Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 26, 2024, 03:10:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: She says now that I can see my family, but still refuses to let them see 2yoS  (Read 359 times)
guitarguy09

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Relationship status: Married

« on: March 24, 2014, 10:24:13 AM »

Last night I talked with my uBPDw about how our struggles with my family had gone on long enough and that I was going to take my son over to see my parents for his birthday. They were not included in the main birthday party we had at our church because of the tensions going on in the family. After a long drawn out argument and lots of blaming on her part, she says "fine, you can go and be with your family, but leave me and (son) out of it". She doesn't get that his other grandparents need to see him too. So my question is... . what legal rights do I have to take him to go see them? Do we have to work it out? I can go see them, but ultimately they want to see him too.
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

an0ught
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner
Relationship status: married

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 05:36:13 PM »

Hi guitarguy09,

have you validated her dislike of the grandparents? Her fear of bad influence (if present)?

just asking for completeness. I guess it is like you said that she is using the son as a lever against you. That is disgusting and you are understandably upset. That may be another thing to validate

"you are using son against me. What will son think of you in a few years when he understands what you have done?".

but then this may be also handled with boundaries. Knowing the legal situation may be good - arguing it with her however will not help you. Have you checked with the legal board?

Writing is self validation. Writing on bpdfamily is self validation squared!
SweetCharlotte

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Recently estranged. Married 8.5 years, together 9 years. Long-distance or commuter relationship.

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 06:22:10 PM »

There is such a thing as Grandparents' Rights, a growing area for legislation.

Your parents could check to see whether they have a legal right (not going through your intervention as parent) to demand visitation with their grandchild.

Of course, if your BPDw ever found out that you encouraged them to take this approach, you could suffer. You could leave a newspaper clipping or Internet print-out concerning the laws of your state or province concerning Grandparents' Rights in plain view for them.
Grey Kitty

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 08:16:18 PM »

Two thoughts:

1. If you are interested in legal rights, the family law (divorce & custody) board will probably have more to suggest for you, 'tho most things over there look pretty ugly.

2. Changing your situation regarding your family and your wife and son will hopefully not involve a legal custody dispute, in which case, you want to use the sort of tools we have here on the staying board.

My first suggestion is to start enforcing boundaries and asserting your rights.

You should not need any approval on her part to spend as much time as you want with your family. So don't ask for approval; just do it, and tell her that you are doing it.

You shouldn't be punished for this activity, but if you are, that is where enforcing boundaries about verbal abuse, etc. comes in.

Perhaps you should solidify your situation at this level first--spend more time with your parents and family, and do not let her stop you, and don't accept punishment from her on it.

The next step is spending time with your son and your family. I'd wait until you felt solid on just spending time with them yourself first. After that, you can decide how you want to handle this--she really doesn't have a right to keep your son away from your parents... . but you don't have a lot of rights to take her son from her either, so it can get messy.
guitarguy09

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 12:32:22 PM »

an0ught - I have validated it in the past, but I probably could start doing that more lately. She definitely fears a bad influence. She equates her rejection from the family (mostly because of bringing things up constantly and nasty emails) as my son's rejection from the family. She doesn't want him to have to go through that rejection. I have brought up how she is keeping him from his grandparents and that is wrong, but haven't talked about him being used against me. I'll try that.

SweetCharlotte - As for the grandparents rights question - I checked on a legal website and in my state, those rights only exist if I am separated or divorced from my wife. But it could be out of date.

Grey Kitty – I hope we don’t have to go that route as well. So far she has been pretty unreasonable about it, and I and my family have been getting really impatient. I will definitely check out the legal stuff if it come s to that. That’s a really good suggestion to just get comfortable going over there by myself, then see if I can bring my son with me.

Update on the situation: I have scheduled a separate birthday party with my parents on Sunday afternoon. My wife’s dad and stepmom are watching him this weekend, and I am planning on telling them to drop him off at my parents house then and I will meet them over there. I at least need to get him over there once for his birthday.

guitarguy09

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 11:05:05 AM »

I have some great news! So with a little help from her dad, I was able to pull off going over to see my parents with my son. My wife even came along, because I think she does still want to stay on the good side of her dad. He has helped us out a lot money-wise as well as fixed our cars when they needed repairs (most not all). Everyone ended up having a really good time, and I think our relationship with my parents is definitely on the mend. They were thrilled to celebrate my son's birthday with him. I would consider this a big victory. Now it was not without some of her getting totally pissed off at me on Saturday night, and complaining all the way to my parents house, but I barely heard any complaints on the way home and she seems happier overall now.  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)
Grey Kitty

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 07:46:34 PM »

That is great news!

Of course, it may change again. Do be ready to make sure that you at least get enough time with your family, and eventually that your son has a r/s with them as well.

Understanding your own boundaries and how to enforce them is important even when you don't *need* them now.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest