Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
November 26, 2020, 01:08:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Harri, Once Removed
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, I Am Redeemed, Mutt, Turkish
  Help!   Groups   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Have a question about the Support Group?
Frequently asked questions about how to navigate the messageboard
Which books will best support my therapy or my work here?
How can I contest or get clarification of a moderator's action?
What is the history of this support group and messageboard?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it possible to edit and/or delete my posts and threads  (Read 795 times)
haitch

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Living Together

« on: May 01, 2020, 05:06:00 AM »

Hi,

Is it possible to edit and/or delete my posts and threads if I needed or wanted too?
Thanks
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 11:22:58 PM by Harri, Reason: split posts from \"Could I be Found Out?\" » Logged
Express yourself!
Why not add a little personality and warmth to your screen name? We have added to our collection and now have over 800 avatars to choose from. If you haven't shopped for an avatar in a while, come take a look!

Select an avatar here
Harri
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2020, 09:33:19 AM »

Hi there.   Welcome new member (click to insert in post)

We do not delete posts as that would leave gaps in a persons story and it is not fair to those members who took the time to respond.  

We are pretty anonymous here.  We have over 3 million posts so it is pretty hard to randomly find someone on our site.  Rarely are people found and when they are its because of leaving the site open on their computer, not clearing history, or by using a name that they have used elsewhere and is well known.

The best strategies for keeping safe are listed in the above posts.

Harri

True empathy requires objectivity.
PearlsBefore

What is your sexual orientation: Other
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2020, 10:12:30 AM »

Hi there.   Welcome new member (click to insert in post)

We do not delete posts as that would leave gaps in a persons story and it is not fair to those members who took the time to respond.  

Harri

Best practices, including protecting privacy rights and even limiting legal liability for the website, might be to re-allow editing/deletion after a thread goes "inactive" (already logged, as evidenced by the fact THIS thread warns me it is inactive and has received no posts in 3 months).

Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.
Harri
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2020, 11:18:54 PM »

Hi Pearls.

An inactive thread is one that has not had posts within 90 days, but millions of posts here are read long after a thread has gone 'inactive'.  Our collection of threads benefit hundreds of thousands of readers who choose not to post and are important resource they would not otherwise have.

Regarding privacy and best practices, you left out an important part of my answer in your quote, which was:
Excerpt
We are pretty anonymous here.  We have over 3 million posts so it is pretty hard to randomly find someone on our site.  Rarely are people found and when they are its because of leaving the site open on their computer, not clearing history, or by using a name that they have used elsewhere and is well known.

We do take privacy very seriously here.  We also are open about our policy in our guidelines which all members are encouraged to read before posting.  

Harri
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 11:24:25 PM by Harri » Logged

PearlsBefore

What is your sexual orientation: Other
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2020, 09:10:56 AM »

My concern is that, (nothing personal to you and simplyby the nature of hosting of a forum), you are not in possession of the actual data of how often people have been "found out" on this site unless they make the unusual choice of then telling the site about it; I would assume most would not do that, they would simply leave quietly.

Having a privacy policy we encourage people to read again is par for the course for any website, yet the vast majority do allow you to delete your old posts. As it stands right now, if I determine in a year that my own posts might cause distress to a BPD loved one who found them (or other relatives who found them and knew I was talking about them)...my recourse would honestly have to be to [what would be perceived as a 'threat of legal action' if I gave detail] in order to have the posts removed, user account de-activated and general actions taken that can be taken anywhere else on the internet to protect my family years after I sought advice. That's not good for anyone, to make it necessary to have such legal action - and there's no good reason to avoid it; there are many workaround solutions such as only allowing deletions after a certain time period, or allowing users to have their username removed from all their posts and dis-connected from their profile server side, etc.

Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.
Harri
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2020, 10:30:53 AM »

Excerpt
there are many workaround solutions such as only allowing deletions after a certain time period, or allowing users to have their username removed from all their posts and dis-connected from their profile server side, etc.

With the exception of deleting, which is what the OP asked about, we do work with our members.   Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2020?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Links and Information
CLINICAL INFORMATION
The Big Picture
5 Dimensions of Personality
BPD? How can I know?
Get Someone into Therapy
Treatment of BPD
Full Clinical Definition
Top 50 Questions