Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 23, 2017, 01:09:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Moderators: heartandwhole, Meili, once removed
Member support team: DreamGirl, gotbushels, joeramabeme, Turkish, Woolspinner2000
  Directory Guidelines Glossary   Boards   Help Please Donate Login Register  
THE PSYCHOLOGY OF PERSONALITY DISORDERS
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do pwBPD sometime speak with a childlike voice?  (Read 31827 times)
FeelingBitter

Person in your life: Other

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2016, 03:12:12 PM »

The pwBPD I know uses her baby voice as a form of manipulation. She will literally use it with her caretakers, people in authority, etc. She will get all doe-eyed and bat her lashes with them. Then she and I will walk out of the room and she will go back to being normal.

I see it as an extension of her Jekyll and Hyde persona.

GENERAL ANNOUNCEMENT

This board is intended for general questions about BPD and other personality disorders, trait definitions, and related therapies and diagnostics. Topics should be formatted as a question.

Please do not host topics related to the specific pwBPD in your life - those discussions should be hosted on an appropraite [L1] - [L4] board.

You will find indepth information provided by our senior members in our workshop board discussions (click here).

earlgrey

Person in your life: Romantic partner

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2016, 04:44:40 AM »

Yes I get it too.

Normally when W. wants to approach me in a loving and gentle way (following a spat, not simply sponataneous) she will adopt little girl voice and demand attention,a kiss for example.

Probably not exclusive to BPD but to anyone having difficulty being themselves and adult.

Step on the gas and wipe that tear away.....
enlighten me

Person in your life: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2016, 05:37:52 AM »

My son who is thirteen will go into baby talk when he is uncomfortable about something. For me it seems to be his way of not being talked to harshly or too in depth. Probably learnt from the fact that when he was young he was never put on the spot as he wasnt capable of answering in an adult manner. He has been regressing a lot lately due to his mums behaviour.
zonnebloem

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2016, 01:24:24 AM »

"My" ex BPD is very clever at laguages.
He'd pick up many dialects and he'd adjust himself. Being in Holland, he'd speak with a Dutch accent. He would not notice himself.

If he had met his ex, I could tell the way he talked, he'd copy her stressfull voice.
He also spoke with the voice of his 16-year-old and sometimes copied her behaviour.
This would very much annoy me.

He was very good in reading my face and could tell when I tried to hide my anger.
He was better in getting on with animals than with people because he is so childish naiv.
enlighten me

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2016, 01:35:13 AM »

"My" ex BPD is very clever at laguages.
He'd pick up many dialects and he'd adjust himself. Being in Holland, he'd speak with a Dutch accent. He would not notice himself..

I think it is normal to pick up accents just not that quick. I worked with a group of guys with a very strong regional accent and when I went home my family laughed as I was speaking like them. I guess I picked it up subconsciously to fit in and feel more accepted. To do it as quick as your ex seems to me to be more about a very unstable sense of self.
zonnebloem

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2016, 03:38:52 PM »

sure, it is his very unstable sense of self that does it.

But...as kid he lived in the fantasy- cowboyÎndian-world.
He would not go to school and draw...very special ,clever pictures...lots of detail.

A favorite film is the "dances with wolves"
He texted me phrases, lines the Indians speak in that film! he learned that by heart, as kid.

FeelingBitter

Person in your life: Other

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2016, 12:44:21 PM »

In my experience, the baby talk/childish talk/doe eyes are whipped out when the pwBPD I know wants to manipulate someone.
Nuitari

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2016, 09:50:50 PM »

I know this might look like a silly topic, but I'm genuinely curious about something. Is "baby talk" a common habit among borderlines? I ask because that's the impression I get from reading other's posts. For example, I remember reading a comment not long ago where a member said that his ex described their sex as "yummy sex." This is something I could hear my ex saying. She was really big on baby talk. When she was ready to go to sleep she would say it was time to "go night-night." When she was hungry she would say it was time to "go yum-yum." I've seen several instances of baby talk here when people are quoting their exes, and it just got me wondering if this is a common trait among borderlines, and if so, why? Then again, maybe I'm just imagining this correlation. Did your exes exhibit baby talk?
Esquared

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2016, 12:21:27 AM »

I know this might look like a silly topic, but I'm genuinely curious about something. Is "baby talk" a common habit among borderlines? I ask because that's the impression I get from reading other's posts. For example, I remember reading a comment not long ago where a member said that his ex described their sex as "yummy sex." This is something I could hear my ex saying. She was really big on baby talk. When she was ready to go to sleep she would say it was time to "go night-night." When she was hungry she would say it was time to "go yum-yum." I've seen several instances of baby talk here when people are quoting their exes, and it just got me wondering if this is a common trait among borderlines, and if so, why? Then again, maybe I'm just imagining this correlation. Did your exes exhibit baby talk?

Mine occasionally said "choo choo" when she saw a train, and named her items like her cell phone.
woundedPhoenix

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2016, 01:56:54 AM »

underneath everything, there is a child that never was allowed to grow up in many borderlines. And maybe also in ourselves.

So it is kind of suppressed and when we feel totally safe in a loving relationship, this part can come out.

I think deep down that was the deepest connection we shared, to really open up these young and innocent parts in ourselves.

Unfortunately, these parts are hidden beneath a lot of brokenness, and the brokenness will make sure that that connection will fail sooner or later.

Babytalk i never really experienced, i think it was more that a part of our love was a childish love, both in a good and a bad way.
Links and Information
CLINICAL INFORMATION
The Big Picture
5 Dimensions of Personality
BPD? How can I know?
Get Someone into Therapy
Treatment of BPD
Full Clinical Definition
Top 50 Questions

EDITORIAL DEPARTMENTS
My Child has BPD
My Parent/Sibling has BPD