Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 13, 2024, 02:35:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to not let them trigger you?  (Read 461 times)
FigureIt

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: January 06, 2014, 11:12:24 AM »

I usually go home at my lunchtime and my BPDbf is there too.  Today the weather is bad and I texted him that and it was snowing here for 3hrs and asked ":)o you want me to come home at lunch?"  He responded with "I know you do not want to come home and if the weather is bad you should not."

It irritates me that he had to say "I know you do not want to come home... . "  Today is his 1st day back to a job he hates after a week off and I know he's stressed.  Do you just ignore the statement? There was no reason to say that. 

My only understanding of why to say that is he is feeling frustrated at work and needs to lash out at someone and I just happen to be a perfect target.

Should I address what he said later or just drop it and move on?
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

elemental
aka "zencat"

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 11:17:25 AM »

I am fairly new at this, and I agree with you that the extra he said was him "blaming" at you.

My instinct, given what I learned here so far, is if you want to respond to him, I would not respond to his complaint, but say something like, ok, I will see you when I get home  after work. <3

Leave him to sit with his discomfort. He knows you will be home later.

Chosen

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 07:38:48 PM »

I won't respond to that because he is deliberately trying to trigger you.

Or, I may say "I do want to come home", not outright contradicting to his statement that you don't want to come, but telling him the "truth".  Depends on whether you think the issue is small enough to let go.  I probably would, unless my pwBPD is feeling good that day and I feel that me setting him straight won't get us into an argument.

Jox

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 12:24:10 AM »

Hi Ycul,

I think it is actually complicated. I think it is not provocation, he needs you there for lunch.  So if you do t come, in the evening another provocation may araise, and stronger one.

I would go for lunch, and ask forgivness for not understanding how stressful is his first day at work.

Best to both

Jox
shatra

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 12:15:04 PM »

Hi

You can validate "You feel I don't want to come home" .  It's hard for them to hear the "truth" until you validate their "untrue" feelings first.

Bye

Shatra
joshbjoshb

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 12:18:24 PM »

Honestly, I'd deal with this type of insecure text much better than the rage that comes with "you never want to be with me, you don't care, you are a selfish pig".

All he did was to express the fact that he is not secured. Don't blame him for that.

Someone told me that BPD are ones that when growing up were not allowed to feel anything. So not letting him feel insecure, because YOU are not secure, is wrong. It's okay for him to feel this way, but you have to learn how not to be affected personally and emotionally.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest