Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 26, 2024, 03:14:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: my BPD diagnosis has changed  (Read 353 times)
Dvorah
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Friend

« on: May 11, 2015, 11:00:07 AM »

I was first diagnosed with BPD about 35 years. Terrifying given the long-term prognosis at the time. I've had years and years and years of therapy, survived the long drawn death of my husband of 28 years and the subsequent depression I had after he died.

Now, ten years later I am in a wonderful, happy, healthy relationship with a new man I met online. He and I are having a long-distance relationship because he lives about 70 miles from me. I have not shared my psychiatric history with him. This is because I asked my psychiatrist about 8 months ago, 'If you had to give me a diagnosis today, would you still say that I am Borderline?" He said, 'No, you suffer from bouts of depression but I would say you are neurotic, not Borderline anymore."

My reaction was, "Yippeeee!" because I don't feel like I have any of those Borderline traits.

So, my question is: should I disclose my history to my new gentleman caller. We've been seeing each other for about six months. I keep hoping he will google me and find my website: dvorahelias.com and I've given him lots of hints thinking that he would see the site and then ask me questions about it. So far, he has not done so.

Any ideas on how to proceed with this?
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Ceruleanblue

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 11:47:58 AM »

Welcome to the site.

Personally, I would share it with him. It's not something to be ashamed of. I've read a lot of posts here written by people who knew going into a relationship that their partner had BPD. It obviously doesn't scare everyone off, and if it did, you probably don't want him anyway!

It sounds like you've done a lot of work on YOU, which is great.
Dvorah
Fewer than 3 Posts

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Friend

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 11:54:01 AM »

Thank you for your feedback. I agree and I have been trying to find the right time to have this conversation. I don't think it will scare him off because my way of doing things is very different these days and that has been his experience of me. I have a lot of anxiety issues though and I want to talk to him about those. So, perhaps I will try to have this conversation with him this weekend when he comes to see me. Thanks again so much!
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest