Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
October 23, 2017, 02:06:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Administrator: heartandwhole
Moderators: Meili, once removed
Member support team: DaddyBear77, Flourdust, Tattered Heart, Turkish, wendydarling, Woolspinner2000
  Directory Guidelines Glossary   Boards   Help Please Donate Login Register  
Depression. Even mild depression makes it tough to function and enjoy life like you once did. Depression is the most common of all mental health problems affecting one in every four adults to some degree, and 81% of our members. Take the test, read about the implications, and check out the remedies.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does anyone know the average life expectancy of a BPD relationship?  (Read 3731 times)
3rdID

« on: November 15, 2010, 04:07:14 PM »

How long is it generally before things go bad? The therapist I went to, who was the one who pointed out that my wife sounded like she had all the signs of BPD/NPD, told me that it was unusual to last as long as we have in this kind of relationship. ( 20 yrs total)
ARE YOU ON THE RIGHT BOARD?
All members still incontact with their partner should learn to use the basic relationship tools to better manage the day to day interactions.
If you are evaluating a decision to stay or leave, please post on Conflicted and Deciding
fogbound
formerly "reevega"

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 04:14:10 PM »

I think it has a lot to do with our weaknesses. I put up with horrible abuse but stuck it out because my self esteem was such crap and she was such a nugget of arm candy. It lasted 11 years with 5 married. It should probably have been over in a year or two.
PhoenixBorn

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 04:25:44 PM »

From my experience and posts on here a couple of months before the abuse starts.  I did 9 years but most of those we didnt live together.  I work she didn't and I had children who came first so...I guess that kept my sanity.  No way could I have taken that crap 24/7.  But in a way I think it was bad as I would have got out sooner if  I had lived with her the whole time...
havana

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 04:59:16 PM »

I think a lot of it depends on children involved, physical health of pwBPD, ability of pwBPD to earn a living & how big a weenie the NON is. They all came together in a perfect storm for me, especially the weenie part. 40 years here.

Life is short. Shorter for some than others.
Links and Information
CLINICAL INFORMATION
The Big Picture
5 Dimensions of Personality
BPD? How can I know?
Get Someone into Therapy
Treatment of BPD
Full Clinical Definition
Top 50 Questions

EDITORIAL DEPARTMENTS
My Child has BPD
My Parent/Sibling has BPD
My Significant Other has BPD
Recovering a Breakup
My Failing Romance
Endorsed Books
Archived Articles

RELATIONSHIP TOOLS
How to Stop Reacting
Ending Cycle of Conflict
Listen with Empathy
Don't Be Invalidating
Values and Boundaries
On-Line CBT Program
>> More Tools

MESSAGEBOARD GENERAL
Membership Eligibility
Messageboard Guidelines
Directory
Suicidal Ideation
Domestic Violence
ABOUT US
Mission
Policy and Disclaimers
Professional Endorsements
Wikipedia
Facebook

Google+(Member)
Google+ (Professional)
BPDFamily.org

Your Account
Settings

Moderation Appeal
Become a Sponsor
Sponsorship Account

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Just been thrown from the roller coaster? Stepping off? Are you emotionally raw? Is your self-esteem crashing? Work with us to get to steady ground.

Welcome
What is BPD?
Should I post on this board?

Articles
Clinical Information
Self-help Material

The Lessons
1. Healing - the big picture
2. Understand your situation

The five stages of Detachment

1 Acknowledgment- we begin by acknowledging and working with our feelings.

2 Self-Inquiry- we then probe the feelings - it's important to find a way to explore your feelings that allows you both to be present with them and to stand a little aside from them.

3 Processing- become aware of what has been useful in the journey you've just taken, regardless of how it all turned out.

4 Creative Action- start something new with real enthusiasm for the doing of it, rather than out of the need to prove something.

5 Freedom - the stage when thinking about your loss (or the thing you desire) doesn't interfere with your normal feelings of well-being.

Workshops
Participate Here

Frequently asked questions
... about BPD.
... about using the board.