Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 22, 2024, 04:05:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for Residential Therapy Center in Michigan  (Read 545 times)
StrugglingMom76

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: February 09, 2013, 06:18:57 PM »

I am desperately needing help finding somewhere in Michigan that has a residential in patient therapy that I can get my 17 year old daughter into. Several issues here I am a single mom who lost her job dealing with my daughters mental issues so financial issues is huge. PLEASE HELP!

Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
mggt

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 06:33:29 PM »

Hello I am from the state of mass.  My d was in a residential treatment center run by the MASS STATE MENTAL HEALTH Maybe you could  find out  if your state offers any of this .  Does she have a therapist? You could ask them.  Look on line under mental health or Nami key that in.  Good luck and I pray for you and your d .  Keep you in my prayers. 
StrugglingMom76

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 06:37:16 PM »

mggt I am working with community mental health and there is no access through the state to inpatient care for BPD  I am desperate because she has escalated into very dangerous behavior and I am scared for my safety and my sons. The court is trying to shuffle to mental health and mental health is shuffling her to the courts leaving me having an unstable dangerous young lady returning home from a short stay in the hospital. I am scared and if I refuse to let her home the hospital will call CPS and I will risk losing my young son. This situation is a mess and I am an emotional WRECK!
mggt

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 06:52:14 PM »

HI not sure what the laws are in mi but if she is  in the hospital now tell them EXACTLY how you feel about your d coming home.  Is there any type of therapists there? I hate to say this but if you feel like you are in danger from her or your son is in danger you have to tell the people in the hospital and if she comes home and is  violent in any way you have to call 911 for your sake and sons .  I wish I had more information for you but This is a terrible disease and I know from first hand experience. Has she been in the court system?  See if you can talk to a probation officer or someone and beg them to help you .  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)
StrugglingMom76

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 07:01:30 PM »

Mggt,

I have begged cried pleaded we do not feel safe not only to the hospital and therapists and doctors there (psychiatrist), I have done the same with community mental health, department of human services, juvenile court, police and child protective services. No one will help they just tell me I have to provide her a safe environment well there is no where for my to send her she was kicked out of the youth services here and from her grand parents who tried to help there are NO options and I am losing it  
mggt

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 07:10:29 PM »

I am so sorry for all your anguish it is so frustrating .  If she is still in hospital tell drs you cant take her home due to her mental illness , I dont know what else to tell you .  Is there anyone else that  could help friends sisters brothers uncle aunts.  I hope you get some help for your d i know how devastating this disease is .  God Bless and I will keep you in my prayers  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)
eac

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 07:26:26 PM »

Hello.  I am in Michigan as well.  Sadly, michigan has very few resources.  I don't know where you are in MI.  In Southeast MI there is Hawthorne center but you can only get in there through CMH. There is also a place in Kalamazoo I think.  When 14dd was in U of M and we were looking for placement her social worker recommended a place on the West side of the state that does a lot of charity placements.  It is called eagle village.  You can find it here: eaglevillage.org  This is all I know of them though.  I keep the as a back pocket resource.  Also, try to get emergency medicaid.  There are many places that would take her on medicaid but you need to do this before she turns 18.  I am so sorry for your pain and distress.  Our country needs to wake up and help families struggling with mental illness.  Out state is especially bad for child psychiatric inpatient facilities.  I have a friend who needed inpatient substance abuse treatment for her child and there was only one facility within a 3 hour drive and we live just outside of Detroit.  I hope you can find the help you need
StrugglingMom76

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 07:38:31 PM »

EAC,

I am working directly with CMH and they have told me there are NO facilities that would take my daughter they are wanting me to take her back home and work outpatient. Well she will not attend she is going to just run away AGAIN and the police will bring her back and we will be right where we are again in a volatile situation where she becomes out of control because she wants to find that fantasy world of no rules and consequences she thinks is out there. I fear she will do something she cannot take back such as harming or killing one of us, she has said she would murder me if she could get away with it. I just do not understand why no one will help me. I am now losing my home because I cannot even hold a job every other day I am having appointments, court dates or having to go to the ER or call the police my life is falling apart and I need help DAMMIT I NEED HELP *crying*  
lbjnltx
Retired Staff

Relationship status: widowed

we can all evolve into someone beautiful

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 07:40:53 PM »

Hello Strugglingmom,

So sorry to hear about your d and the pain and fear.

Does your d have an IEP at her public school?

BPDd-13 Residential Treatment - keep believing in miracles
eac

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 07:41:55 PM »

Where are you in MI? Look up Hawthorne center.  It is the state run child facility.  Ask them why specifically the won't send her?  Many BPD's are diagnosed with depression or bipolar in order to get services.
StrugglingMom76

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2013, 07:56:01 PM »

We are near Ann Arbor I will ask them tomorrow thank you!
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
StrugglingMom76

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2013, 07:59:09 PM »

lbjnltx,

yes she does have an IEP and we are looking into wrap around services but we are running out of time
lbjnltx
Retired Staff

Relationship status: widowed

we can all evolve into someone beautiful

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2013, 08:24:12 PM »

Are you working towards getting placement in RTC through the IEP?  If so, you most likely will not be limited to facilities in your home state. 

As a gap service, is Therapeutic foster care an option?

BPDd-13 Residential Treatment - keep believing in miracles
mggt

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2013, 07:50:20 PM »

HELLO thinking of you today hope you have some  good news about d and getting her into res treatment good luck and will keep you in my prayers hang in there things do get better from mggt
OTH
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Single

It's not too late to make better choices

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2013, 08:06:55 PM »

www.pinerest.org/home

My sister has stayed at Pine Rest in Grand Rapids. They had very good care there. This was over 10 years ago though. I don't know if they have maintained the same level of services.

Mary Oliver:  Someone I loved gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this too, was a gift

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest