Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 26, 2024, 07:55:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Her family don't know (double life)  (Read 363 times)
RoseB

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner

« on: April 05, 2015, 04:53:57 AM »

I've been with my BPD girlfriend for a year. She lives at home with her parents and sister. They have no idea about her disorder because she is a completely different person around them and keeps long sleeves on to avoid them seeing her severely scared arms. Around them she is well behaved, friendly and polite, but with me and others BPD hell is unleashed. She has a strange relationship with them due to past child physical abuse that I think they are regretful of. Anyway,  things have been extremely bad. She tried to kill herself in the university toilets and a week later tried the same thing again. She also forced the uni staff to stay with her otherwise she would leave (threat to kill herself). She has been kicked out of University now for being a danger to herself and others. The police have been involved a lot.

Things are so bad and her family have no idea. She wants to keep it that way. But I feel that I have to deal with everything on my own. She's 22 and immature for her age, she's still like a teenager. Does anybody else have experience of the family not having a clue? And what's the best way to deal on your own? She's showing no signs of moving out and away from them. I'm struggling with the double life aspect. Her family are the ones who abused her, yet they get the friendly nice side of her.
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

babyducks

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 08:39:04 AM »

Hi RoseB

I'd like to ask a couple of questions just to get a better sense of things, if that is okay?

Was it just recently that your girlfriend got kicked out of University?   Am I understanding it right, that her family doesn't know that she was asked to leave?  Sorry if I got it muddled.

And do you attend the same University?

This sounds like a lot for you to deal with.   It's a very hard position to be in.   I'm wondering if it would be possible for you to find someone at the University to share your story with?   Some one you can confide in who could pick up the nuances and the complexities.

These are some major things you are describing.   I am going to encourage you to click on the safety first link on the right hand side of the screen.   

I had to establish a safety plan myself once and I can say from experience it's much easier to plan while there was no crisis going on.   That way I knew exactly what I needed to do if something did happen.

'ducks

What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us.
an0ught
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner
Relationship status: married

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 04:49:27 PM »

Hi RoseB,

I've been with my BPD girlfriend for a year. She lives at home with her parents and sister. They have no idea about her disorder because she is a completely different person around them and keeps long sleeves on to avoid them seeing her severely scared arms. Around them she is well behaved, friendly and polite, but with me and others BPD hell is unleashed. She has a strange relationship with them due to past child physical abuse that I think they are regretful of. Anyway,  things have been extremely bad. She tried to kill herself in the university toilets and a week later tried the same thing again. She also forced the uni staff to stay with her otherwise she would leave (threat to kill herself). She has been kicked out of University now for being a danger to herself and others. The police have been involved a lot.

Things are so bad and her family have no idea. She wants to keep it that way. But I feel that I have to deal with everything on my own. She's 22 and immature for her age, she's still like a teenager. Does anybody else have experience of the family not having a clue? And what's the best way to deal on your own? She's showing no signs of moving out and away from them. I'm struggling with the double life aspect. Her family are the ones who abused her, yet they get the friendly nice side of her.

it is very, very difficult to look into another family. My personal experience with two pwBPD partners taught me one thing: You don't know until you are able to look real close. If you look around in this forum - the surface of dysfunctional families is deceivingly smooth. I doubt that the family does not know about her problems but they may well choose to look the other way. At least in the past they will have noticed something - your GF would not be hiding things so systematically if they had not. Who knows what games are played behind closed doors.

You wrote that her family caused the problems in the past. What makes you think they could be part of the solution? The fact that she is behaving - as far as you know - at home is a sign that there are strict boundaries in place. It might be quite possible that there is a tyrannical NPD running the family. The fact that she is not leaving might be based on fear, unstated threats and an enmeshed victim-abuser relationship. NPD-BPD relationships can be fairly stable.

Of course the family could also be generally ok with a few problems as any family. The family might have learned in the past to put in place strict boundaries and provides a supporting safe basis for her life. The childhood abuse may be exaggerated through her over-active BPD emotions.

You likely don't know and that makes it problematic to approach her family. But what you know is that she is able to contain herself provided there is enough structure around her. As abuse victim she needs tender loving care. But she clearly needs boundaries as well.

Another problem with drawing her family into this is that it is a form of triangulation. That sort of approach has a tendency to lead to drama (Karpman triangle). She may be better served by you providing a stable basis that is independent from her family.

Excerpt
But I feel that I have to deal with everything on my own

The dynamic in the relationship with her is between you and her. PwBPD act very, very context sensitive - read up on splitting. Short of her changing in general through therapy or maturing somehow not much will help you substantially other than changes you bring about through boundaries and communicating with her better. Splitting means she can be one person with you and another with others. Her abusing you may allow her to express her anger sufficiently to play conforming daughter at home. The situation is complex and it is really tough on you  . Likely it will take a while to fully see through what is going on.

Excerpt
And what's the best way to deal on your own?

Maintaining your own support system is vital! The LESSONS contain the key workshops with skills to handle a BPD relationship. It is a lot and it takes time to sink in. It takes practice to make it work - there is no shortcut to skill learning but discussing your problems on the board can accelerate it. Have you considered a T for yourself?

Writing is self validation. Writing on bpdfamily is self validation squared!
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest