Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
November 28, 2014, 05:47:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Moderators: DreamGirl, Rapt Reader
Advisors: formflier, Kwamina, livednlearned, maxen, Mutt, pessim-optimist, Turkish, Waverider
Ambassadors: free-n-clear, lever, Moselle, NorthernGirl, tristesse, Ziggiddy
  Directory Guidelines Glossary   Boards   Help Login Register  
bing
Beware of Junk Psychology... Just because it's on the Internet doesn't mean it's true. Not all blogs and online "life coaches" are reliable, accurate, or healthy for you. Remember, there is no oversight, no competency testing, no registration, and no accountability for many sites - it is up to you to qualify the resource. Learn how to navigate this complicated arena... ~ BPDFamily Staff
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: High functioning vs. Low functioning BPD  (Read 2289 times)
redberry

« on: July 15, 2012, 11:03:44 PM »

I don't mean to use the word "loser" as a pejorative to insult anybody, but when I think of the basics of what our society expects, it is a pretty accurate word to describe my ex.  "winning" isn't exactly what comes to mind (if I am being honest).  I can tell myself time and again he's "trying," but his attempts at a successful life prove futile and only set him farther back, every single time.  He always, and I mean always, sabotages himself... and in the process digs his a hole a little deeper.

My ex waif has a dead end job that he hates, no money, was served an eviction notice for unpaid rent, mounds of debt, terrible grades and suspended from college, no realistic prospects for financial or career success, a string of failed relationships, a drinking, drug, and gambling problem.  He goes through life with an angry/depressed look on his face, overdue bills, nobody wants to share living space with him because he doesn't pay his bills...  I don't see things getting any better for him, in fact they have gotten progressively worse.

I was just wondering if other people who were involved with BPDs (especially waifs) saw similar (self-imposed) struggles that are really unnecessary?  It is this reminder of his slowly spiraling downward lifestyle that gives me strength to stay away.  I don't want his ever expanding list of problems to become my problems.
CaptainM
Emeritus

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 11:31:29 PM »

I was just wondering if other people who were involved with BPDs (especially waifs) saw similar (self-imposed) struggles that are really unnecessary?

Definitely. My ex would set her expectations of herself so high and yet put so many impediments in her own way it made things so incredibly hard for herself and only further reinforced her own feelings of failure and the world being out to get her.

Where I would try to roll with the punches an accept good things when they were within reach, my ex would find praise so hard to fathom that even rewards to her career were looked at with suspicion or as though she wasn't good enough to fulfil expectations.

Despite all this she still managed moderate success in her career and in a few other aspects of life - but it was always (and I'd wager always will be) a constant struggle to keep that ship steady.

It is this reminder of his slowly spring downward lifestyle that gives me strength to stay away.  I don't want his ever expanding list of problems to become my problems.

Absolutely. We can't help those who don't want help, and we often have enough on our own plate as it is.  Doing the right thing

maria1

Actions speak louder than words

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 01:27:31 AM »

Mine wasn't/isn't a loser by most standards. But he lives largely off other people. He has spent all his divorce settlement money on an Audi tt and furnishing a beautiful flat. The flat he bought with money from his mother.

His ex wife worked in a well paid job and he made a big deal of the fact that he worked part time to do the child care. Now I realise he loved working part time. He's a self employed craftsman and very good at what he does.

He owned a successful business for 10 years and says he got out when it was really successful as he couldnt cope with the stress of success. No idea if that's true but I do think the business did well.

Denial is what we use to shut out our awareness of things that would be too disturbing to know. It is the shock absorber for the soul.
Slowlybutsurely

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 01:45:29 AM »

Mine was the opposite of a loser. She had such charisma, a good job, many gifts and talents, a million friends, her finances 100% together, beautiful and successful. She had everything but good emotional/mental health. Very sad.
GENERAL ANNOUNCEMENT: Are you on the right board?
This board is for members with failed or failing relationships that want to detach from their relationship and relationship wounds. If you are still analyzing the decision to stay, please post on Undecided: Staying or Leaving
All members living with a pwBPD should learn to use the Stop the Bleeding tools - boundaries, timeouts and other basic tools - to better manage the day to day interactions with your partner. If you have questions on any of the tools, feel free to go over to Staying: Improving a Relationship with a Borderline Partner and ask for help. :-)
anna58

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 02:31:03 AM »

Mine always struggles and blames his childhood or society. He knows his mind is unbalanced but won't go to therapy or take medication (he used to be addicted to valium). He is proud that he keeps going and pushing through despite how bipolar and unbalanced he is.

He is a writer and has had no income for at least 2 years. He won't accept "lowly" work. He isn't really looking for freelance work; says it's not out there. He wrote and sold a script in Los Angeles, for a lot of money, about 5 years ago. He is talented. But can't make his way in the world. He is homeless. Stays with friends or travels and gets short-term rentals. Unstable. Very unstable.

He finds a woman (like me) and then follows her, befriends her, and latches on to her.  Looks like I'm "it". Dammit. I am struggling to stop with my codependent stuff. Writing this helps.
the_way_back

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 06:49:04 AM »

Yup

Mine has even started to dress and behave like one.

She can't keep anything stable or consistent. She quits jobs (or gets fired) after a year or so. She's never tried to do anything about being financially secure and uses others as "meal tickets" and uses our children as leverage to do this.

Sad really.

Some people just want to watch the world burn
wdone

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 07:20:26 AM »

yes, he has very low-end jobs that he is ashamed of, and he finds them hard to keep. 

he is obsessed with "being successful," and cannot seem to do it.

his boss/sponsor/friends have asked me why he works the jobs he does, and why he always loses them. 

he himself calls himself "a loser" "a retard" "dysfunctional" when he is not projecting that onto me.

once we were in a counseling session and he just kept saying he just needs to stop being a loser and be successful, just had to find a good job. 

funny things is i don't CARE about that stuff..i mean, it did open my eyes when i saw hiim losing these easy jobs left and right. it would be NICE if he could keep a job, or make some money.  he does work hard, and works 2 or 3 jobs to pay the bills. until he sabotoges or gets fired again.

he wears the same jeans over and over, and dirty, smelly, holey socks day after day sometimes.  i don't know if loser is the right term..it is more like ILL or DYSFUNCTIONAL.   but, yes, many in our culture would say he's a loser. 

he is so charasmatic though and good looking, and smart,  that i think this is overlooked, until he's been at a job for a while or until people get to know him.

(i guess we all equate loser with lack of money or job and winner as job and money) wink

this too shall pass...
ConfusedMichael

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 07:38:04 AM »

Wdone is right I think, these are traits that stem directly from the illness itself.

My own ex was extremely intelligent, but the stress of dealing with regular lectures, lessons and exams was too great for her.  Since dropping out of college she has only been able to find basic, unskilled work that she hates, working for people she considers to be idiots.  It rarely takes very long for her to lose her patience and her temper and tell them where they can shove their job.

Many BPD sufferers (if not all) also tend to also have addictive personalities.  This can manifest itself in alcohol, drugs, gambling, spending sprees that cannot be afforded, promiscuous sex, and of course the addiction to the relationships themselves, which they repeat over and over without ever seeming to learn from the cycles.  None of this is going to leave them in a great position in life.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 08:22:23 AM by ConfusedMichael » Logged
MaybeSo
Distinguished Member

Players only love you when they're playing...

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 08:56:27 AM »

No, he has two college degrees and owns his own professional firm.

T. Moore

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 09:10:25 AM »

Yes,
She grew up with money and felt entitled to everything she had.  She had college paid for and dropped out after two years (before I met her).  Held a job while we were dating but had no ambition to do anything else.  Then she got pregnant with our 1st child and we got married.  From then on I was her sole support until about 5 yrs ago when a trust was activated in installments.  Even then she couldn't control her addictions (spending, alcohol, drugs).  She had every opportunity and the means, time and money to go back to school or even get a job, but chose to sit at home and do nothing but get drunk/take drugs and wallow in self pity.  I used to tell her if she didn't like how her life was going she could change it if she wanted to.  She never listened to my advice and always took it as critism.  She also surrounds herself with "losers" like herself so she doesn't have to feel worse about who she is. 

T. Moore
2015 Community Sponsors
Keeping BPDFamily on the air
We are all appreciative of the thoughtful men and women who provide the support, education, and brotherhood that keep BPDFamily on the air and make a difference in our lives. To all, thank you for this wonderful resource.

123Phoebe
Alex86
antifragile
Aurora7
Aussie JJ
Aussieman
beatup
BlackandBlue
blissful_camper
bobbyvp
Bookworm77
bpdfamfan
captain4464
catclaw
caughtnreleased
chooselove
chump
claudiaduffy
Cmjo
ColdEthyl
Conundrum
corraline
coworkerfriend
Cumulus
dar
Dark star
Dire Wolf
doubleAries
Dutched
Emelie Emelie
enlighten me
findingmyselfagain
forget-me-not
freedom33
FreeMeGal
fromheeltoheal
Gagrl
gettin-unstuck
goldylamont
HappyChappy
Harri
HealingSpirit
Heartandsole
heartandwhole
Hope26
imataloss
Inside
Intent_to_learn
jellibeans
joolz29
jthorpejr
KarenDH
kc sunshine
kiddfei
kidsteele
Kwamina
KQuestionsItAll
landofoz
Leelou
Leelou
lever
Lmls
Loveofhislife
MammaMia
maxen
Memorial Donation
Mike76
Mommy108
Mr Hollande
Narellan
NeedHelpPls
Nope
NorthernGirl
oblivian2013
P.F.Change
pallavirajsinghani
Panda39
patientandclear
Patty
Pingo
Pou
preciousme
Progress Not Perfection
qcarolr
qkslvrgirl
Rapt Reader
raytamtay3
Reforming
Rifka
rj47
rollercoaster24
Ross O
sanemom
schwing
SCM
seahorse
Should I stay or...
SistersKeeper
Skip
Soulslider
Surnia
swampped
sweetheart
Take2
Theo41
thereishope
TigerEye
ToLiveAgain
toomanytears
trappedinlove
Turkish
twojaybirds
Up In the Air
Vindi
vre
waverider
Whichwayisup
whirlpoollife
White_Lily
winston72
zenwexler
Pay it forward Here

If you made a donation and your name does not appear on this list here , please contact us so that we may confirm that the payment was properly credited to BPDFamily.

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Top Spacer
index.php?topic=136462.msg1331265#msg1331265