Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 01, 2024, 10:46:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
VIDEO: "What is parental alienation?" Parental alienation is when a parent allows a child to participate or hear them degrade the other parent. This is not uncommon in divorces and the children often adjust. In severe cases, however, it can be devastating to the child. This video provides a helpful overview.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It really DOES get better, it does  (Read 382 times)
Slowlybutsurely

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: February 03, 2013, 12:54:56 PM »

Hi Friends!

I've been marveling lately that it seems that it really and truly is honestly and genuinely getting better for me. And I almost can't believe it, and keep waiting to get sucked back into the grief and depression and soul-sucking awfulness that I experienced for over a year trying to get over the ex.

It's been a year and four months since I cut off all contact with her, and almost a year since I've bumped into her. What a difference this time has made!

I honestly thought I may never get over her. But it seems I have. It has become impossible for me to conjure sweet memories of her anymore, since all my memories of her are now interlaced with the knowledge that she was lying or manipulating on some level, which she surely was.

I am almost ready to start thinking of dating!

I've been reading so many sad stories on this board of people who have just gotten out, or who are white knuckling it. That was me for over a year. It was as bad as all of you are writing. The most difficult thing I've experienced emotionally by far. And my relationship only lasted a year.

So, if you just recently got out, or are contemplating it, or whatever, just know that it gets better, eventually. It might take about ten times longer than you think it should, but eventually it gets better. Lots of work on my part to get here, but I've kept strict NC, and for me that's been essential to get out of the FOG and see her clearly, which is not a pretty sight.

Hugs to all of you.    

Vinnie

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 02:53:26 PM »

Thanks Slowly, your encouragement helps!  

I'm definitely white knuckling it.  

I just read a recovery blog about how long it takes to recover from a breakup. Some therapists say that it takes a year for every 5 that you were together!

I'm hoping it won't take more than a couple... .  
Surnia
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: 8 y married, divorced since 2012-11-22

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 02:59:32 PM »

sbs,

Great to hear!  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

Sounds like you did a great job, with patience and work on your own.

Thank you so much for sharing. 

“Don’t shrink. Don’t puff up. Stand on your sacred ground.”  Brené Brown
benny2

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 03:23:57 PM »

Thanks for the insight. You are right, you have to stay NC and I'm just hoping that he will leave me alone because I'm not sure if I'm strong enough yet, but its only been 2 weeks NC, so theres still work to be done. Better days are ahead!
Changed4safety

Relationship status: Living together, three and a half years

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 04:11:03 PM »

Thank you for this reassurance.   
Clearmind
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 06:46:29 PM »

SBS   Doing the right thing (click to insert in post) It really does get better! I am pleased you feel good about you.

bb12

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 09:36:40 PM »

great post SBS

I have monitored your posts for ages - because of how similar your story (and timing) is to my own

And it really does get better doesn't it?

For me, if I allow myself to dwell for too long I can fall back down the rabbit hole and feel the pain as sharply as when the break-up happened

So I can stop myself now - from doing that. And I feel I have all these new techniques and coping methods that can help me to NOT tumble over that edge.

And then, a few months ago a kind of gratitude crept in - and I was glad this awful thing happened to me. Following that, my recovery sped up.

Oh, I can have strange days... .  but it really is two steps forward one back.

But after 12 months I can report being a long, long way from the shell-shocked victim I once was. I can see my stuff. And I can see the illness for what it is and not take it personally.

The growth that this stuff brings is revenge enough too. We don't need to wish our exes ill. Whether they ever become aware of their issues or not (probably not), they will not grow like we can and did. They won't know what to avoid when going into the next one. Theirs is a life of rinse, repeat. Ours is own of growth, and development, and choice.

And beyond a certain point, we get to choose to be happy

x

bb12
beachgirl009

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 11:03:32 PM »

I had to say I'm nine months out and it is tremendously better. NC has been essential for me. As much as my friends and family don't understand it, I am not angry at my ex and I do hold out hope that one day he will get it together and find some happiness (just won't be with me!).
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest