Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 26, 2024, 05:18:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How to communicate after a contentious divorce... Following a contentious divorce and custody battle, there are often high emotion and tensions between the parents. Research shows that constant and chronic conflict between the parents negatively impacts the children. The children sense their parents anxiety in their voice, their body language and their parents behavior. Here are some suggestions from Dean Stacer on how to avoid conflict.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Moral dilemma  (Read 402 times)
Eco

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: June 08, 2015, 11:28:24 PM »

My ex refused to tell me where she went on vacation with my daughter for a week. my week is coming up for vacation, my ex hasn't asked me where im going yet but im sure it will come up.

I feel like the right thing to do is tell her where we are going but part of me is pulling at the idea that I should keep that info to myself to show her how it feels to be left in the dark.  My hopes would be that she would learn a lessen from that but I don't think she will and if anything it will more then likely trigger her and cause more trouble down the line.

Im pretty sure that when she asks me im going to tell her where we are going and just tell her I don't want her to feel worried about where her daughter will be like I had to.

Thoughts? 
Nope

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex
Relationship status: married

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 06:14:36 AM »

It's part of the disorder that people with BPD won't learn lessons by having what they've done to someone done back to them. As far as she is concerned, she was truly well justified in her behavior but you are being mean and disrespectful of her roll as a parent if you do the same. It could also potentially trigger major overreactions from the disordered party (like her potentially calling the police in a panic telling them she's afraid for the child's safety in your care) and that wouldn't be worth dealing with for the satisfaction of trying to make her feel the way her behavior made you feel.

I would be equally as irritated in your shoes. What she pulled was really crappy. But the natural response of quid pro quo won't get you anywhere.
mywifecrazy

Relationship status: Divorced

Picking myself off the canvas for the last time!

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 06:32:09 AM »

2 wrongs don't make a right. She is disordered. No reason for you to act disordered. Lead by example. Your kids ARE watching. Show them what a real man and a good Dad acts like.

Trust me I know how you feel. I struggle with wanting to teach my X a lesson ALL the time but you and I both know that it will fall on DEAF ears. Stay off of the Disordered Dance Floor and you will feel much better.

I think I'm writing this post as much for myself as I am for you!

MWC... .Being cool (click to insert in post)

The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit. Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the Lord delivers him out of them all. (Psalm 34:18, 19)
Sunfl0wer
`

Relationship status: He moved out mid March

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 06:59:04 AM »

I'm with these guys!

Just another thought... .

It is always beneficial to appear the parent who is behaving well in the eyes of the court... .

Not that I know if there are any court dates in your future, but document her poor behavior always, and then behave your best in return.

How wrong it is for a woman to expect the man to build the world she wants, rather than to create it herself.~Anais Nin
going places

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 07:02:16 AM »

Do the right thing.

Vengance is not yours to meet out.

Karma is a beyach.

You don't want to kick that hornets nest and strike that kind of fear into her heart (where is my daughter).

That would be cruel.

ALTHOUGH she had no care or concern for you, your feelings, your wants, desires, or rights... .

Do not stoop to her level.

Your child is watching. Give her ONE good parent example, please.
Nope

Relationship status: married

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 07:36:24 AM »

I think I'm writing this post as much for myself as I am for you!

I also wrote my response as much for Eco as for myself. The temptation to strike back is almost overwhelming. After years and years of having to jump whenever the BPD mom decided to snap her fingers we now finally have a situation that puts us in the driver's seat. But the kids ARE watching and the only way to show them their mom's behavior over the last ten years was wrong is to not behave that way ourselves. SD12 actually said to me the other day, "Mom could be nice to you, she just chooses not to be." And she said it in such a matter-of-fact tone that it is clear to me that she feels her mother has absolutely no obligation to treat anyone with any level of human decency if she doesn't want to. That this kid thinks that is perfectly understandable and acceptable makes me sad.
PinkieV

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 12:16:21 PM »

Right there with you!  We have to remind ourselves every time NOT to be her.  My SS15 sees it very clearly now.  He told me last week "my mom is accusing my dad of doing the exact same thing she did to him for ten years" and "he's not keeping me away from her.  I've been to visit her, I can talk to or text her whenever I want.  She just doesn't get it."

And she never will.  So, entertain yourself with fantasies of justice, but know that your daughter will appreciate everything you do for her. 
bravhart1

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2015, 12:52:00 PM »

Having dealt with the whole " hide the child" thing on vacations here too. Mom says it's a staycation and then takes her out of town, only to be discovered after the fact.

Then for our vacation we provided a itinerary, and BPDm responded with " you aren't telling me the whole story" (projection much )

We just responded that we are being full disclosure and ignored it.

We are looking at more summer vacations coming up and we know we won't get her itinerary (she feels it's too intrusive) and then she demanded we let child call her daily while on our vacation. For me the whole idea of a vacation was "a vacation from BPDm" but she didn't see it that way of course.

Just provide a general outline, for example " we are going to be camping in a fifty mile radius" etc and leave it at that. If you are flying I feel it's only appropriate to send flight details as plane travel is a bigger deal. If we were going to be flying I would say " we are flying to Texas flight xyz and returning on flight xyz and visiting family."

It sucks to have the other parent be so childish with info then demand full disclosure back but as it was said above, be the example, not the follower. If it was wrong for her to do, it's wrong for you to do.

Hate that they get away with it, love that they hang themselves with their bad behavior in the end.

There is an end right? If not don't tell me, I want to be naive and hopeful.
Eco

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2015, 07:00:35 PM »

Thanks everyone for the input Smiling (click to insert in post) These boards are great and so helpful for validation and sound advice. I didn't feel right about not telling my ex where I would be going on vacation for the simple fact that it isn't a right thing to do and I have to follow my values.  I needed to explore with in myself the fact that I wanted to go below my values and morals to " teach" my ex a lessen, Thanks everyone for sharing with me that im not alone in feeling that way.

Excerpt
It's part of the disorder that people with BPD won't learn lessons by having what they've done to someone done back to them. As far as she is concerned, she was truly well justified in her behavior but you are being mean and disrespectful of her roll as a parent if you do the same. It could also potentially trigger major overreactions from the disordered party (like her potentially calling the police in a panic telling them she's afraid for the child's safety in your care) and that wouldn't be worth dealing with for the satisfaction of trying to make her feel the way her behavior made you feel.

I would be equally as irritated in your shoes. What she pulled was really crappy. But the natural response of quid pro quo won't get you anywhere.

very true, my daughter would more then likely pay the price by my ex getting triggered.

Excerpt
2 wrongs don't make a right.

Ive always said this, it was blaring in the back of my mind

Excerpt
She is disordered. No reason for you to act disordered. Lead by example. Your kids ARE watching. Show them what a real man and a good Dad acts like.

Yep that's what I keep reminding myself, In times like these I always look at my daughters picture and it always grounds me and calms me at the same time.

Excerpt
It is always beneficial to appear the parent who is behaving well in the eyes of the court... .

Not that I know if there are any court dates in your future, but document her poor behavior always, and then behave your best in return

actually we are going back to court so I imagine it wouldn't look good for me. No time to drop to my exs level, not that any time is good for that

Excerpt
I also wrote my response as much for Eco as for myself. The temptation to strike back is almost overwhelming. After years and years of having to jump whenever the BPD mom decided to snap her fingers we now finally have a situation that puts us in the driver's seat. But the kids ARE watching and the only way to show them their mom's behavior over the last ten years was wrong is to not behave that way ourselves. SD12 actually said to me the other day, "Mom could be nice to you, she just chooses not to be." And she said it in such a matter-of-fact tone that it is clear to me that she feels her mother has absolutely no obligation to treat anyone with any level of human decency if she doesn't want to. That this kid thinks that is perfectly understandable and acceptable makes me sad.

That's great that you guys are out from under BPD moms thumb, I wish you and the kids well. I imagine it will take some time to adjust and hopefully change the way they think about things. It is very sad to see what the kids go through, Im hopeful my daughter doesn't take on that same view as her moms who doesn't know how to treat people with decency as well.

Excerpt
Right there with you!  We have to remind ourselves every time NOT to be her.  My SS15 sees it very clearly now.  He told me last week "my mom is accusing my dad of doing the exact same thing she did to him for ten years" and "he's not keeping me away from her.  I've been to visit her, I can talk to or text her whenever I want.  She just doesn't get it."

And she never will.  So, entertain yourself with fantasies of justice, but know that your daughter will appreciate everything you do for her.  love

That's great to hear that ss15 gets it, and very encouraging to me that my daughter may get it at some point

Excerpt
Having dealt with the whole " hide the child" thing on vacations here too. Mom says it's a staycation and then takes her out of town, only to be discovered after the fact.

Then for our vacation we provided a itinerary, and BPDm responded with " you aren't telling me the whole story" (projection much rolleyes)

Laugh out loud (click to insert in post) sounds like my ex, projection is strong with her.

Excerpt
Just provide a general outline, for example " we are going to be camping in a fifty mile radius" etc and leave it at that. If you are flying I feel it's only appropriate to send flight details as plane travel is a bigger deal. If we were going to be flying I would say " we are flying to Texas flight xyz and returning on flight xyz and visiting family."

It sucks to have the other parent be so childish with info then demand full disclosure back but as it was said above, be the example, not the follower. If it was wrong for her to do, it's wrong for you to do.

Hate that they get away with it, love that they hang themselves with their bad behavior in the end.

Thanks that's a good idea about the vacation.

Excerpt
There is an end right? If not don't tell me, I want to be naive and hopeful.

Laugh out loud (click to insert in post), Don't tell me either because im very hopeful
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest