Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 26, 2024, 06:23:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Validation Check  (Read 365 times)
martillo

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: married 28 yrs; staying for now

« on: January 15, 2016, 10:47:47 AM »

I want to run this text exchange by the wise folks here to see if it is validating or unvalidating.

Back story:  UBPDh, active alcoholic has been staying at our vacation home for the past 2 weeks – angry with me.  We have a business together so see each other most days of the week. 

H is in silent treatment mode - silent treatment from him is not really silent – it involves being super kind to everyone around us and either ignoring me; only griping or complaining to or about me; asking someone else for something that I will need to put together for him at work (which I end up doing and giving to him anyway); muttering statements under his breath that are digs at me which I can’t really hear so I ignore like it wasn’t even said.  I do my best to ignore the angry, pointless statements, respond to the work requests as needed, and must confess that I am not greeting or initiating any conversation other than as needed for work – sounds like tons of fun, doesn’t it?

So yesterday afternoon, H called me on my cell to share a bit of positive work news and I could hear in his voice that he was already drinking, so I woo-hooed the good news and we disconnected on good terms. 

H always wants to have deep, meaningful relationship “talks” when he is drinking.  These never go well and I am working on minimizing talk time about “us” when he drinks. So last night we had the text exchange below.

H:  “You have no idea how much I love you.  Very stressful right now.  But still do not want it to end.  Call if you feel the same.”

Me:  “You are my husband.  I love you with all my heart.  Tonight is probably not a good time to talk because you have been drinking.  That makes it difficult to communicate.  You will always be my husband and I will always love you.  Lets talk in the morning.”

H:  “Nope just playing cards with DS23.  Never mind I’m done.”

H:  “You must be thinking of someone else.”

H:  “No reason to call.”

I did not respond after my initial text and this morning the silent, angry treatment continues. 

I know that addiction behavior will never be rational, but wanted to see if I am on the right communication track – in the past when H begins, I have always tried to converse in a thoughtful, logical way because I don’t want to be “cold and distant” (one of my endearing qualities per H) but it always ends poorly and I end up not communicating thoughtfully or logically .

I want to communicate in a caring way, but also be able to detach before it escalates.  Was my text invalidating?

PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest