Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 04, 2024, 09:17:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Parallel Parenting in Real Time  (Read 239 times)
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« on: January 01, 2024, 09:33:03 PM »

I dropped the kids off at the ex-laws on Christmas Eve. I was invited to stay, but I'd just been socializing with my fiends, and another 8 hours seemed too much, in addition to the fact of driving 1.5 hours home later at night as my work schedule gets me up in the 0500 and 0600 hours. My ex dropped the kids off near 11PM. I left the door unlocked.

I did the meet and greet when I dropped them off. S13 got stuck in the kitchen behind his uncle's baby gate. I kind of made fun of him with a "duh, it's child proof." He laughed when I let him out. His mom was right there and she said, "I read in a book that is not good to say that." S13 (14 in 3 weeks) said, "that's how dad's and sons talk to each other," to which I added, "it's to toughen him up."

She shook her head. His aunt shook her head "aye [S13]!"

Maybe I should apologize for being from the 80s? George Carlin. Eddie Murphy. I greeted him "what's up fool?" In front of her a while back. She criticized me.  He takes it how it is: funny.

She's still on this thing about his diagnosed autism (ASD1, Aspergers) He hates it when wet bring it up: "I'm just a normal kid."  Yet she treats him with kid gloves regarding that. My views on the autism industrial complex is another rant...

Last week, I was waiting on the street for him to walk home from school at dusk. He saw me by the tree and greeted, "what's up,  fool?" And I returned it. We both laughed and I hugged him. We went inside and I gave him his dinner which I'd prepared in time to him coming home and he appreciated it.

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
EyesUp
Senior Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: divorced

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2024, 09:38:16 PM »

Sounds like healthy self-deprecating humor / benign sarcasm to me.  Just the opposite of a hyper sensitive / easily insulted insecure response.

Rock on.
Notwendy

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2024, 06:03:57 AM »

I can see you are being humerous, but how does your son perceive it? If he's on the spectrum- does he take it literally or does he think it's funny?

Sometimes we can say something with intent- and the intent isn't received the same way. I think the main thing is how does your son feel about it? He's old enough to tell you. I'd suggest asking him- if it bothers him, then you know.

Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2024, 07:46:55 PM »

I tired something like this on him in 6th grade and he was really offended and hurt. I apologized profusely to him. In the past few years, I've observed him grow into a teenager, interact with his buddies, and tell me things with humor. I don't make a habit at all of mock shaming or "capping" on him, as we used to say in the 80s, but he gets it now. We relate on a teenage level.

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
Notwendy

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2024, 05:50:53 AM »

That's good and seems to work for you. There's this kind of banter in my H's family- it's something he's used to and everyone is fine with it. I didn't grow up with this in my family, so I tend to be oversensitive to it. I don't know why- maybe it's something to do with the dysfunction in my own FOO or just different parenting styles.

I think what is going on here is two different parenting styles and that is OK as long as the kids are OK. If your son "gets" your humor - and it seems he does, then fine. His mother may not "get" it as much. I don't have BPD so I don't think it's a BPD thing, just differences in how we grew up and also perceive humor. 

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest