Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 26, 2024, 03:14:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Near or in break-up mode?
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Escaping Conflict and the Karpman Drama Triangle
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How many actual success stories are there?  (Read 412 times)
janey62

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner
Relationship status: Uncertain...

« on: June 29, 2014, 05:52:17 AM »

I'm going mad and I've come on here to maybe find some words of comfort... .

My father, from whom I was estranged, just died and I'm so sad and feel immense regret that I didn't just make him talk to me.  His funeral was two days ago and I'm still inconsolable.  My BPDp who was going to come with me to the funeral, which I was afraid might feel extra awkward because of the estrangement, didn't come, predictably.  Instead he did his own dramatic thing and is now hurling abuse at me, saying that I treated my father badly which was why he didn't want to talk to me.  He is telling me the usual stuff, that I'm selfish, manipulative, spoilt, etc., but the attacks about my father really hurt and I feel murderous and as if my rage and frustration and hurt are boiling over.  

Lucky for him he is 30 miles away because I would love to smash his face in right at this moment... .

I was driving to the funeral to bury the father I loved who rejected and abandoned me over and over in my life, unaccompanied as it turned out by the partner I love who has rejected and abandoned me over and over again in the past two years, and I couldn't really avoid seeing a pattern... .

Am I pathetic?  Am I so weak and needy that I will allow myself to be kicked around like a stray dog by this man hoping for a few crumbs of kindness and love when he is not too busy being sick?

My question is, how many actual success stories are there?  From reading the headings on this board the general impression is of misery, confusion and desperation!  

My father is dead so he can't hurt me any more.  My partner can, if I let him... .

God help me, I need the strength to walk away and stay away before the sad mess that is my life becomes too broken to be valid.  I'm so angry... .

On the there side, my BPDp is on a course of Lithium and it hasn't had a chance to work yet.  He is in a state, I know this, yet he lashes out and hurts the person who cares most, knowing exactly how to hurt me the most and ensure that he alienates me.  What kind of a monster would say cruel things to someone who has just lost their father?  

I don't know how to come back from this.

:'(  Janey
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

waverider
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 09:27:17 AM »

A previously related thread on success, and what it means to different people

Is success possible?

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
Wanda

Relationship status: in second marriage for 20 years on valentines day

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 01:54:13 PM »

like many all depend on what you see as a success.

on top under success you will see my post, and many, my husband to this day doesNt know about BPD we have been married 16 years. i have know just as long. things got better, which is why i am not on here often i am on here to remind me he has BPD,and to help others

since coming on here many years ago there was one success but i don't see her on here either. her husband actually had the THERApy needed. and went through it all.   

waverider
Retired Staff

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 05:31:27 PM »

like many all depend on what you see as a success.

on top under success you will see my post, and many, my husband to this day doesNt know about BPD we have been married 16 years. i have know just as long. things got better, which is why i am not on here often i am on here to remind me he has BPD,and to help others

since coming on here many years ago there was one success but i don't see her on here either. her husband actually had the THERApy needed. and went through it all.   

That is a good reminder Wanda, folks are most likely only on here when they are struggling and need help. So the perceived stats will be skewed

Grey Kitty

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 06:03:42 PM »

I guess it depends what you mean by success.

I know the first "success" I found was learning to stand up to abuse, assert boundaries, be much less invalidating, and start working on doing more validation.

Later successes were when my wife started working on herself in more productive ways than she had been before. I'd say it is about a year since I've seen much of any BPD behaviors at all. For the last few months, she's run into some serious depression and anxiety, but (amazingly!) accepts that her feelings are just that, feelings, and that they aren't my fault. I couldn't have imagined that when I first showed up on this board!

Learning to change your own behavior is the hardest part. I was talking to a new friend who was raised by messed up (possible BPD and/or NPD) parents, and only learned as she put it to "stop arguing with reality" a few years ago, after decades of drama and two marriages to alcoholics.

I consider it a success when somebody reclaims their self and their life--whether their partner comes along with them or stays stuck in the same old pit!
waverider
Retired Staff

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 06:06:50 PM »

"stop arguing with reality"

I like that term, cornerstone of acceptance, hope you dont mind if I steal it occasionally

Grey Kitty

Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 08:02:49 PM »

"Arguing with reality" isn't even my phrase to loan out... . and the friend who shared it with me is very generous! Please take all the liberties with it you want, waverider! I'm pretty sure I've repeated some of yours already Smiling (click to insert in post)
ziniztar

Relationship status: I chose to end the r/s end of October 2014. He cheated and pushed every button he could to push me away until I had to leave.

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 05:56:38 AM »

To me success is progress, in either him or me, no matter how small. As long as there is progress, there is hope for a better future. 
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest