Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 29, 2024, 10:41:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
PSYCHOLOGY: Help us build this database.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TREATMENT: Electro Shock Treatment (ECT) and Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation  (Read 3671 times)
lalaland

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2011, 12:49:16 AM »

Thanks, Susadone, any others have any feedback for us?  This is not a scam... .please look up TMS on internet... .I just wonder if others with BPD have tried it?  Thanks again

GENERAL ANNOUNCEMENT

This board is intended for general questions about BPD and other personality disorders, trait definitions, and related therapies and diagnostics. Topics should be formatted as a question.

Please do not host topics related to the specific pwBPD in your life - those discussions should be hosted on an appropraite [L1] - [L4] board.

You will find indepth information provided by our senior members in our workshop board discussions (click here).

justwantedafamily

Relationship status: married, 34 years

« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2011, 05:30:37 PM »

Lalaland, I saw a segment on the national new about TMS.  I thought about it for my own dd30.  If you do have this procedure, I would be most interested to know how it worked for your dd.  Please keep us updated?  I wish I could help you with your questions, but I don't know personally of anyone who has undergone this treatment.
lalaland

« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2011, 12:35:24 AM »

Thank you, the ones who responded.  Now my daughter arrived here and I am hesitating re this procedure.  I just don't think it's enough... .sorry for the left turn, but now we are thinking about an even more expensive, but maybe a more thorough option.  To put her in a facility that deals directly with BPD for a few months.  It's in Malibu, Optimum Performance Institute.  She seems great right now and it's hard to even imagine the rage that erupts... .So I am undecided what to do.  She is excited about OPI... .for us itt means taking out loans, etc., but what to do?  Thank you for reading this.
annamre1010

Relationship status: married

« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2011, 12:47:26 AM »

I heard it does not work for BPD... .It can make things worse... .dont do it. I think there are people who dont know what else to do & try this... .
pennifree

Relationship status: married, 26 years

« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2011, 02:09:06 PM »

dear lalaland,

TMS is a solid treatment.  Safe, easy and painless, little to no side effects.  I know this because I took this treatment myself for several sessions.  Not for BPD, but for resistant, debilitating depression.  It is the sort of treatment that builds with time and it's efficacy isn't known until after several treatments.  It was working for me.  I felt better than I had for years and then something happened that prevented me from taking further treatments (about half way through) and I do not know if I might have got better with more sessions.

I do not know that this would work for BPD the same as it did for depression, but it does make sense that stimulating the right part of the brain just might help bring about some positive change.

Whichever course of treatment you do end up choosing, the outcome will be partially dependant upon the willingness of your D to be an active participant in her treatment. 

I wish you all the best with your choice, and on the road to recovery for your D

Take good care,

pennifree  xoxo
asaddad

« Reply #35 on: February 29, 2012, 08:16:59 AM »

Hi

just wondered if anyone has any experience of ect (Electro convulsive therapy) being used in treatment of BPD? Wes it effective or did it cause more problems?

asaddad
Battle Weary

« Reply #36 on: February 29, 2012, 09:21:15 AM »

I have the same question about the much milder approach of transcranial magnetic stimulation.
Thursday

Relationship status: married for one month (!)

« Reply #37 on: February 29, 2012, 09:36:34 AM »

My late mother in law was BPD before that was a diagnoses. She was largely drugged (little yellow pills) and given shock therapy many, many times when she would get very disregulated and have to go to the hospital.

I didn't know her before the shock therapy but my husband reported that it took some of her meanness away. She was still borderline but no longer violent nor as rageful. And maybe it was her age, maturity etc.

I'm sure techniques and knowledge has increased since those days (late 50's, early 60s).

Thursday
HappyGoLucky

« Reply #38 on: February 29, 2012, 08:33:08 PM »

My DD had ECT... .

I was not happy about her having it... .

I made it very clear to her doctors and her therapist that i was against it.

It was something that she felt she needed to do as her depression was not being helped by prescribed medication.

DD had 9 treatments and was happy to have more... .

But the doctors did not see any difference... .in actual fact... .they called it the "placebo effect".

DD still thinks that she felt better afterwards... .but not enough for the doctors to do it again.

In fact... .she does ask for it... .when things get bad for her!

Happygolucky

We were given a lot of information about the procedure and it has improved out of sight compared to many many years ago!

I know of people who have it as maintenance for their depression, every 12 months to 2 years, sometimes as early and six months. These people function normally in their daily lives, but it is the last resort when medication doesn't seem to work.
OffMyRocker

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2017, 02:34:44 PM »

It looks like this thread got a bit off-topic.  Anyone else here have more info on ECT or TMS treatments for my BPD daughter who suffers from severe, disabling depression?
SeaCliff

« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2017, 02:59:18 PM »

Are viruses and parasites the main cause of personality disorder traits? If so, some frequency zappers made by people like Royal Rife have had tremendous success over the years.

infinitebonds.com/how-parasites-viruses-and-mold-disconnect-people/

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Links and Information
CLINICAL INFORMATION
The Big Picture
5 Dimensions of Personality
BPD? How can I know?
Get Someone into Therapy
Treatment of BPD
Full Clinical Definition