Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 26, 2024, 11:54:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Understanding Borderline Personality Disorder  (Read 385 times)
D. Libelle
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: May 07, 2015, 08:51:31 AM »

Hi All,

I am looking for support in my marriage. I suspect my husband of 16 years has BPD. After years of looking away and trying to fix things alone, I have finally come to my breaking point.

We are in a wide range of therapies. Our marriage counselor recommended that we have him take the MMPI and go through a psychiatric evaluation.

I am curious to know if others have any experience with that test.

Also, I would like to know about people's experience with diagnosis and treatment. Has diagnosis been helpful? Are most BPDs diagnosed? Will this process improve our relationship, or simply help me to understand why our relationship is so difficult.

Thank you for listening to me, and for your feedback.

D
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

EaglesJuju
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 09:09:12 AM »

Hi D. Libelle, 

Welcome aboard. You have come to the right place for support and understanding.

I am sorry that you are at your breaking point.     I understand how you could feel like you are breaking. Coping with the behaviors can be frustrating and difficult.

It is great that you both in therapy. How do you think therapy is going?

My person with BPD (pwBPD) is diagnosed with a personality disorder, although he did not tell me specifically which one. He does mention the diagnostic criteria for BPD while describing his symptoms verbatim. 

A diagnosis can help the pwBPD embrace and understand the disorder. It is like putting a name to a bunch of behaviors.  On the other hand, may psychiatrists/psychologists focus on the maladaptive behavior, instead of focusing on a diagnosis.

Treatment/therapy is beneficial for the pwBPD and you.  A pwBPD learns how to effectively control and regulate their emotions, learn healthy coping strategies, build self-esteem, etc. What type of therapy are you both in?

There are things we can do to improve the relationship. The motto on the staying board is "before you can make anything better, you must stop making it worse." This is something that I have learned to embrace. I cannot change my pwBPD's behavior and thoughts, but I can change my own. I started to change how I perceived my relationship and some of my own behaviors. Many times I was making a situation worse by my own behaviors.  The tools on this site are fantastic for improving my relationship. Take a look at the lessons on the right side of this page.

What behaviors are you having the most difficulty coping with?

"In order to take control of our lives and accomplish something of lasting value, sooner or later we need to Believe. We simply need to believe in the power that is within us, and use it." -Benjamin Hoff
D. Libelle
Fewer than 3 Posts

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 08:08:29 PM »

Thanks for your response!

My therapy is going well.

He went to therapy at the advice of our marriage counselor for 2 months and came home declaring he had finished therapy. His issues were resolved and the problems were mine to sort out.

His behaviors, blaming, rages, boundary violations, continue.

Specifically, I find his inability to recognize me as a person outside of himself to be difficult. He expects intense emotional connection, but cannot sustain any kind of mutual and reciprocating relationship.

His emotional over-reaction is very difficult as well. I'm not sure how to stop making things worse. Do you have insight on that?

D
EaglesJuju
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 08:53:13 AM »

I am glad that your therapy is going well. Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)  Taking care of yourself is the first step in improving your relationship. It is hard to make things work when we are not as mentally strong as we could be.

He went to therapy at the advice of our marriage counselor for 2 months and came home declaring he had finished therapy. His issues were resolved and the problems were mine to sort out.

His behaviors, blaming, rages, boundary violations, continue.

I sure as you know, 2 months of therapy does not fix a live long pattern of behavior.  I can understand how frustrating coping with that type of behavior is, especially knowing that he was working on it, but quit therapy.

Have you brought up him quitting therapy with your marriage counselor?

Specifically, I find his inability to recognize me as a person outside of himself to be difficult. He expects intense emotional connection, but cannot sustain any kind of mutual and reciprocating relationship.

This is difficult to cope with. I have had issues with this in the past. It feels like our person with BPD (pwBPD)  wants the impossible. They want you to give whole heartedly, but cannot reciprocate even a small amount. When my pwBPD has done this, it made me feel like I was expected to be a robot, with no emotions or feelings.

For very long time, even with the knowledge of BPD, I still tended to view my pwBPD as a "non-disordered person." My own mentality made me keep setting up to fail. After learning about BPD and truly accepting the disorder, I started lowering my expectations a bit. 

His emotional over-reaction is very difficult as well. I'm not sure how to stop making things worse. Do you have insight on that?

The emotional overreaction can be intense. Unfortunately, the inability to regulate or control emotions is at the core of the disorder.

Reading and learning about how and why your husband behaves in a certain way truly helps. The lessons on the right are a fantastic place to start. 

"In order to take control of our lives and accomplish something of lasting value, sooner or later we need to Believe. We simply need to believe in the power that is within us, and use it." -Benjamin Hoff
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest