Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 22, 2024, 01:04:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Near or in break-up mode?
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Escaping Conflict and the Karpman Drama Triangle
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Couples Therapy Session  (Read 928 times)
Buddy Joe

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Living together

« on: September 29, 2022, 12:43:09 AM »

Here is the backstory of our current issue:
https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=354021.msg13180673#msg13180673

My birthday is tomorrow and she booked an overnight stay despite me telling her not to since there is already a booking for the next weekend. There are 2 plans in place but the non-refundable/can't reschedule one is of my pwBPD. My plan for my birthday can still be adjusted it was just something I wanted since I didn't book anything that would merit the same booking as hers. Unfortunately, compromise is absent in this scenario. She felt ashamed for choosing to book it still and not respecting my decision. I know she's coming from a thoughtful place that she just wanted the best for me. But how everything transpired just escalated the issue.

I wanted to compromise that if it cannot be cancelled or rescheduled then I'll just go. She doesn't like the thought that I didn't want to to begin with then it would seem like I was just forced to join her. It baffles me that her priority is what I wanted to do and yet decided on her own.

Our therapist said that we just spend that day differently since if we are in the same room we will just fight. Since the emotions are still high strung. So she is going to the resort without me but with her 2 kids.

Points of our therapist:
1. She said that she can just tell the kids that there was a misunderstanding with the plans.
2. My priority is not the kids but my family since we're not yet married. (Big brain moment since my pwBPD always wanted to have a family unit that I would always put her first even if it was respect to my immediate family. So this was a relief.)
3. It's best to spend time apart and see how it would feel like when we are not together. Check from there if we still want to work things out. My partner was the only one verbally open to breaking up because she can't take me anymore.
4. Take a break first to cool down.
5. Our T asked about her relationships with her friends and co-workers if it's the same as ours, she said no. The T said it's because there is intimacy involved between us and the stakes are higher compared to the other people, which makes our relationship more vulnerable.

We scheduled our own individual sessions with our T in the next 2 weeks.

Her points during the session that just left me speechless:
1. When she shares my side of the story, it gets distorted and be used as a reference that would strengthen her narrative.
2. Claims she didn't say this when she actually did. (This happens a lot.)
3. When she shares her POV and she hates it when I become defensive. She feels that she is not heard.
4. Refers to our fights as petty. Now I know logic is not my best friend here.
5. This is not the kind of relationship she wants because she just feels like she's a monster with me. She wants to feel loved, listened to and understood.
6. Ending arguments with, "Fine! It's all my fault! Is that okay already? Does that work for you?" (This results to me feeling like S Cursing - won't cause site restrictions at Starbucks (click to insert in post) because she tells me sarcastically that I'm so perfect and she's the only one committing the mistakes.)
7. I do all the leg work in order to make the relationship work and all she does is ruin it.
8. She'll go crazy if she stays with me.

Here is the cycle:
> She does apologize sometimes for what she did but injects other insulting statement afterwards. So, I don't feel the sincerity of her apology. Just so she can utter it out. (Defense mechanism for feeling ashamed.)
> We can't move on from the issue because it gets padded with other things.
> The arrow is now pointed towards me and when I act on it, it gets worse. When I try to gather my thoughts and remain quiet, she tries to push me over the cliff just so she gets the reaction she was hoping for. ME = ANGRY (Not my best self and no composure.)
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

LifewithEase

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2022, 11:44:24 AM »

Buddy Joe,

Lots here, I know the challenges.

For what it is worth, this jumped out at me:

This is not the kind of relationship she wants because she just feels like she's a monster with me. She wants to feel loved, listened to and understood.

I've heard this from my uBPDw a few times over the +10 years. Never really understood it. My T says she is blaming me for her deep felt emotion for how she acts (maybe even sees how she behaves). Recently, I've tested her "I deserved to be treated kindly" proclamation. In the last week, the last 10 times I've tried to be proactively kind she has shut me down, told me to stop or critiqued the kind act.

I believe they do want to be loved, listened to and understood but struggle with the ability to accept that level of intimacy.

Couscous

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Sibling

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2022, 01:37:05 PM »

Excerpt
This is not the kind of relationship she wants because she just feels like she's a monster with me.

This is why often the kindest thing we can do for pwBPD or NPD is to leave them, or at the very least, be willing to put the relationship on the line if they do not make an effort to control their destructive behavior. If they can control themselves in public, then they have the capacity to do so in private too, and the only reason they do not is because they don't have to. It's really as simple as that. There is an entire book devoted to this topic: Disarming the Narcissist, by Wendy Behary.  

LifewithEase

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2022, 08:46:40 PM »

How well does Behary's book apply to the sublet aspects of BPD. I understand that NPD is the other side of the coin but, for example, high functioning petulant BPD feels very far away from NPD.

Couscous

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Sibling

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2022, 09:21:51 PM »

Here’s an interview with her that may help answer your question: https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=303625.0

My brother is a petulant BPD and I thought all of her advice was spot on. I have a feeling that had my SIL read it and applied the advice that she would have had better results than I did in spite of the high level of contempt he had for her. In my case he didn’t seem to value our relationship enough but YMMV, as they say. The book will also help you identify your own schemas and help you understand why you married your W.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 09:27:37 PM by Couscous » Logged
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2014; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2022, 09:33:07 PM »

I believe they do want to be loved, listened to and understood but struggle with the ability to accept that level of intimacy.

While also believing deep down that they are undeserving of it. That is the struggle.

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
Manic Miner

Relationship status: married

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2022, 07:17:34 AM »

How well does Behary's book apply to the sublet aspects of BPD. I understand that NPD is the other side of the coin but, for example, high functioning petulant BPD feels very far away from NPD.

Not quite, at least not from my experience. My W is high-functioning BPD, but has many NPD traits as well. Empathy that magically shuts down the moment she's hurt. Likes to be applauded, seeks approval, sees all remarks on her or her work as threats on her very being. She also wants to be treated as 'special' - entitled and 'above' in our marriage, as mother and a woman. Told me that she'd like to be treated as 'my princess', because she deserved it after everything she's been through (sigh). A victim of sorts.

And this wasn't just one time thing, but she needed approval all the time. And never was good enough. Same thing that applies to narcissists could also apply to her. Very much so. But I'm not surprised as both of these are on the same spectrum.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2022, 07:26:56 AM by Manic Miner » Logged
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2022, 08:54:05 AM »

My birthday is tomorrow and she booked an overnight stay despite me telling her not to  

It would seem as though you gained some invaluable insight into how she operates in the relationship.  How do you plan to use that insight to make your decisions about the relationship...going forward?

If you think about what I highlighted for just a moment...I think there is a chance that your words contributed to her actions.

Perhaps..

Consider these two and see how they "feel" or "sound"

1.  I'm "telling" you not to do (fill in the blank).    Can you see how to some people,that might be like a matador waiving a red cape at a bull?

2.  "Oh goodness babe...  I'm going to be doing XYZ for my birthday and I would love for you and your kiddos to come along, but certainly understand if you decide to make other plans."

Just a thought.  

Best,

FF

LifewithEase

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2022, 12:23:58 PM »

Couscous,

You mentioned in an earlier thread that your brother is a HF petulant BPD and he has/uses contempt with your SIL.

How does contempt fit into BPD?

It seems like it is a part of FOG... or a false narrative that repeats and amplifies in the BPD mind.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest