Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 26, 2024, 10:58:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Near or in break-up mode?
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Escaping Conflict and the Karpman Drama Triangle
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Woe is me, aka victim complex  (Read 460 times)
Kabooma

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: April 15, 2016, 12:30:22 PM »

Hi all,

It's been quite a while since I've visited.  I usually come here seeking advice when things are at their worst (or to just unleash compounded frustration in the form of complaining !)

The fact that it's been a while is two-fold, and long story short, some things I've learned to live with and others I've refused to deal with.  More on that another day.

Right now, seeking advice-

My wife is now diagnosed, but her psychologist has decided not to tell her.  This was decided in a discussion I had with the psy, where I initiated, and the psy spoke only briefly because of confidentiality (although I'm on the hippa form as authorized to discuss), but anyways, the wife is so afflicted, that her psy thinks she would be unable to accept the diagnosis anyways and in that case, would likely worsen her condition.

So, she (the wife), cannot hold a job.  Her personal best is under 1.5 years.  We are in our 40's, and she's reduced to temp agencies, and even then, the vast majority of them won't talk to her anymore.  She has nothing but a string of conflicts at every job.  You won't be surprised that it's always other people at those places- she will text bomb me some days about someone being snarky with her, or will refer to them as uneducated, childish, lazy, etc...

But when things start going wrong for her (impending firing ... she can sense it coming, or just as often chase it down with a baseball bat), she will start playing that role of the victim... everyone there hated her, she was sabotaged, etc... . 

And I'm stuck- if I don't absolutely devote myself to validating her, or else now I'm blaming her - and she can nail herself to the cross with the best of them- believe me. 

Well, she's been at a job almost 2 months, and I can even feel the tsunami of termination heading her (our) way.  I'm just SO not up for this, but I don't have a choice- I have to either deal with it one way or the other, and no way is a good way.

PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

waverider
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 09:54:17 PM »

Totally understand this, a list of bullies as long as a telephone directory, I have given up on my wife holding a job and in fact advise against. lasting a week would be a miracle.

Are you familiar with the Karpmann drama triangle

You probably can't change her but you can work on how best to avoid playing your part of being landed with wearing the persecutor or rescuer hat depending how best it suits her.

Every victim needs a persecutor and a rescuer to validate their failings are due to being a victim. They get stuck in that role, and need the other players to validate it.

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
flourdust

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: In the process of divorce after 12 year marriage

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 12:45:14 PM »

Yeah, my wife is very similar. She's been able to hold some jobs for a longer period of time, but only when she's able to ally with people who are willing to tolerate the complaining and infighting. From the outside, it's hard for me to tell if she starts the fighting or if she just dials up the drama that is already there.

But the narrative is usually the same. First, she loves everyone at the new job. Then there are a few people who irritate her. Then she's being persecuted and in the middle of a civil war. Then, she's under some kind of corrective plan or out on her ass.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest