Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 26, 2024, 02:10:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I don't know what Im supposed to do  (Read 355 times)
calafjc
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: February 19, 2015, 03:17:14 AM »

I've recently discovered that my wife of over 10 years has BPD, i've read around about BPD, I want to help her without making it worse for her, because thats all i seem to do.  I understand that treatment is difficult, she has started to take measures to start coping, but i need to know what I'm supposed to do, I have no idea
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

waverider
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 04:24:47 AM »

I've recently discovered that my wife of over 10 years has BPD, i've read around about BPD, I want to help her without making it worse for her, because thats all i seem to do.  I understand that treatment is difficult, she has started to take measures to start coping, but i need to know what I'm supposed to do, I have no idea

Welcome

Welcome calafjc

It is a bit of a shock once you discover this Disorder and start to learn about it. Check this link out as a starter:

Before you can make anything better, you must stop making it worse

You can't fix your wife, but you can do a lot to make your life better and so provide a better platform from which she may build from.

Keep reading and posting any specific concerns you may have

Waverider

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
Cole

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 06:27:54 AM »

You are in the right place and already have a head start by understanding what waverider said about not making it worse. Read the lessons on the right, they are an eye opener. 

I think you will find you are not alone in your situation.
EaglesJuju
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 07:19:39 AM »

Hi Calafjc, 

Welcome.  I understand how frustrating and difficult it is to cope with BPD behaviors.     As Waverider and Cole suggested, the lessons are truly your first step to improving your relationship. 

Treatment for a person with BPD (pwBPD) can be really difficult.  Retraining maladaptive coping mechanisms/behaviors that have been hardwired in a pwBPD's brain can take quite awhile. It is great that your pwBPD has started measures on coping.  I found that being supportive and validating my bf while he is currently working on his behaviors has been extremely helpful.  Here is some information on validation that has really helped me. 

Validation and BPD

Is your pwBPD currently being treated?

"In order to take control of our lives and accomplish something of lasting value, sooner or later we need to Believe. We simply need to believe in the power that is within us, and use it." -Benjamin Hoff
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest