Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
September 21, 2017, 02:34:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Why do we get angry? Read here
Administrator: heartandwhole
Moderators: Meili, once removed
Member support team: DaddyBear77, Flourdust, Tattered Heart, Turkish, wendydarling, Woolspinner2000
  Directory Guidelines Glossary   Boards   Help Please Donate Login Register  
THE PSYCHOLOGY OF PERSONALITY DISORDERS
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Epilepsy: Is there a link between epilepsy and BPD?  (Read 23712 times)
foul ball

« on: April 18, 2010, 01:55:38 PM »

Hello everyone,

Question--Is there a link between BPD and epilepsy? I am epileptic and my BPDd had seizures as a child.

hvac guy

GENERAL ANNOUNCEMENT

This board is intended for general questions about BPD and other personality disorders, trait definitions, and related therapies and diagnostics. Topics should be formatted as a question.

Please do not host topics related to the specific pwBPD in your life - those discussions should be hosted on an appropraite [L1] - [L4] board.

You will find indepth information provided by our senior members in our workshop board discussions (click here).

Jemima

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 02:01:11 PM »

I have never heard of a STATISTICAL link between the two, but ... who's to say that there is not a connection in your family? I believe strongly that in some individuals --- particularly those people without any history of abuse and whose problems started early in life --- there MUST be some kind of brain injury, either through a blow to the head (as some on this forum have reported), through early trauma like in utero stroke, and maybe in your family's case, through seizures.

Of course that's just my theory so take it for what it's worth.
lbjnltx
Retired Staff

Person in your life: Child

we can all evolve into someone beautiful

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 10:06:35 AM »

dear hvac guy,

pwBPD do have abnormal brain function.  you might try researching this from the epilepsy point of view.  ie...if epilepsy causes the parts of the brain to function in an abnormal manner, if epilepsy causes abnormal emotional functioning, if epilepsy ... then do a comparison.  it may give  you the answers you seek.

head trauma can cause epilepsy

trauma can causes ptsd

ptsd can cause BPD

head trauma can cause emotional dysregulation

lbjnltx

BPDd-13 Residential Treatment - keep believing in miracles
momofrage

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 09:17:56 PM »

Anti-convulsant drugs that are used to control epileptic seizures are also sometimes used to control BPD symptoms. My BPDDD has been on some of them, and she doesn't have epilepsy, nor does anyone in our family.

So there must be some underlying similarity in the brain dysfunction, but I don't think there is definitive research about it yet.
Ring of fire

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 01:28:14 AM »

Yes and no..Epilepsy ..BPD..2 separate disorders..but..I can tell you this with a certainty..For treatment of BPD many take a certain medication..and  that same medication is also used for certain kinds of Epilepsy..it is the certain part of the brain that it treats..I will give you a good example of what I mean..My one sister is  a diagnosed BPD..she takes the same exact pills my other sister who has frontal lobe disorder and has seizures..the latter sister has MANY of the symptoms of BPD ...it is odd..also many years ago when that same sister was brought to the Emergency room by me..the doctors pulled me aside and told me she was faking the seizures..today she can't work and gets disablity..I have NEVER EVER seen her have any kind of seizure..I was told it may be psychosomatic..(in her head) ..so it is somewhat intertwined..but if you have BPD you don't necessarily have epilepsy..BUT some with Epilepsy may have symptoms of BPD..you follow?Make sense?

"A friend is one to whom one may pour out all the contents of ones heart.Chaff and grain,together.Knowing that the gentleness of hands will take and sift and keep what is worth keeping and blow the rest away"....
Abigail

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 09:16:38 PM »

Hello everyone,

Question--Is there a link between BPD and epilepsy? I am epileptic and my BPDd had seizures as a child.

hvac guy

My husband, son and daughter are all diagnosed with BPD.  My sister was diagnosed with it last year as well.  They all see the same doctor and he believes BPD to be primarily a medical problem that causes psychological problems as well.  He believes the mood swings and rages are due to a type of epileptic seizure.  He explains a lot of this in his book, "Life at the Border" and at his website (www.biologicalunhappiness.com). 

I also did some researching on epilepsy and the behavorial dyscontrol syndrome and was amazed at some of the similarities between that and the behavior seen in BPD.  Similar reactions to certain medications that brought on BPD dysphoria/raging and triggered epileptic seizures.  Descriptions of inappropriate, intense anger and unpredictable mood swings triggered by stress. 
LOAnnie

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 11:50:17 AM »

What a fascinating line of inquiry.  I am going to be looking for and following any research papers I can find on this line of study.  It does seem like a hopeful seed of possibility that could help pinpoint exactly what is going on with the brains of those with pds.  

There is another researcher, Paul J. Markovitz, M.D., Ph. D.,  who is also of the opinion that personality disorder is a medical issue, an organic brain dysfunction to do with brain chemistry.  His theory is that the behaviors first need to be treated with medication, then followed up with therapy, and he has published many papers on the subject.  It would be interesting to hear his take on the possibility of an epilepsy connection as well.

Here is a link to his cv (his "curriculum vitae") aka his information:

www.borderlinepersonalitytoday.com/main/pmcv.htm 

-LOAnnie

Abigail

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 08:36:43 PM »

What a fascinating line of inquiry.  I am going to be looking for and following any research papers I can find on this line of study.  It does seem like a hopeful seed of possibility that could help pinpoint exactly what is going on with the brains of those with pds.  

There is another researcher, Paul J. Markovitz, M.D., Ph. D.,  who is also of the opinion that personality disorder is a medical issue, an organic brain dysfunction to do with brain chemistry.  His theory is that the behaviors first need to be treated with medication, then followed up with therapy, and he has published many papers on the subject.  It would be interesting to hear his take on the possibility of an epilepsy connection as well.

Here is a link to his cv (his "curriculum vitae") aka his information:

www.borderlinepersonalitytoday.com/main/pmcv.htm 

-LOAnnie

LOAnnie,

I have checked out his site in the past and you are correct in that he is another doctor who views it from a more medical perspective than most.  I wish there were more "psychiatrists/psychologists" who were open minded enough to look into this.   In spite of Dr. Heller's success in treating BPD, he can not get the approval and funding to do a study comparing his treatment of BPD to another treatment because he is not a "psychiatrist". 

By the way, for quite some time I have joked with family and friends that I was going to get a t-shirt that said, "I see BPD" .  It is kinda scary when you realize just how many people there are with BPD--my neighbor, whose daughter has BPD, has also gotten quite good at recognizing the symptoms in others. 
ingridp

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 11:02:21 AM »

Hi There -

I have Temporal Lobe Epilepsy - not what one would call the 'normal' epilepsy with catatonic seizures -and my son has BPD. Last year his T put him on the same meds that I'm on & they seemed to work fairly well in stabilising his moods until he became non-compliant.  rolleyes. Don’t know if that’s a link, but would sure be worth investigating further.

btw - some of my TLE symptoms are actually quite fun - like waking up at 2.00 in the morning & smelling hot, buttered toast (and I'm, the only one in the house cheesy). One of my symptoms causes quite a lot of hilarity amongst my colleagues - I tend to sort of loose my balance and walk like a drunkard. They know that I'm a total non-drinker, which is why I seem to amuse them.  cheesy. Not all my symptoms are that much fun, though.

Take care

Ingridp

innerspirit

Person in your life: SELECT ONE [Required]

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 12:02:19 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised if more and more links are found between PD's and disorders that we find more organic.  And they seem exacerbated by stress.  There may be chemical factors too subtle to show up (at this point) but that have substantial effect on brain function.

Links and Information
CLINICAL INFORMATION
The Big Picture
5 Dimensions of Personality
BPD? How can I know?
Get Someone into Therapy
Treatment of BPD
Full Clinical Definition
Top 50 Questions

EDITORIAL DEPARTMENTS
My Child has BPD
My Parent/Sibling has BPD