and a trade magazine publisher by trade.

Perhaps our connection to the arts has to do with our innate desire to get in touch with our higher creative selves, to constantly challenge ourselves with new ways of expression, to persue our Godlike within ourselves.

And, let's not forget that nons just simply KICK ASS!

You guys and gals are the best.

--J

"Live as if your life depended on it." ~ Werner Erhard
johnfl

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2007, 09:57:32 AM »

cool thread...I played bass guitar for several years.  I don't play much anymore however, I know its "still there"  This post makes me think about how important it is to have a creative outlet in our lives.  I am considering picking up the guitar and taking lessons...and also looking into some new and different miusic to listen to. 
makeitstop

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2007, 10:17:44 AM »

PD,

I'm an engineer, maybe a question for another thread.  My T (formerly stbx) said that BPD's were attracted to the engineer type (i.e. logical).  So maybe engineers, accountants, and musicians are targets.

dj
PDQuick
Retired Staff

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2007, 10:37:17 AM »

Could be...Im very logical...and an over analyzer...I think...LOL!

cricket

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2007, 02:46:52 PM »

I would love to join the virtual F.T.F. band -- I play keyboards (pretty well) and a lousy guitar.  I'm also a classical pianist and oboist, although neither instrument is in my life at present.

I echo the poster who observed that more than a few of our BPDs are in the arts in some fashion as well -- my theory is that BPD-type behavior may be tolerated longer in a "creative" field than in a more traditional work environment.  That is, moodiness and self-dramatization can be chalked up to a "creative" personality, rather than somebody calling the BPD on their destructive behavior, and maybe that's why they end up in, or are drawn to, the arts.

Take it from the top, two, three, four,

Best,

cricket
StressedinCleveland

Relationship status: 2-year ongoing divorce court battle

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2007, 05:51:26 PM »

I play bass, too --mostly acoustic upright. I'm too old to rock n' roll (just kidding!).

I have operatic voice training --which I applied to singing country western professionally in college days.

My son plays 4 instruments and also composes and arranges sht music.

csandra

Relationship status: divorced since 11/07, separated since 12/05

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2007, 08:00:58 PM »

My son is also an upright bass player(wind ensemble, jazz band).

I play piano but I have to have music in front of me.  Wish I could play by ear or memory.  I also played in bell choir.  A few years ago I loosely joined a Sacred Harp/shape note group...it was really cool, they meet 4 times a month and just sing, never perform.  I went to their "convention" a few years ago and it was amazing to sing 4 part harmony with 200 people in a room with great acoustics.  They were NOT a religious organization and the members had a wide faith experience from none to pastors of all religions. 

In 2003 we bought my husband a ukulele for his birthday...it ruined our home and family.  He played ":)on't get around much Anymore", incessantly.  I should have seen that as some kind of sign. 

My daughter studied Suzuki violin for 6 years(about 6 years too long as she is left handed :-X).  I sang in church choir until I stopped going to church in 10/06.  Only recently started listening to music again.  Oh yeah, just got the piano fixed last week.  Think I'll go crank out a few tunes.
geroldmodel

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2007, 09:42:09 PM »

I played guitar in a band for 10 years...from 14 till 24

But never with the dream of making it some day,

it was more an outlet for emotions...

We did a lot of tours though and gave me the opportunity to see some other countries.

These days I am part of a crew which puts together shows for 500-1500 ppl.

My brother and I do some DJ stuff on those shows and we play abroad once in awhile...

Never thought of it as more than a hobby.

The knowledge of performing the next weekend makes me stressed and anxious all week.

I still have that every time, I must have been on stage for +100 times.

Never got that part

?

PDQuick
Retired Staff

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2007, 10:24:49 PM »

Strange, i never really got nervous, but when the lights hit, and the sound starts, I become so alive. all my friends, and people who know me were embarrassed almost when I performed. i was shy, and wont talk to anyone I dont know (hard to believe isnt it?) and I never approaced women I didnt know. Put a guitar in my hand, a microphone in front of my face and presto, I changed! It was so much fun being a different persona for a while. I used a stage name foe awhile at my managers request, It was Devon Rose.

garyw
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2007, 10:38:49 PM »

Used to have a rock and roll band years ago.

Played lead guitar. You would never wnat to hear me sing

Did gigs around central Illinois for about 6 years. ZZ Top, Grand Funk, some Hendrix just cover stuff.

Still have my ax a vintage Gibson SG7 serial # 000916

Sold the amps though but never the ax...It doesn't eat nothin 8)
PDQuick
Retired Staff

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2007, 11:04:39 PM »

Gary, beautiful guitar. It is worth a mint, hold onto it.

elizabeth87

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2007, 11:07:12 PM »

i sing and play the violin and piano--music is such a major part of my life and i love it!  Smiling (click to insert in post)
garyw
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2007, 11:19:05 PM »

Yes I plan to. I have tried playing a Les Paul and love them but my hands just can't get low on them. :P

Oh..now Haggis..I have heard him sing.

The vocals always get the action
PDQuick
Retired Staff

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2007, 11:24:57 PM »

I wish a Gibson hung on my wall, but my fingers are too large, and the neck too narrow. I have tried to play them, as they are fine instruments, but unfortunately, some chords are too hard to interchange. That is why I selected Fender. As far as vocals go, A good guitarist can match, or even out do a good vocalist, but I find the beauty of a subtle melodic string of notes only enhances it.

FallingLeaf

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2007, 03:05:05 AM »

Musician here  Smiling (click to insert in post)

Here is my thoery.

I have an "addict" personality. I get sucked into things as an escape. Video games, music, drugs (in a past life  ) and recently, my illusion of a relationship with a BPD.

Why? As an escape from my own feelings. As a child, in my FOO, I could not express my feelings. My parents wouldn't listen to what I had to say. My only outlet was... escaping my feelings.

My xBPDgf seems to have a "thing" for artists/musicians.

I dont mean to generalise, but I do think artists focus on their art to express what they couldn't express... or to escape... or both ?

My xBPDgs is an artist herself. She paints and sculpts. At first, I didn't get her art. Then when I realized she was BPD, and after reading SWOE, all of her art made sense to me. I see in her work who she is and how she sees the world. And I thought I could rescue her hah!

On the plus side, I have learned a lot about myself through the experience, and look forward to growing  Smiling (click to insert in post)

geroldmodel

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2007, 04:06:09 AM »

Excerpt
Here is my thoery.

I have an "addict" personality. I get sucked into things as an escape. Video games, music, drugs (in a past life  ) and recently, my illusion of a relationship with a BPD.

That would be me.

But I have had a very happy childhood.

Gary

That SG  :-* is fingerlicking and worth a ton !

criticalmass06

« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2007, 07:15:39 AM »

Nice SG Gary and  a low seriel #, very nice, Pd, I dig the fat clean balanced sound of the Les Paul especailly with a Marshall/tube amp and prefer the gibson smaller necks. Currently I play a takimine Sante Fe Acoustic ele, it has a nice hollow sound and with ele it goes well with jazz.
garyw
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2007, 08:42:10 AM »

One of my fantasys is to get on stage one more time and play La Grange by ZZ or Texas Flood by Stevie with a stack of Marshalls. ( love the sound of a Marshall)  makes the stage rumble.

Only know the beggining to to La Grange and none of Texas Flood and never had a Marshall behind me..just a Twin and it was too clean and wouldnt get dirtylike a Marshall without othet attachments.

Did a typo in the first post..I see I said SG7 when it should have been SGS :P  haven't picked it up in a long time.

Did a CD cover last year for a blues band and they said they would let me sit in if a got the song down (stage fright)  he uses my SG from time to time when he wants to use a slide . Other wise he palys Fender.

criticalmass06

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2007, 09:23:12 AM »

Do It, love the cover who is it if I may ask, I owned a  strat and a marshall when I was sixteen, washed alot cars and walked a lot of beans to buy those, man were they worth it, I think i paid 750 for both, man have times changed.

th sg if I remeber right the stings were up higher- better for a slide and was harder on the fingers.

something about a stage with a guitar and a wall of marshall stacks.

some of my favorites artist live with walls of marshalls were

edward van halen

Micheal schanker

joe satriani

angus young of acdc

sammy hagar

scorpins

zz top

Joe perry of aerosmith

and many more,

thanks for sharing

CM

garyw
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2007, 10:24:12 AM »

Excerpt
Do It, love the cover who is it if I may ask

Here's the funny part.

That guy and myself have been not close friends but friends for many years and we share a lot in common  even xgf.  Yep..he wound up being my xbpgf bf a couple guys after me so I must protect his identity to in a way also protect hers.She is a singer and did a few gigs with the band. He is the closest I have heard to Stevie ever. He has for years toured the U.S. and Canada but his CD's are doing better in Europe for some reason.

He is a really nice guy. Going fishing together in a couple weeks, and of course we have many stories to share ...he no longer goes with Cathy.

Yes he said he stes the strings higher when set up for slide.

He also does about a 5 minute version of Voodoo Child that will bring tears to your eyes.
garyw
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2007, 10:36:00 AM »

This is some he has shared the stage with:the Owtlaws, Molly Hatchet,Greg Allman, Buddy Guy,Johnny Winter,Elvin Bishop,The Marshall Tucker Band and many more.
elphaba
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Divorced (thankfully) and NC with EX - single and probably staying that way for a while

No good deed goes unpunished....

« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2007, 05:49:49 PM »

Gary, beautiful guitar...absolutely beautiful. 

Love that artwork on the cd as well...so many talents!

We certainly have a talented bunch of people here, really...

criticalmass06

« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2007, 09:25:38 PM »

He is a really nice guy. Going fishing together in a couple weeks, and of course we have many stories to share ...he no longer goes with Cathy.

He also does about a 5 minute version of Voodoo Child that will bring tears to your eyes.

I LOVE FISHING, where are you fishing and what for -ocean, river or lake ?

Hendrix cover songs, some artist ar fantastic at that , does he paly for one of his encores ?
garyw
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2007, 09:38:23 PM »

Were going bass fishing in strip mine lake.

He has his own band now. Usually 4 piece. Him on guitar, keyboard,drums and bass. On concerts he usually takes it up to 8 people sometimes 9, adds a sax and another guitar (rythum and trade off on leads) and 3 gal backup singers.
criticalmass06

« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2007, 09:42:09 PM »

bass are great fighters, have not fished them for years, sounds like a blast- have fun !

live music

I am going to see the following all this summer in outdoor amphitheater

bruce hornsby,

John Hiat, shaun colvin

buddy guy

robert cray

los lonely boys.

cant wait!

Pinnacle

Relationship status: married 34 yrs

« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2007, 12:46:38 AM »

I sang in a special traveling group during HS and I play the piano.  I taught all my kids to read music the same time I taught them to read words - thought they kinda went together - so now they all play multiple instruments.

I write children's books and and I write to my kids all the time. Here is something I wrote to my kids a few year's back on Mother's Day:

May 1, 2004

On Mother’s Day, I know that I speak for mothers all over the world when I thank my daughter and my sons for the privilege of being their Mom.

From the moment of your birth, I saw the world through different eyes. As an infant, the wonder and enchantment of your tiny being changed me from a young bride to a woman. Through you I was able to rediscover a bird’s song, a kitten’s tongue and a magical bubble floating up to the ceiling. You gave me the freedom to be silly and spontaneous, the reason the have patience and priorities and the ability to appreciate the silence and serenity that accompanies a warm bottle in the middle of the night. You made me a Mother.

As a young child, your endless questions constantly tested my knowledge and wisdom. You made me realize how very little I knew. So often we had to search together to find some answers and even then you had ten more questions. Your thirst for understanding taught me humbleness and humility.  You helped me grow inside.

As a teenager, your quest for idealism was daunting. Your views and ideas brought me back to my own teenage years and made me wonder what happened to the young woman that wanted to change the world. Your dreams and ideals set my heart on fire and made me realize that I had become too settled and accepting and that one person could make a difference. You gently forced me to come alive.

As young men and women you have now come to your own place in the world.  At times, when I look at the unrest and confusion in the world around us, I get concerned. But, as soon as I hear your voice or see your face, I know all is well. Your quest for wisdom and understanding is still zealous; your idealism is unwavering and your love and compassion for humanity grows every day. Someday soon the leadership baton will pass to you and I know you will be ready to lead with passion, humility and wisdom.  Thank you for the privilege of being your Mom.

Puddin
garyw
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2007, 01:08:36 AM »

Wow puddin

That needs to be published.

I envy you bring able to write.

You use the word Books with an s on the end.

I'm trying to write one and it seems like a life task :P
Mount Si

Relationship status: DIVORCED, FINALLY AMEN

« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2007, 01:20:03 AM »

I am a Martin Guitar man myself.  The best I ever owned was a Smartwood Cherry model.  Currently I own a D16 Gloss Top.  Nothing like some solid licks to melt the blues ice cube down enough so you can fit it into life.

WWMKD?

(What would Mark Knopfler do?)
Pinnacle

Relationship status: married 34 yrs

« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2007, 08:26:28 PM »

Gary, The problem is most people think too much when they write.  Its kinda like music... You have to let if flow from your heart through your fingers.  If you think about it too much your brain gets jammed up.

When I lived in Boston and was home schooling the kids we would spend hours just sitting at the Boston Common.  Their job was to pick someone coming up from the Subway or someone sitting on a bench and write about what kind of life they were going home to. It had to be in first person format.  It was so much fun for all.  They are all great writers now.

Treat your writing like your music and beautiful art.  Just let it happen and make it fun. 

Puddin
criticalmass06

« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2007, 10:04:47 PM »

MountSi, Martins are the best, played one once,

wwmkd.

he would call sonny landreth the guitarist for John Hiatt,

ps

going to sse them this summer. 8)
ian

« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2007, 02:03:03 AM »

Wow, since we are on guitars I've got a pretty nice Les Paul Studio that I put some z-90s into (boutique p-90s, single coil) and I play it through I Top Hat King Royale amplifier which is kind of like a more agressive Vox AC30. Been having some good times with those two lately. I like a jangly Pete Townsend or The Edge kind of sound. I've also been known to rock out with Taylor steel string which is my favorite lately

I play a Roland JP-8000 synthesizer which is fun times. Sometimes I make downtempo electronic with the yamaha sequencer/sampler like Boards of Canada or Massive Attack.

I used to be a cellist, but my favorite instrument is actually drums. You play them with your whole body and they are so visceral. I wish I had some of those.
criticalmass06

« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2007, 02:30:53 AM »

Ian, should of pick you for a Brit, no pun intended just joiking with you.  I saw Pete townsend play back in 1979, I belive he used Hiwatt same as daivd gilmore of pink floyd, what a nice clean fat sound,  and the inventer of the windmill I belive

your country was and still is the brithplace for some major guitar gods so to speak

Jimmy page and more. never been across the pond- someday.

the les paul studio is one fine sweet guitar, very cool

you are quite the well rounded musicain- that is wonderful. I would like to paly more, after I straighten some things out here- I think i will.

thanks

CM
ian

« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2007, 06:32:51 PM »

Alas my Scottish heritage is only third generation, I am from the Pacific Northwest. There is a semi-famous brit pop lead singer with my same name (at least one).

David Gilmour...my hero. I'm all about the Floyd.
criticalmass06

« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2007, 06:59:02 PM »

Gilmour is a outstanding guitarist!
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest