Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 26, 2024, 11:15:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Before you can make things better, you have to stop making them worse... Have you considered that being critical, judgmental, or invalidating toward the other parent, no matter what she or he just did will only make matters worse? Someone has to be do something. This means finding the motivation to stop making things worse, learning how to interrupt your own negative responses, body language, facial expressions, voice tone, and learning how to inhibit your urges to do things that you later realize are contributing to the tensions.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Not sure what to do with this mess that only one with BPD could create...  (Read 402 times)
sanemom

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: September 18, 2014, 02:19:11 PM »

BG:  DH was told that DSD was his so he married BPD mom after a one night stand.  He did not find out until a few years ago that DSD is not biologically his (his name is on the birth certificate, he went through the pregnancy with her, etc).  Knowing who BPD mom was dating right before him, and looking at both DSD and the guy, he is pretty confident he is the father.  Problem is, BPD mom is telling both DSD and everyone else that her bio dad is someone else entirely (and you only have to look at skin color to know she is lying about it).  And like I have said before, DSD seems to believe everything that BPD mom says.

DSD is almost 18.  DH feels that the guy has a right to know he has a child and is questioning his moral obligation here.  He is also wondering if this would open a Pandora's box he doesn't want to deal with.

It IS possible, maybe even likely, that the guy, once finding out, will do nothing with the information.  He has his own family.

In terms of thinking of best interest of DSD, we really have no idea.  On one hand, I think she is curious and wants to know.  On another hand, I think she wants to maintain her denial about BPD mom.

Thoughts? 
gherkins

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 03:17:45 PM »

I think that all options are possible.  DSD knows your husband as her dad, and not the alleged biodad (probably not too alleged, but you know what I'm trying to say).  What happens if your husband tells her who her biodad is?  Is their relationship strong enough to survive a scenario in which the biodad DOES want to be involved?  I work with someone who is in a similar situation, and the newcomer is trying to get involved in the children's lives.  The kids don't like the biodad, and he seems to be doing this only to get back at their real dad.  Knowing BPD mom, is she likely to try to engineer a scenario like this?
sanemom

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 03:30:42 PM »

I think that all options are possible.  :)SD knows your husband as her dad, and not the alleged biodad (probably not too alleged, but you know what I'm trying to say).  What happens if your husband tells her who her biodad is?  Is their relationship strong enough to survive a scenario in which the biodad DOES want to be involved?  I work with someone who is in a similar situation, and the newcomer is trying to get involved in the children's lives.  The kids don't like the biodad, and he seems to be doing this only to get back at their real dad.  Knowing BPD mom, is she likely to try to engineer a scenario like this?

DSD was told when she was 8 that DH is not her biodad, but to keep that secret from him.  :)H did not find out until five years later that he was not her biodad.  BPD mom has done some pretty good parental alienation with DSD... .almost to the point that DH has given up for now to have a decent relationship with her.  It really is a sad situation.  He raised her as primary while BPD mom lived far away for 9 years of her life, but she is so enmeshed with BPD mom that she rarely comes over anymore.

BPD mom is claiming someone else entirely is her biodad.  She does not want anyone in her family to know who the real biodad is because he has a different ethnicity.  She already used this mess to get back at DH for marrying me... .she already hurt him with this as much as she can.

So no, their relationship is not strong right now, but I am not even sure if DH cares about that anymore.  He is trying to focus on his relationship with the kids who he has a good relationship with at this point to make sure that BPD mom doesn't ruin those relationships, too (he is still primary of their boys).
gherkins

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 04:06:01 PM »

Lord, what a boondoggle.  I wouldn't notify the biodad, just because it sounds like BPD mom is doing exactly what you said, furthering the alienation.  Plus, it sounds like she could be lying about who the real biodad is.

I wish you a whole lot of patience in dealing with your kiddos.
livednlearned
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 04:16:58 PM »

Why not just let D17 decide when and if she wants to know? It sounds like there are enough hints for her to follow if she wants. This is more about her, no? She's almost 18 and it's her parentage, her truth to seek, I would think.

You and your H probably come across too much as having an axe to grind at this point, in her worldview, and have been in this weird intersection about your own hurts and harms when it comes to hers.

Is it hard to step away?

Breathe.
sanemom

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 05:56:15 PM »

Is it hard to step away?

No, actually 85% of me really wants to step away and just let BPD mom and DSD do whatever they do.  Then every once in a while a nagging voice comes into play and makes me wonder if I am doing it for the right reasons.  My reasoning?  I like not dealing with the drama.  I don't want us to look like the bad guys.  It all just feels like selfish reasons.

Then I think if I were the parent with a child out there I didn't know about, I would want to know.  Of course, unless I was in a coma for 9 months that would not happen to me so I am probably not even qualified to make that empathetic leap.  So if we have no moral obligation to let him know, I am fine with that.  I just want to make sure we don't.
Nope

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex
Relationship status: married

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 05:38:46 AM »

Then I think if I were the parent with a child out there I didn't know about, I would want to know.  Of course, unless I was in a coma for 9 months that would not happen to me so I am probably not even qualified to make that empathetic leap.  So if we have no moral obligation to let him know, I am fine with that.  I just want to make sure we don't.

Can I ask what brings this up now? Your DH has known for at least a few years.

While, being women, neither of us are likely qualified to make the empathetic leap, I think if I was a male and didn't know I was a father, it would be more important to know that I had a child out there when they were a child. I might, maybe, like to have a relationship with an adult child who has grown up and been raised completely without me. But it would be far from the same relationship. When a child is a child there is a certain burden of responsibility that creates deep lifelong emotional ties. (Your DH is a perfect example of that.) This guy probably isn't ever going to feel that.

As for moral obligation; that rests solely on BPD mom. Essentially, what you are asking is if you should clean up yet another one of her messes. You have no responsibility to do that.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest