Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 25, 2024, 07:35:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need advice  (Read 367 times)
chriscaz
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Friend

« on: June 18, 2016, 09:16:52 AM »

Hi I am a gay male who is in an 8 year long distance relationship with a great guy, but have recently befriended a younger guy who  eventually developed feelings and now wants to have a relationship with me. He is obsessed with the idea that I will break up with my BF to be with him. I have told him I don't think that's going to happen, but I haven't told this guy to simply never speak to me again because I do truly care about him, and after some reading on the subject thanks to another friend who nailed this guy as a BPD, I truly feel he is a textbook case and my heart breaks for him. However, he is really going downhill, our interactions are incredibly tense, he is insecure, emotional, irrational, and extraordinarily accusatory, blaming so much of what irritates him on things I do. I am at my wits end. I am supposed to visit him this week where he lives, but I am feeling extremely uncomfortable doing so. I want to maintain my friendship but I want him to relax and not strangle me to death. I don't know where to turn. Also, there is a lot more to this story than I have mentioned here, but didn't want to start with loads of details. Will these posts and notifications show up in my email inbox, because he may have access to that, and I don't want him to know that I have posted.
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

C.Stein

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 09:37:47 AM »

Hello chriscaz,

I can certainly understand the frustration and confusion you must be feeling when faced with BPD type behavior.  The state of the relationship would appear to be triggering him as he feels closer to you than you do to him.  Given this, maintaining a friendship will be difficult at best especially if it at one time went further than friendship.  This will be something you will have to navigate carefully.  

What is making you uncomfortable about visiting him?

More details will help you gain some clarity and help us help you.   Smiling (click to insert in post)  

I have found writing it all down helps to organize your thoughts and emotions, especially when you are in the FOG.

You will need strong Boundaries if you are to go forward with a relationship/friendship with him.  This weekend might a good opportunity to start setting some healthy boundaries?

Email notifications can be set in your user profile.  Look in the left box for "Notifications and Email" and "Personal Message Options".   I believe the default is no notifications but you should check to make sure.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest