Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 26, 2024, 09:30:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Depression = 72% of members
Take the test, read about the implications, and check out the remedies.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I need to vent  (Read 401 times)
ziniztar

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: I chose to end the r/s end of October 2014. He cheated and pushed every button he could to push me away until I had to leave.

« on: July 28, 2014, 12:49:50 PM »

This week my d(d!d!d!)BPDbf's mom slipped into the conversation that she really didn't understand what we (me, his siblings, himself) are all after. That she feels like we're all searching for hapiness but that life simply sometimes is difficult. That the reason all her children have been in therapy before age 25 because they grew up in a toxic environment is some form of 'overreacting'. She even mentioned (and this infuriates me) that my situation (dying mom at age 5) was a lot worse than her son's and that after 1,5 years of therapy 'at some point it is enough'. When I reminded her of the bullying & beating he has endured during elementary and high school she paused and said 'Oh yeah. Yeah. Ok. That was bad.' This is the same person who has mentioned to me that the diagnosis did not give any additional value to her as she loved her son the way he is and that they wouldn't change anything in their approach towards him because of it.

On other occasions she turns a normal conversation towards her unability to cope with my bf and how she has been doubting her own parenting style - probably hoping someone to tell her "you've done a great job, don't worry about it". Well every time she says this it is afwfully silent.

I know that exactly this (not taking the diagnosis seriously, not taking his feelings seriously, sending out a signal that he is overreacting) hurts my bf to the bone. I find it so incredibly ignorant that we have all the knowledge and support at our disposal, that he is doing his outmost best to heal from this and that they're so unwilling to just read a damn book about the disorder and understand what has tormented their family for such a long time. The solution is so simple yet they refuse to see anything outisde their picture perfect world.

It's heartbreaking to see and I wish I could help them but I won't. I know that my dBPDbf could (and sometimes does) say the same things and feel the same type of resentment towards my father. I know this has resentment and non-acceptance written all over the place but I just really needed to vent.  :'(
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

123Phoebe
Staying and Undecided

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 01:23:28 PM »

Vent away, ziniztar!  Sometimes things seem just so outrageous it's like... .sheesh whatever!

I give you credit for even discussing these things with his mother; I wouldn't go there with my guy's mom.  They are in deep denial about anything a little off; if it makes them fake-happy-close and able to carry on relations then so be it, is my philosophy.  There are times that he'll do something and it makes me wonder if he's reenacting a situation that 'mom' reacted badly to, but I set the thought aside and respond with what feels comfortable to me.  I'm not touching their dynamics with a 10-foot pole.  He's taught me the art of compartmentalization

Your bf's mom sounds a lot like my mom.  She takes issue with most everyone's issues, thinks they're daft, but they should just get over it and no way does she believe she has contributed to any of it.  I'm not going to change her.  I feel for your bf; it's a long road realizing that your mom doesn't have your best interest at heart, that she can't give that love away freely.  Recovery can take a while.

No advice really, I can relate though

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest