Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 02, 2024, 02:50:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: neuro feedback therapy  (Read 463 times)
jellibeans

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« on: May 23, 2013, 10:51:44 PM »

I just wanted to know if anyone has any experience with neuro feedback therapy. I think that is what it is called... . I have seen it mentioned a few times and I have started to investigate it and see what is available in my area.

I am interested in knowing how many times and how often you went for long etc? How did you get started? When did you start see results?
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
lbjnltx
Retired Staff

Relationship status: widowed

we can all evolve into someone beautiful

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 08:26:00 AM »

If I remember correctly, initially it was 30 sessions, a reassessment, and another 10 sessions.  It is recommended that the treatment is followed up annually by 10 sessions for maintenance.

The key to optimal success is a willing participant ... . of course!

BPDd-13 Residential Treatment - keep believing in miracles
Rapt Reader
Retired Staff

Relationship status: married

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 03:57:15 PM »

Hi, jellibeans     I am no expert, but my dBPDs36 has been doing Neurofeedback T since 4/18th. He started out about 3-4 times/week (some 2 hour sessions when testing was involved, and mostly 1 to 1.5 hour sessions depending on wake-state NF or deep-state NF), and now is going 4-5 times/week. The reason his T is so intensive (he also sees an Outpatient T once/week and a Psych once/month) is because of his many DXs: ADD/Clinical Depression/Social Anxiety/Hyperactive Thyroid, with past Substance Abuse & Suicidal Ideation issues. The BPD DX was just made last month, in early April. His NF T says that with all these DXs, along with SA issues, if he is able to go to NFT often and many days in a row, it will help keep him from obsessing about self-medicating. Since he is fascinated with this new T added to his recovery process, she is right. He has no interest in illegal drugs at this time (he's on prescribed medications for his DXs), and the routine of going to the NFT is like his job/social life right now  Smiling (click to insert in post)

My son had been in and out of 2 standard rehabs in the last 3 years, and each time his mental health issues that were already DXed (all had been, but BPD) were not addressed, and he relapsed back into self-medicating within 6-12 months. This past February he had a meltdown while his Dad and I were on vacation for 2 weeks, and he ended up in the psych ward of our local hospital for contemplating suicide. He was in the hospital the night we arrived back from vacation (!) and when they let him out the next day in my custody, the deal he made with the hospital, myself and his OP T was that he would agree to check himself into a Dual Diagnosis Program at a Regional Medical Center that I've been wanting him to go to for the last 17 years when his troubles began. That place was a life saver for him: 21 day Inpatient program with intensive Psychiatric and Psychological sessions--individual and group--every single day. They gave him the BPD DX, and then gave him a library of books to read that he devoured while there  Smiling (click to insert in post)

With his discharge papers, they gave him a list of books to get, which we did on the way home and he started reading them right in the car during the 3 hour trip home from Barnes & Noble. He's been reading the books ever since, non-stop. Also with the discharge papers was info for Families of pwBPD, including the webaddress to this site. Once here, I learned everything I needed to start communicating with him correctly so that we could move him on to beginning recovery (so that he didn't balk at my helpful suggestions   ). After reading lbjnltx's story about her daughter's RTC stay, and the mention she made about her daughter having NFT, I found a woman who is certified in my area to do it for my son. Luckily for us, she is only 15 minutes from our home (!), so his intensive sessions so many days per week is not a hardship.

I believe he is doing so well because of many things: He is low functioning BPD and realizes that he needs the help to live a good life, and the DX was not a burden for him but a Godsend because it filled in the blank for him as to why other treatments for his SA issues, etc. did not work. Right now he does not have job to go to, so he really does see his recovery as his job for the near future. He really hit his bottom in February, and things had spiraled so far out of his control that he was ready for recovery finally. He lives at home, and though my H and I aren't well off or anything, the NF T is local, and is giving us a discount for signing up for 22 sessions at a time. Right now, he completed his first block of 22 last week, and we paid for and continued with the starting of the 2nd 22 sessions.

My H & I are committed to his recovery as long as he is, and don't mind the financial outlay as long as we are seeing progress. And, there IS progress... . My son is now back to acting like the guy he was 17 long years ago, before his DXs and their fallout turned him into a stranger to us.  If this T can make it possible for him to work again and support himself and have happier life, it will all be worth it. And though I've been dreaming of that, I didn't dare to hope for it because of the possibility of disappointment. Now, the hope is there  Smiling (click to insert in post)

P.S. I'm sorry to have written a novel here... . I'm just so happy with my son's progress, and so thankful to this website for all the help it has given me, that I just need to share so much of this happiness  Smiling (click to insert in post)

lbjnltx
Retired Staff

Relationship status: widowed

we can all evolve into someone beautiful

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 05:03:52 PM »

Thank you Rapt reader,

Is your son's Nf T targeting the base area of the brain for addiction?

BPDd-13 Residential Treatment - keep believing in miracles
vivekananda

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 05:51:05 PM »

thanks for that info Rapt, I am looking forward to hearing more  Smiling (click to insert in post)

This has me fascinated,

Vivek    
Rapt Reader
Retired Staff

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 07:14:34 PM »

Thank you Rapt reader,

Is your son's Nf T targeting the base area of the brain for addiction?

Yes, lbjnltx... . she showed him (and me, I was there to see it) on the monitor how his brain was working, and pointed out the "valleys with the black rivers in them" that were the reason for his addiction problems. The other side of his brain (and on the monitor it was the left side where the "valleys" were; not sure if that was the mirror image of his brain or not) was mostly all little "mountains" and both sides are supposed to be that way for this particular view.

She is working on those "valleys" very intensely, along with areas related to his ADD, Depression, etc. He filled out a very extensive form regarding his symptoms and behaviors (and I know he was painfully honest filling it out, because he enlisted my help   ), and has now had a second test showing his progress, and what needs more work. VERY interesting  Smiling (click to insert in post)  Oh... . And I'd like to thank you for all the info you've contributed on this site that has helped my family get to this point; I never would've researched NFT without you  

thanks for that info Rapt, I am looking forward to hearing more  Smiling (click to insert in post)

This has me fascinated,

Vivek  

You are welcome, Vivek ... . It fascinates me, too  Smiling (click to insert in post)

And best of all, it fascinates my son  Smiling (click to insert in post)

And I appreciate all you contribute to this site, too; I've learned so much here from all of you!  

jellibeans

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 07:46:53 PM »

it is Rapt reader and LBJ posts that have me looking into this for my dd... . I just wanted to see if anyone else has had a good experience. Thank you both for your posts on this... .  
Rapt Reader
Retired Staff

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 08:16:52 PM »

it is Rapt reader and LBJ posts that have me looking into this for my dd... . I just wanted to see if anyone else has had a good experience. Thank you both for your posts on this... .  

You're welcome, jellibeans  Smiling (click to insert in post)

I, also, would love to hear from anyone else who has a Neurofeedback story... .   Smiling (click to insert in post)

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest