Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 06, 2024, 10:20:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
VIDEO: "What is parental alienation?" Parental alienation is when a parent allows a child to participate or hear them degrade the other parent. This is not uncommon in divorces and the children often adjust. In severe cases, however, it can be devastating to the child. This video provides a helpful overview.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What have YOU done wrong in the relationship?  (Read 363 times)
mstnghu

What is your sexual orientation: Confidential
Relationship status: Married (10 years)

« on: February 18, 2016, 05:36:48 PM »

I think this might be an interesting topic to bring up. On this board, it's easy for us nons to act as though all the problems in our relationships are caused by our partners. At least for me, I believe that a huge portion of my relationship issues with my wife are a result of her crazy BPD (undiagnosed) thinking. She has some serious issues that she refuses to address or even acknowledge in the first place, so we have constant circular fights that never accomplish anything at all.

I'm beyond frustrated. I haven't been perfect either though. Not long after we began dating, I began to develop a drinking problem. At first, it was just a coping mechanism I used to be able to better tolerate her behavior. Drinking helped to take the edge off. After awhile, she complained that I was drinking too much. I honestly didn't know how I could really put up with her crap most of the time unless I'd had a little bit of a buzz going. Eventually, she really started getting on my case anytime I drank around her. She couldn't comprehend that I felt I NEEDED it in order to deal with her.

In order to not piss her off, I began to hide my drinking from her. That's typical of so many other things in our relationship. I've always had to hid lots of things from her just so she won't go ballistic. It's usually really stupid stuff too. As I began drinking more secretly, I also found I was drinking a lot more and putting a lot more time and energy into getting alcohol and hiding it.

My wife eventually found out about me drinking heavily and hiding it about 10 months ago. The s**t really hit the fan then. She got her parents involved and it turned into a huge clusterf**k. For those who aren't aware, when somebody with BPD finds dirt on their partner, they run fast and hard with it! My wife has become relentlessly controlling and demanding and throws it in my face every chance she gets. Now, all the focus of the problems in our relationship and any of our son's behavior issues have all become entirely my fault and I'm blamed for every bit of unhappiness or problems in our household.

So, that was my big mistake. I allowed alcohol to have a stronghold in my life. It brought plenty of negative repercussions along with it. I've come clean to all my close friends and family about it. Their response? They weren't surprised at all based on all the crap I've put up with from my wife over the years. Not one of them had anything bad to say about it and they were all very supportive of me. I knew I had to get my drinking under control and have since taken steps to fix the issue.

According to my wife though, I'm an untrustworthy sack of s**t who has "destroyed her life"... .her words.

Anyways, I'm curious to hear from others. What have YOU done wrong in your relationship? How did the BPD person in your life handle it or do they even know about it?  If they know about it, do they throw it in your face every chance they get? Are they understanding and forgiving (ha ha, just kidding... .or course not!  Smiling (click to insert in post))?

I know in my situation, I felt like I really allowed alcohol to have too much control over my life and affect many areas of my life in a negative way. I'm learning how to cope with life in healthier ways these days and my life is much better overall. My wife refuses to drop the issue though and uses it against me at every opportunity.
lingering

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Married since 12/11/2009, divorce final 2-26-16

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 06:27:15 PM »

Great topic!

I have been trying to sort this out for the last few days.  I don't want to just blame my mate for the failure of our marriage.  I too took to drinking.  I started back in AA on 12/13/15 but the behavior is making me crazy and I am just sick to death of not saying what is so for me to keep from the next over reaction.  Today, I started looking for a new house to rent.  I just have to go.

What I have done:  Well, I am a trained mental health therapist and he was my client.  I broke my ethical vows and lost my job because I thought he was true love.  Disgusting and pitiful as I look back at it.  The good news is I found a career that fits me better and I am extremely satisfied with  my professional life.

I see looking back that I was very needy.  I felt somehow less than because I was single for so long.  I also have a lot of regret about past sexual behavior that certainly adds to the shame soup 

I know enough that living with my husband is wrecking my spirit.  I have been very, extremely depressed for years.  I have said it was seasonal affective disorder.  It isn't  I am in despair that I made such a poor choice, that I violated my ethics and now that I am going to hurt him by leaving.  I never intended to hurt him.  I am very sad that I am the cause of the hurt now but I want my life back and I do not want to continue our cluster f**k any longer. 

Hopefully, I can find the place tonight and can move forward with my plan.  I have just been really honest when we have tried to talk about the most recent rage,silence,denial, pleading binge this week.  I am so tired.

Leaving!
believer55

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 11:14:05 PM »

At the risk of sounding terrible... .I think I am taking some of my frustration out on his son. My uBPDh is so terrified of negative feelings he panders to hisnson who now can not function on his own and in turn has also not learned to deal with negative feelings. I have tried to talk with my partner abiut this but he gets so defensive he then attacks me and my 2 kids (surprise). I can't help his son and now I don't even want to try. Thisnattitudemof mine is now causing more problems.

I know I am less than perfect... .he likes to remind me of that Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)Smiling (click to insert in post)
hergestridge

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 02:53:54 AM »

My wife was unable to make decisions, changed her mind a lot and she was afraid to tell me her opinion on anything due to her fear on conflict/separation.

The only way I could handle that was to "be the captain". When she changed her mind I just told her that she should have spoke her mind when we discussed the issue, not later when we were in the middle of doing whatever we discussed doing/planned.

In hindsight I probably should have asked her a lot more what she thought, if she had any doubts or how she felt about certain things.

I could not imagine that a person as forceful and stubborn as my wife could be afraid to speak her mind. 18 years into our relationship I learnt about BPD and then it all made sense all of a sudden.

Also, I regret losing contact with all my friends and locking myself in an apartment with my wife as my only company for too long. But this was part of the deal. If I had done it any other way my wife would have seen that as a betrayal and punished me for it, which would have ended our relationship.

Which would have been a good thing actually, because our relationship was wrong from day one. She left me 1,5 years ago BTW.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest