Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
November 23, 2014, 08:35:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Moderators: DreamGirl, Rapt Reader
Advisors: formflier, Kwamina, livednlearned, maxen, Mutt, pessim-optimist, Turkish, Waverider
Ambassadors: free-n-clear, lever, Moselle, NorthernGirl, tristesse, Ziggiddy
  Directory Guidelines Glossary   Boards   Help Login Register  
bing

GENERAL ANNOUNCEMENT

This board is intended for general questions about BPD and other personality disorders, trait definitions, and related therapies and diagnostics. Topics should be formatted as a question.

Please do not host topics related to the specific pwBPD in your life - those discussions should be hosted on an appropraite [L1] - [L4] board.

You will find indepth information provided by our senior members in our workshop board discussions (click here).

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BPD BEHAVIORS: Emotional Immaturity  (Read 45802 times)
elphaba
Emeritus

No good deed goes unpunished....

« on: August 03, 2007, 11:19:59 AM »

Here are some characteristics of emotional immaturity from When the man in your life can't commit by David Hawkins:

1. Volatile Emotions Emotional volatility is indicated by such things as explosive behavior, temper tantrums, low frustration tolerance, responses out of proportion to cause, oversensitivity, inability to take criticism, unreasonable jealousy, unwillingness to forgive, and a capricious fluctuation of moods.

2. Over-Dependence Healthy human development proceeds from dependence (I need you), to independence (I don’t need anyone), to interdependence (we need each other — see also the Seven Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. Covey).
Over-dependence is indicated by: a) inappropriate dependence, e.g. relying on someone when it is preferable to be self-reliant, and b) too great a degree of dependence for too long. This includes being too easily influenced, indecisive, and prone to snap judgments. Overly-dependent people fear change preferring accustomed situations and behavior to the uncertainty of change and the challenge of adjustment. Extreme conservatism may even be a symptom.

3. Stimulation Hunger This includes demanding immediate attention or gratification and being unable to wait for anything. Stimulation hungry people are incapable of deferred gratification, which means to put off present desires in order to gain a future reward. Stimulation hungry people are superficial and live thoughtlessly and impulsively. Their personal loyalty lasts only as long as the usefulness of the relationship. They have superficial values and are too concerned with trivia (their appearance, etc.). Their social and financial lives are chaotic.

4. Egocentricity Egocentricity is self-centeredness. It’s major manifestation is selfishness. It is associated with low self-esteem. Self-centered people have no regard for others, but they also have only slight regard for themselves. An egocentric person is preoccupied with his own feelings and symptoms. He demands constant attention and insists on self-gratifying sympathy, fishes for compliments, and makes unreasonable demands. He is typically overly-competitive, a poor loser, perfectionistic, and refuses to play or work if he can’t have his own way.

A self-centered person does not see himself realistically, does not take responsibility for his own mistakes or deficiencies, is unable to constructively criticize himself, and is insensitive to the feelings of others. Only emotionally mature people can experience true empathy, and empathy is a prime requirement for successful relationships.

“You may write me down in history
With your bitter, twisted lies,
You may trod me in the very dirt
But still, like dust, I'll rise.” - Maya Angelo

LAPDR
Emeritus

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 10:24:51 PM »

My experiences with my ex were always baffling to me then, I always thought she was trying to relive her teenage years. She never thought of the feelings and harm she did to me or our children. It was like she was in another world of her own at times and very driven to fulfill all her desires and needs. The only time I saw her express shame and guilt when she found out how her behavior had effected the spouse and children of others or when she found out she had been really lied to and manipulated by a game player that abused his wife or children. It was like she could have empathy to others that were abused but not to the ones she abused surrounding the very same behavior.

LA

Letting go when it is too painful to hang on is hard to rationalize.

A.J. Mahari
Professional Member

Author of Punishment & Revenge

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 04:37:14 PM »

According to the Developmental Theorists (with whom I totally agree based upon my own BPD experience) the previously developing healthy authentic psychological self is effectively killed (Melanie Klein - anxiety of the death instinct - which I write about in my ebook, The Legacy of Abandonment In BPD) which results in what I call the "core wound of abandonment" and results in the loss of this self and this is believed to occur by the age of 2 years in most cases - between 2 and 3 years of age at the outside.

e-books, Audio Programs, Life Coaching Services are available here
Be the change you want to see in the world ~ Gandhi

GENERAL ANNOUNCEMENT

This board is intended for general questions about BPD and other personality disorders, trait definitions, and related therapies and diagnostics. Topics should be formatted as a question.

Please do not host topics related to the specific pwBPD in your life - those discussions should be hosted on an appropraite [L1] - [L4] board.

You will find indepth information provided by our senior members in our workshop board discussions (click here).

A.J. Mahari
Professional Member

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 05:13:43 PM »

People with Borderline Personality Disorder, unless and until they make a lot of progress in recovery with skilled professional help, are by the very nature of what BPD is - emotionally immature. Emotional development is arrested at the time of the core wound of abandonment (as I call it) or abandonment trauma (Masterson). This means that the authentic self is lost and in the space it leaves rises up a false self - which I have written about in my ebook called, "The Shadows and Echoes of Self - The Rise of the False Self out of the Core Wound of Abandonment in BPD".

This false self has really one major role - to protect from further pain, intrapsychic injury, and above all else to be on guard for and try to ward off any future feelings of abandonment, betrayal, or loss.

The false self just is what it is. It is maladaptive. It doesn't have the capacity or ability to mature. It is a very young primitive response to having been effectively annihiliated.

When I was borderline, my God, for so long I didn't get it at all and thought everything was everyone else's problem but when I did "get it" in therapy and when I came face to face (around the age of 34 - over 15 years ago now) with how immature I really was it was like I was the last to know and I was devastated.

I was able though therapy with very skilled professionals reclaim my authentic self, re-parent it, understand and define it - and recover from BPD.

However, looking back at my borderline years, it is obvious to me now how they were they were epitomized by a very lost dissociated from young me (my inner child) who was split off from my false self (inner child versus false self of borderline usually an internal war zone of agony) was chasing the "mommy" I never had (never bonded or attached to or was nurtured by etc) in and through every single person I ever knew or tried to relate to. It was a nightmare when I started to realize all of this.

I had related to others totally (emotionally) from a very young child place, the neediness, the demandingness, the false sense of entitlement, the narcissistic stage in childhood of "me, me, me - the world does revolve around me right?" This is where all borderlines relate from until they learn how to cope with that and change and heal that in therapy. Something by the way that is exceedingly difficult and painful.

Where there can be some confusion regarding the maturity level of a person with BPD is that there are compensatory strategies employed by the borderlines that make them seem much more competent than they are. These strategies come from the borderline's usually very well-developed and strong intellectual capacity. So there is a huge gap between the development of a borderline intellectually - borderlines learn intellectually and master things and get degrees etc and the reality of what is the arrested psychological and emotional development.

I don't want or mean to sound harsh but as a person who recovered from BPD I have to say, borderlines (as was I then) are emotionally immature. And that won't change without intensive therapy. So again, my message to nons is please do not fool yourself into thinking that you can love them ENOUGH to produce some kind of increase in emotional maturity. From my experience on both sides of BPD it definately does not work that way.

To sum it up simply, because of all that happens to those who develop BPD they are not able to mature emotionally. They are caught back at very young ages of abandonment trauma and until it is resolved once and for all in therapy they will not have even the insight into the reality of how much they emotionally lack.

The lack is real. The lack is formidable. The lack requires professional help to be addressed appropriately.

By the way, in lots of the email I get from non borderlines from my web sites, they often feel a dilemma about whether or not to leave a relationship because, among other things, they get stuck on the notion that if they try hard enough they can change the borderline - mistake number one. They also get stuck with a huge "what-if". They email me and ask, "what if I let go now, or give up now, and he or she gets help, changes and becomes a wonderful human being - becomes who I see they could be and who it is I know I love" kind of thing. In countless emails I reply with the following hard-won insight:

If a non borderline sticks with the "what-ifs" he or she will be STUCK. The non will be stuck in all the suffering that we all know so well. The way to unhook from this or any other "what-ifs" that might have you STUCK is to begin to educate yourself (if you haven't already) about Radical Acceptance. Because nons have to learn to start their thought or decision-making process re to stay or leave, for example, from the foundation of "this is what IS right now - period" Can I put up with or live with it or not? Does the pain of it outweigh any possible benefits?

Borderline immaturity is ingrained in what it means to have Borderline Personality Disorder. You, as a non borderline, cannot will or wish it away. You cannot change it. You also likely cannot live with all the pain that it continues to cause you either - it is the classic no-win rock and a hard place.

It is important to radically accept where your borderline is at and who he/she really is - right now - for example, if they are extremely emotionally immature, radically accept that. That means you just sit with that reality. You do not judge it. It isn't a good thing or a bad thing, observe that it merely is what is.

Radical accepting the immaturity of the borderline in your life does not mean that you resign yourself to it or that you decide you will just put up with it.

Not to be a walking commercial here but in one of my ebooks for Non Borderlines, "The Other Side of BPD" I introduce the concepts of Mindfulness and Radical Acceptance and explain how these two concepts (generally) and as defined by Linehan (who created DBT Skills Training for borderlines) and how they can and will help non borderlines to begin to suffer less and be able to create a foundation from which they can then begin to clarify what they need and how to go about achieving it.

Borderline Personality Disorder, in my opinion, is a relational disorder. At the heart of it is the enduring emotional immaturity that essentially defines it and that is a direct result of the core wound of abandonment that arrested the borderline's emotional development at 2 years of age.

It is not practical or reasonable, really, I say to you gently, to expect to have the healthy intimacy, mutuality, or reciprocity that are the hallmarks of healthy relationships with someone who has BPD - simply put, that's the bottom line, sadly enough for all concerned.

Vincent

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 06:07:05 PM »

Hi A.J

Thank you very much for this insightful post.

It's great to have someone who has recovered from bpd to share thoughts with us all here.

As u may have noticed, many of us are still trying to understand the why and the how of the bpd behavior.

I'm one of them.

Thank you again for your post, and I hope we will have the occasion to read more from you !

Take care

Vince

A.J. Mahari
Professional Member

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 06:31:56 PM »

Hi A.J

Thank you very much for this insightful post.

It's great to have someone who has recovered from bpd to share thoughts with us all here.

As u may have noticed, many of us are still trying to understand the why and the how of the bpd behavior.

I'm one of them.

Thank you again for your post, and I hope we will have the occasion to read more from you !

Take care

Vince

Hi Vince,

You are welcome smiley

I know from my own web sites and all the mail I get from nons that the trying to figure everything borderline out is a major place that keeps nons STUCK. I also know this from my own experience. I was the child of 2 borderline parents. Then had BPD - recovered from BPD, and then of all things, I ended up in a train wreck relationship with a borderline-narcissist (God has a funny way of inspiring me to grow or what?) My point is that as much as I know about BPD from the inside out and both sides, I too ended up not only with a borderline but trying to rescue her and trying to figure her out.

I think this is the major reason I KNOW that even if we can figure it out, even if and when we really understand it - nothing changes, and unless we are willing to let go - pain just increases and we go around and around...

It is very human to want to know why isn't it?

Bish

Dance like nobody's watching

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 04:45:42 AM »

A.J.Mahari... thank you! Fantastic post!

I had just been reading about radical acceptance on the other thread you started, and to be honest I hadn't quite understood the concept, then I read this post and I think I am starting to comprehend what radical acceptance actually means in relation to my SO.

I have researched BPD extensively (like a good non lol) and although I had a pretty good grasp of the issues my SO faced and we have even talked about her behaviours together (she is committed to therapy) I still floundered a bit.

Then I read this...

This false self has really one major role - to protect from further pain, intrapsychic injury, and above all else to be on guard for and try to ward off any future feelings of abandonment, betrayal, or loss.

...and I thought "YES!". This is exactly how my SO tries to describe what is going on in her head when she starts acting out (or in).

When I was borderline, my God, for so long I didn't get it at all and thought everything was everyone else's problem but when I did "get it" in therapy and when I came face to face (around the age of 34 - over 15 years ago now) with how immature I really was it was like I was the last to know and I was devastated.

However, looking back at my borderline years, it is obvious to me now how they were they were epitomized by a very lost dissociated from young me (my inner child) who was split off from my false self (inner child versus false self of borderline usually an internal war zone of agony) was chasing the "mommy" I never had (never bonded or attached to or was nurtured by etc) in and through every single person I ever knew or tried to relate to. It was a nightmare when I started to realize all of this.

This, too, is exactly how my SO percieved both myself and her previous female T. It has taken us months to get her to even try and react to me as her adult partner rather than her mother, and months for her to accept that she does react in an emotionally immature way to me most of the time... she didn't like it at all and fought it for a long time!

If a non borderline sticks with the "what-ifs" he or she will be STUCK. The non will be stuck in all the suffering that we all know so well. The way to unhook from this or any other "what-ifs" that might have you STUCK is to begin to educate yourself (if you haven't already) about Radical Acceptance. Because nons have to learn to start their thought or decision-making process re to stay or leave, for example, from the foundation of "this is what IS right now - period" Can I put up with or live with it or not? Does the pain of it outweigh any possible benefits?

This is a perfect way to describe my choices at the moment... I am so fed up of friends and family telling me I am insane to stick it out, and that I should just leave now. I struggled to explain that the future that we could have, and the person I know she is and can be, outweighs the behviours and BP issues that are present at the moment. I used to say "I have a great tolerance for pain, and I haven't hit rock bottom yet!", but I guess I can see how that wouldn't reassure anyone  :smiley I think I got that from my years in recovery and through AA... I will definitely be explaining it differently from now on  wink

Thanks once again for your input, much appreciated, hope to see you around the boards much more

Bish x

“Pleasure of love lasts but a moment, pain of love lasts a lifetime.”
Vincent

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2007, 03:45:16 AM »

Yep, the miracle is that some bpd like you AJ make it and realize their problem.

My xgf would always refuse to admit. Even when I faced her with the facts. Even when I forced her to see she was manipulating facts, by making her read her own previous messages.

She would not admit. NO way. No win. On the contrary, she was trying to have me think I was the mad one. The one with mental issues.

So, it's great to see there is a way out. Altnough I tried so hard in vain to have her SEE that I feel sad I could help her. But I accept it now.

yoo

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2007, 11:32:02 AM »

My ex is a high functionning type. Most of the people won't see how fragile she is. She displays an enormous amount of energy to hide it, even to very close friends. She manages to arrange her world so that no one will see. And it works. Most of the people see her as a strong person. But beyond the masks of conventional smiles, there is a fragile, frightened little kid.

Very few are the people she let come close enough to perceive what she spends so much energy to hide. And fewer actually grasp the suffering. And unfortunately, those people who see, who hear, who pay attention, are soon rejected. At the same time, they are the only ones would could lend a hand.

I’m among the few people who did grasp the suffering. Many times I felt immensely lonely, if not out of my mind, being the only person in her surroundings to see beyond the masks. But she let me see it. And soon rejected me precisely for that. I guess that she was tremendously scared.

Now, I have accepted that I cannot tear down those walls for her. It’s her journey. I live my own life outside, knowing that she knows that I’ve heard. And if one day she escapes her glass prison, maybe she’ll come to me and reach my hand. Still, I won’t wait for that to happen, and I might no longer be there if it does. I have my own journey. Outside.

Still, every once in a while, I wonder what could trigger enough will, enough strength for this frightened little kid inside her to tear down those walls that she continues to build so carefully. What could make her no longer feel that she’s protected by these walls, but imprisoned by them…

AJ, you're a living proof that escaping the glass prison is possible.
Thanks for providing this hope, not only for the BPs, but also for the Nons.

- yoo
ELF

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2007, 04:29:31 PM »

I noticed this immaturity when we started playing checkers and backgammon.  If he won, he reacted fine.  But you couldn't 'kid' around with him if he lost.  Like when I would kiddingly go "Yeah!  I won!"  In a very serious way, he was hurt (he's 49).   After a while I often would 'let' him win.  Then I just stopped playing.  I had to be careful I wouldn't hurt his feelings (about checkers-for goodness sake).
Links and Information
Tools
Validation
Ending Cycle of Conflict
Triggering and Wisemind
Values and Boundaries
Becoming more empathetic?
On-Line CBT Program
>> More Tools

Video
What is BPD - Family
What is BPD - Romantic