July 22, 2014, 10:02:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Moderators: DreamGirl, LettingGo14, P.F.Change, Rapt Reader
Advisors: an0ught, Mutt, livednlearned, pessim-optimist, Turkish, Waverider
Ambassadors: BacknthSaddle, corraline, cosmonaut, DreamFlyer99, free'n'clear, Kwamina, lever, maxen, maxsterling, woodsposse
  Directory Guidelines Glossary   Boards   Help Login Register  
bing
Think About It... An individual’s overall life functioning is linked closely to his level of emotional maturity or differentiation. People select ... partners who have the same level of emotional maturity.
Emotional immaturity manifests in unrealistic needs and expectations. ~ Murray Bowen, M.D.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blood Fascination/Obsession  (Read 1451 times)
vault101dweller

« on: November 25, 2011, 05:03:46 PM »

My partner suffers from very intrusive violent thoughts as a result of her BPD but she also seems to have a fascination with blood. She has been cutting for the past few weeks and I have since found out she also keeps a small container with her blood in. Now none of this is normal but I was wondering if this is a common trait amongst sufferers?. I am also seeking advice on how I should handle this situation? should I take it off of her? maybe confront her? she doesn't know I know yet but surely keeping this disturbing object is detrimental to her progress.
samsara

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 07:17:45 PM »

Is she being treated by a doctor?  It might bear mentioning to the doc, but to confront her on it is probably a bad idea.

I have read in numerous places that BPD sufferers do sometimes resort to cutting / self-harm.

"Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars." - Khalil Gibran
GENERAL ANNOUNCEMENT: Are you on the right board?
This board is for analyzing and making the decision to either continue working on your relationship or to leave it. If you have already please advance to "L3 Leaving" or the "L4 Staying" board.
All members living with a pwBPD should learn to use the Stop the Bleeding tools - boundaries, timeouts and other basic tools - to better manage the day to day interactions with your partner. If you have questions on any of the tools, feel free to go over to Staying: Improving a Relationship with a Borderline Partner and ask for help. :-)
vault101dweller

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 07:27:12 PM »

She is seeing both her GP and a therapist. I was thinking of contacting her therapist but I'm not sure what they would be able to do or if they could even speak to me because of confidentiality issues.
samsara

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 12:06:39 PM »

Perhaps you could contact the GP, let them know you've seen her cutting, and leave it at that.  They can check her for signs of self-harm as part of a normal exam.    My ex-bf (uBPD) and I are still living together.  He has been very ill lately (since he lost his job back in July) - and one of the suggestions given to me by the employee assistance program I have access to at work, was to contact HIS primary care physician to offer concerns about him being potentially suicidal.  (Unfortunately, he hasn't been to his doc in about 2 years, so that wasn't going to work)

Still, in your case, as long as your lady is seeing a doc regularly, it might bear mentioning to them.  The GP could tell the therapist if he/she sees signs of cutting, and it could all be managed without you having to say a word to her about it.

"Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars." - Khalil Gibran
Links and Information
Tools
Validation
Ending Cycle of Conflict
Triggering and Wisemind
Values and Boundaries
Becoming more empathetic?
On-Line CBT Program
>> More Tools

Video
What is BPD - Family
What is BPD - Romantic