Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 02, 2024, 11:27:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Get so far but then fall back (trying to leave BPDw)  (Read 382 times)
Zen80

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: January 28, 2015, 09:34:23 PM »

Hello BPD family,

I ventured to these boards years ago but haven't been back - I guess some of the stories were a bit confronting and perhaps I wasn't ready to make a decision then... .

The background is my kind-of diagnosed (she was sectioned after an episode about 9 years ago for 2 days but no followup treatment) but untreated wife with BPD has just been hell to live with over the past year and especially the past month. I know that I'm done with the relationship, that I/we can't keep living like this and during arguments I get so far to ending it but then always just pull back. We've been together for 13 years, married for 10 and have two kids aged 8 and 10. The kids have put up with far more than they should have.

Because we've been together so long I have built a very thick skin and resistance to all the rages and carrying on that goes with living with someone with BPD, however my wife has finally found a needling point/weakness that I can't rationalise around and is just pushing and pushing and pushing on it, tying all her current and future and future happiness on this one thing yet being incredibly unhelpful about it (most of the time). If I'm quite honest with myself I know that the love has gone a long time ago and I've been faking it for years trying to the right thing by the kids and focusing on what the relationship could be, rather than accepting the reality of what it is. But now I am seriously over it and just want out. However I can't seem to leave or even make a definative "it's over" statement without backing down later on under a barrage of tears and abuse. I made the mistake of being drawn into the "I love you but I'm not in love with you" statement 3 weeks ago and have regretted that ever since... .

The right thing to do is pack my bags and just go, instead of trying to explain or  work anything out, or be rational about it but the kids are a big factor for me, plus the fact our finances are managed by my wife and I don't really want to take my friends up on thier offers to stay with them as they have families of their own etc. So I'm just kind of stuck in a limbo land of trying keep up the facade but not really being able to any more. It's cruel of me to keep going like this but I just can't seem to say no, that's it, I'm out when it comes to the crunch. How do I do it?

Actually this is in the wrong thread - not sure how it happened but can a mod please move it?
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Rapt Reader
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: married

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 08:00:32 AM »

Hello, Zen80 &  Welcome

I'm so sorry to hear about the pain and trauma you have been going through, and I can certainly understand your qualms about leaving your wife, especially due to your feelings about your kids and the repercussions if you do leave... .It's not easy!

Have you had the chance to read all of the links to the right-hand side of this page? Although you are frustrated and ready to leave, there are things you can learn and do right this minute to help make things better in your marriage. The Lessons are a great start with this, and reading the Feature Articles (also found by clicking the links under the 4 photos at the top of the thread listings on this Board) can also help. Especially the Article Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?

Here is an excerpt, and I encourage you to read the whole Article (and the others linked to above):

According to Mark Dombeck, Ph.D., Director of Mental Help Net and former Assistant Professor of Psychology at Idaho State University, there is no single reason why a relationship begins to break down. However, once a relationship does start to break down, there is a predictable sequence of events that tends to occur. Highly regarded psychologist and researcher John Gottman, Ph.D. suggests that there are four stages to this sequence which he has labeled, "The Four Horsemen Of the Apocalypse".

Stage One The first stage of the breakdown process involves intractable conflict and complaints. All couples have conflicts from time to time, but some couples are able to resolve those conflicts successfully or 'agree to disagree', while others find that they are not. As we observed earlier, it is not the number or intensity of arguments that is problematic but rather whether or not resolution of those arguments is likely or possible. Couples that get into trouble find themselves in conflicts that they cannot resolve or compromise upon to both party's satisfaction. Such disagreements can be caused by any number of reasons, but might involve a clash of spousal values on core topics such as whether to have children, or how to handle money.

Frequently, couples assume that misunderstandings are at the root of their conflicts. "If my spouse really understood why I act as I do, he or she would agree with me and go along with what I want", is a commonly overheard refrain. Acting on this belief, spouses often try to resolve their conflicts by repeatedly stating and restating their respective rationals during disagreements. This strategy of repetition usually doesn't work because most of the time couple conflicts are not based on misunderstandings, but rather on real differences in values. When this is the case, stating and restating one's position is based on a mistaken premise and can only cause further upset.

Since you are still in the house, still interacting with your wife, and still wanting to do what you can for your children, learning what you can about this disorder--getting a better handle on understanding how your wife's mind works, and what you can do to stop the bleeding and make things better--reading what you can right now would be something positive. Please let us know what you think about that information, and tell us more about your situation so we can help. I'm very glad you found us, Zen80 

Zen80

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 06:20:55 PM »

I have done a fair bit of reading both recently and in the past and I think that I've certainly given it a good go over the past 10 years. i know that she had a damaged/abusive childhood and is struggling every day trying to feel normal. It's sad because she knows that there is something really wrong, she knows that i think there is something wrong but no-one is allowed to admit it. I'm just tired of being the emotional and literal punching bag. And I guess that I'm really angry about it as well - she has noticed that where in the past I'd be all concillatory and apologising for everything and taking all the blame on myself now (in the past few months) I've been more reactionary and trying to establish boundaries and put across my point of view and perspective.

Unfortunately this has only made me more aware of how unhappy I am and how poorly I've been treated and how I guess that it will never be a normal/regular life when I am solely responsible for all of my wife's feelings and am to blame for everything that is wrong with the relationship and her life. She has absolutely zero empathy for anyone else yet expects everyone in her life to be devoted to her feelings. Hence why she has few friends, is estranged from her sister and basically terrorises her mum (who is a victim of her ex-husbands/mywife's father abuse already).

I'm not proud of reacting negatively over the weekend and tried again to break it off but got nowhere. I lost my temper when being abused/assualted and called her a lunatic which was not a great idea since is already very sensitive to questions regarding her mental health. Now I am left with the literal scars of that attempt. I know that in arguments I need to back down and be more passive and empathetic but it's like I am ultra-defensive/protective now myself.

Anyway I didn't want to let out a big self pitying post or paint her black but I'm just feeling really down and over it all. The kids witnessed a lot of the ranting and raving and violence from her (and shouting matches between us) which makes me feel really bad as well. I tried to have a boundary about that but didn't exactly respect it myself when on the defensive.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest