Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
July 24, 2017, 07:45:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Narcissism and How It Affects Our Daily Life: A Research Study Take the survey
Administrator: heartandwhole
Moderators: Meili, once removed
Member support team: DaddyBear77, gotbushels, Tattered Heart, Turkish, wendydarling, Woolspinner2000
  Directory Guidelines Glossary   Boards   Help Please Donate Login Register  
THE PSYCHOLOGY OF PERSONALITY DISORDERS
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Article review of current therapies for BPD  (Read 1323 times)
qcarolr
Distinguished Member

Person in your life: Child

« on: March 10, 2013, 05:04:15 PM »

I came across this article today and thought it was very interesting. The Schema Therapy model seems to have the best research based results. It had an impact on all criteria in BPD: the disruptions to the 'sense of self', the emotional dysregulation and impulsivity features. There was a higher success rate and a lower drop out rate.

The other positive with this therapy program is how well it fits with other investigation I am doing in the neuroscience of attachment in children and the neuroscience of the out-of-balance functioning of pwBPD in these studies. I am about half-way through the book "A Dissociation Model of BPD" by Russell Meares that comes out of this field of research and a focus on an immature development of 'self' as the primary disruption in BPD with the emotional dysregulation as the secondary feature that we can experience with the pwBPD.

www.bpdresources.net/top_articles/BPD_therapy.htm

It is so very important that the therapists involved, no matter what therapy is being discussed, has support for themselves so they are able to stay connected in a validating way and set up boundaries that allow for continuatin of treatment in a safe environment for all parties involved. Staying connected to a pwBPD in a nuturing way is an immense challenge - even for the 'pros'.

What do you all think?

qcr

The best criticism of the bad is the practice of the better. (Dom Helder)

qcarolr
Distinguished Member

Person in your life: Child

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 05:15:53 PM »

Then I am reminded of the economics of life: all the succesfull therapies require money, trained professionals, lots and lots of time, and willingness to participate of all parties involved.

So I have been on an adventure the past couple years to improve my "therapeutic parenting skills" so I can be the pre-therapy mentor/life coach for my BPDDD26. Thanks to so much support of my friends her at BPDFamily.com, and lots and lots of reading and practicing and therapy and practicing and venting...     things are getting better at my house. Still no formal T for my D, yet she is managing her emotional level to be in our home, and is slowly developing the ability tob e reflective about her part in the ups and downs of her r/s's with her friends -- esp. bf's. It is actually refreshing that she can share with me the things she did on fb, who blocked her, and that she gets why - it is what she put on fb in anger.  Such a giant leap forward.

Skills I am trying to implement: validating environment in my home and in my persoanl r/s's; knowing what my values are and putting boundaries in place to protect these, myself, and others in the household; meeting my own needs so I don't look to others in my family to do this through their actions and behaviors (this is actually the hardest old pattern to change for me - I am an accomplished whiner); radical acceptance of others and outcomes; all surrounded by an energy field of unconditional LOVE.

What skills have helped make your life better, if you choose to stay in a r/s with your pwBPD?

qcr

The best criticism of the bad is the practice of the better. (Dom Helder)
Links and Information
CLINICAL INFORMATION
The Big Picture
5 Dimensions of Personality
BPD? How can I know?
Get Someone into Therapy
Treatment of BPD
Full Clinical Definition
Top 50 Questions

EDITORIAL DEPARTMENTS
My Child has BPD
My Parent/Sibling has BPD