Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 02, 2024, 07:10:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help with boundary and silent treatment  (Read 659 times)
onelittleladybug

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: May 23, 2017, 11:50:52 AM »

My pwBPD has been subjecting me to silent treatments on a fairly frequent and regular basis. Last one lasted 8+ weeks! Its only been about 10 days since we started talking again and he is now ignoring me again. Reason: He got the wrong hamburger and says I took his. Seriously! I have a vivid imagination but I couldnt make this stuff up. This is 2 days of ignoring my texts which have been supportive, friendly, inviting but not apologetic. Ive really had it. I could just as well just not answer when he comes out of it again. I just dont think that is very fair and since we live next to each other its really important to keep things good and calm. In the past Ive been unsure how to deal with the ST as I know that it can sometimes be a reaction and not necessarily intentional. I have often handled his rages badly and have felt responsible in many ways for things that have come up. That said I decided a while back that my personal line/limit would be about his intentions. IOW if he intentionally ignores or abuses me in any way I am out the door either temporarily or for good. If he is clamming up and I know he is struggling emotionally with something I stick it out. This time its clearly manipulation and its time for me to draw a line.

Can anyone help me deal with this please. Should I communicate boundaries about this? Or is it ok to just not answer next time he reaches out? If I communicate that I wont put up with this anymore, how to I word it? I think I dont establish boundaries so much as set limits generally and want to do this right.

-- There is no love without forgiveness and no forgiveness without love--
--You create what you focus on--
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

livednlearned
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 01:59:33 PM »

Hi onelittleladybug,

I'm sorry you're going through this. ST is so difficult  It can feel like you are being erased, a terrible feeling for sure.

What about this episode makes you feel it is manipulation? My experience with ST is that it is for one of two reasons: 1) feelings are so intensely overwhelming that retreating to ST is preferable to expression of fear/sadness/anger. And 2) feeling so invalidated that he does to others what he is experiencing himself -- a crude coping mechanism.

I'm not sure communicating your boundary will make a difference if he is in a serious dysregulation. And it sounds like you are working through an ultimatum, which, being emotionally sensitive, is something he may be able to sense? Ultimatums don't tend to bring about the behaviors we hope for in these relationships, unfortunately.

On the other hand, if this is very painful for you at the moment and responding to texts makes it hard to regulate your own sadness, then perhaps this is a time to build up your own emotional strength. Use this time to take care of you, in other words. Put your needs first.

If you wish to communicate that, then perhaps let him know that you are taking a time out to take care of yourself right now. If you want to continue the relationship, then reassure him that you will be there for him in a few weeks if he wants to reach out and reconnect.

Thoughts?

Breathe.
onelittleladybug

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 02:38:22 PM »

Hi LivednLearned

Thanks so much for your response and your kind words.

I should maybe have given a little bit of background on what happened that lead to this reaction. I ranted a bit on my weekend here and if you want to skip forward the incident was on Sunday: https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=310121.0

ST is so difficult  It can feel like you are being erased, a terrible feeling for sure.

You know, in all honesty and I hope this doesnt make me a bad person, I dont feel like I am being erased. I am pretty sure I am constantly on his mind because he tells me all the time (when he isnt in ST). I dont feel much hurt either anymore, Im so worn out by this that I become apathetic on a regular basis. What I do feel is that Im like a ping pong ball. He frequently will demand I come over to his house (we live next to each other) RIGHT THIS SECOND. He has kicked me out of his house on the occasions where he raged at me and I answered back (I know answering back is bad, this is something that happened before I started learning about BPD and then once after which lead to a 8+ week NC). I feel like this is a tyrannical r/s where I have little or no saying in what happens next.

Excerpt
My experience with ST is that it is for one of two reasons: 1) feelings are so intensely overwhelming that retreating to ST is preferable to expression of fear/sadness/anger. And 2) feeling so invalidated that he does to others what he is experiencing himself -- a crude coping mechanism.

This is what I normally assume is going on with him. In this particular case there are two reasons why I think he is doing this intentionally to get a reaction out of me: 1) He has openly and upon his own initiative admitted to me that he sometimes will silent treat me to get a reaction out of me. He has told me he does it even though he knows its "bad". 2) When I got home last night I ran into him outside the house. I know this may be hard to believe, maybe even sound paranoid, but he hears very well and knows everything that happens outside the house so when he comes outside when Im there he is intentionally trying to run into me. He walked around the corner and stared me in the eyes. I greeted him warmly and happily and he was pretty cold. He did reply but not warmly. So that was some kind of message to me. My "crime" that in his mind warrants this punishment was that according to him I switched hamburgers Sunday night, ate his and left him with a hamburger he didnt like. After he stormed out of my house he threw the reject burger on another neighbors roof. Some random persons house that didnt do anything (he told me he did this but I dont know which house it was).

Excerpt
And it sounds like you are working through an ultimatum, which, being emotionally sensitive, is something he may be able to sense? Ultimatums don't tend to bring about the behaviors we hope for in these relationships, unfortunately.

Well I hope not. I have exactly once set an ultimatum for him, it was not about ST and it of course didnt go well. I am not a fan of ultimatums myself. The way I have dealt with his ST so far is simply to wait it out, let him come out of the corner he painted himself into, and be warm and welcoming when he does. I just feel like I cant do it anymore. I also feel like the approach I have been using cant be working.

Excerpt
If you want to continue the relationship, then reassure him that you will be there for him in a few weeks if he wants to reach out and reconnect.

Ive been ambivalent about this r/s the whole time. I know its not a good thing. I love him and I get very motivated to stay and work on it when I see him making an effort which is often. But when he is like this I do not feel like staying. I dont really know what to do.

Yellowbee

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 04:18:43 PM »

I do not have an answer but I am dealing with a similar situation. Right now I am so tired of his silent treatments that I have not been able to talk to him since he came out of it this last time.  Our longest was 6 weeks so your 8 weeks is amazing! I am quite fed up and annoyed with myself for not understanding all this years ago. I know this much now, knowledge is power. I also feel that if you do not feel like just going back to "normal" after he has come out of his silence, then don't. It won't change him but you can enjoy no criticism and no raging because he has no one to rage at.
Yellowbee
onelittleladybug

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 06:25:01 PM »

Hi Yellowbee
Im so sorry to hear that   I feel bad for feeling relieved that there is someone else going through the same things. The crazy thing is there was never any honeymoon period in my r/s, its been like this from day one which makes me seriously wonder why I keep going back to this. I know for sure if I didnt live right next to him I would have walked away and never looked back. Right now I am very fed up. When he is making an effort and changing (f.ex. he has stopped using bad language with me which is kind of amazing) and the rare moments when he lets himself be vulnerable rather than angry I never want to leave his side.

LivednLearned I thought about what you said and I think its not ultimatum that was in my mind but a type of JADEing which also makes it a bad call and to be avoided. ST sucks. I sometimes think I would rather be yelled at. But I dont want either.

smart_storm26

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 07:45:56 AM »

Hello,

I have just started reading 'Walking on Eggshells' and am new to this community as well. My wife has BPD and 'Walking on Eggshells' has been an eye opener for me.

However ST is something not just a Borderline can exhibit and sometimes even normal people exhibit this behavior for  many reasons, the details of which I will not go into.

However I can give you my 2 cents on what you can do in response to silent treatment. This is what I feel works whether the other person is BP or not

He is not talking to you for sometime (say 4 weeks) which is quite long for a relationship. You messaged him and he didn't respond.

STOP MESSAGING HIM. Say you have sent a message like 'How are you? Is everything all right... .blah blah' and your BP didnt respond even though he got the message. At this stage, stop messaging and do not ever feel guilty about it. Imagine I am your friend. You messaged me asking how I am and I did not reply you... .will you keep messaging? You will wait for me to respond.

And when your BP finally responds never ask 'Why did you respond so late'. React and talk to him casually as if it did not make a difference in your life. Remember you are a strong person who has many things to do in life and cannot postpone your plans waiting for a message. Go out with your friends, have a good time, do funny things... .better if your BP sees you doing it or comes to know about it. It will send the message to him that maintaining communication is responsibility of both, not just one person

Alayne

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 01:41:57 PM »

Silent treatment is the worst.  For my BPD, the only thing I've had consistently work is treating him exactly like normal.  I don't bring up the trigger or the ST or the tense mood.  I'll pop into his office and ask, for instance, if he's having trouble with the internet.  Usually some inane question like that snaps him out of it and he'll deescalate.  Then we can get to talking about what's going on.  If it doesn't work, I'll leave as though he answered the question and try again later.  If it's REALLY bad, he'll get so mad at me for not being sensitive to the thing triggering his ST (or, at least, that's what I think happens) that he'll start to rage at me again and I can work on deescalating from there.

I hope he's able to come out of it for you and get you some peace of mind.
onelittleladybug

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 03:14:33 PM »

Hi Smart_storm26

Thanks for your feedback.

STOP MESSAGING HIM. Say you have sent a message like 'How are you? Is everything all right... .blah blah' and your BP didnt respond even though he got the message. At this stage, stop messaging and do not ever feel guilty about it. Imagine I am your friend. You messaged me asking how I am and I did not reply you... .will you keep messaging? You will wait for me to respond.

And when your BP finally responds never ask 'Why did you respond so late'. React and talk to him casually as if it did not make a difference in your life. Remember you are a strong person who has many things to do in life and cannot postpone your plans waiting for a message. Go out with your friends, have a good time, do funny things... .better if your BP sees you doing it or comes to know about it. It will send the message to him that maintaining communication is responsibility of both, not just one person

Well you just described exactly what I have been doing. I send maybe 3 messages in the beginning of a ST, just to make sure. Then I stop completely. We live next to each other so he hears everything. I have dinner parties on my patio and he hears me laughing on my phone with friends every day (I like to be outside a lot and have always had these habits). I also go out every now and then but I love hanging out in my backyard most of all, with or without company.

Im not doing any of this to get a reaction out of him. Im just living my life. But this has not been motivating my pwBPD to come out of the silent treatments faster. They are getting increasingly longer. So I would say to anyone reading if they are considering a strategy to deal with ST, this too doesnt work unfortunately. At least not in my case.

Hi Alayne

Silent treatment is the worst.  For my BPD, the only thing I've had consistently work is treating him exactly like normal.  I don't bring up the trigger or the ST or the tense mood.  I'll pop into his office and ask, for instance, if he's having trouble with the internet.  Usually some inane question like that snaps him out of it and he'll deescalate.  Then we can get to talking about what's going on.  If it doesn't work, I'll leave as though he answered the question and try again later.  If it's REALLY bad, he'll get so mad at me for not being sensitive to the thing triggering his ST (or, at least, that's what I think happens) that he'll start to rage at me again and I can work on deescalating from there.

Its really great to hear someone else say this because this is exactly what I do with my Non-BPD (but potentially PD) mother who I have been in business with for 14 years and sometime lived with. If an issue turns into a bad argument she will give me ST. What you described is the only way we can get back to a normal and positive state. Just being casual, not mention the argument or incident. Just going with life. Once normalcy has been established again in my case because not BPD I try to talk about the issue in a more constructive way and come to a resolution. It usually falls on me to do this but she has been reaching out more which I very much appreciate. I also want to add that its not like she is the bad guy and Im the good guy, when we fight we are both responsible.

The challenging part in my r/s with pwBPD is that we dont live or work together, so I dont get the opportunities to approach him about mundane things. I wish I could find a way to do that.

Excerpt
I hope he's able to come out of it for you and get you some peace of mind.

Thanks me too. I also wish that for my pwBPD.

onelittleladybug

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2017, 02:23:17 PM »

I just wanted to give an update on this. He is out of ST as of 2 days ago and things are really good right now. Silence was broken by me, I went and knocked on his door. Was surprised to be welcomed. We talked a bit and its my understanding that he retreated because he didn't feel safe. He thought I was going to lash out at him after he did with me. I didn't, but he was already blocking me so he didn't know that. I think in the future Im not going to wait for him to come out of it, I am going to really focus and do my best to prevent or end conflict and do anything I can to not make things worse. I think in time the silent treatments will completely stop. He's been really great for the past couple days so Im taking it as a sign that he liked how I ended up handling this conflict. It is really two steps forward one step back for us but we are making progress.

Alayne

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2017, 06:44:38 PM »

YAY!    
tdugans

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2017, 09:17:35 PM »

My ex did this to the most bizarre levels.  BPD persons may not be fully cognizant of why they do what they do and they will make up false narratives in their minds that help them feel the victim while they justify their abusive treatment of you, but they also know when they are hurting someone.  They usually do not have the ability for empathy but have highly adaptive skills learned from their own dysfunctional upbringing.  And they are aware when they gain power over someone.  The silent treatment is abuse. The number one instinct in people is to connect.  The silent treatment is a very hostile act.  It can be helpful to understand how we get sucked into this dynamic.  To understand our-self and what unmet needs we have that set us up for this level of manipulation. Most BPD have some reasonably high level of narcissism.  I have gain a lot of understanding from reading about narcissistic abuse.   Here is a link to an article about silent treatment and what it triggers in persons suffering from the intense feelings in provokes.  And remember, BPD's are the masters of eliciting a feeling or response from others.  I am sorry your dealing with this in the present.  Sometimes when a fellow BPD victim is on the outside of their relationship it might seem condescending.  Its not meant that way by me.  I am barely out and understand like you would not believe how devastatingly painful and desperate that treatment made and still make me feel.  Keep reaching out.  Support equals sanity when one is pushed beyond their limits.   

https://letmereach.com/2014/10/27/the-silent-treatment-plays-on-your-fear-of-abandonment/

onelittleladybug

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2017, 09:42:24 AM »

Hi tdugans. Im sorry youre going through this. It must have been hard for you.

They usually do not have the ability for empathy

My pwBPD is actually one of the most empathetic people Ive ever met. As it goes for most people its harder for him to empathize when highly anxious or upset. Please keep in mind "they" are not all the same. Personally I believe that mental health is a spectrum, that most of us are somewhere in the middle and finally that "us vs them" mentality doesnt help. I also find it more helpful to try to understand how my pwBPD feels and not assume he is deliberately trying to hurt me but more likely reacting to a situation and how he perceives it and then reacts to it. This is the "improving relationship with borderline partner" board  Smiling (click to insert in post) I am choosing to stay in this relationship with my own free will and do not in any way perceive myself as a victim.

tdugans

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2017, 04:37:16 PM »

No need to shoot the messenger.  I did not suggest one stay or leave.  I suggested they read and understand more about what is going on when someone invokes the silent treatment.  Apparently, this is not the high level discussion board it claims to be in the No Run Message warning.  And I am confused as to what exactly I said that you are disagreeing with.  I did not say your guy was deliberately trying to hurt you.  It is a byproduct of his need to control something.  If your partner is empathetic then he has comprehension of how his actions hurt you but chooses to do it anyway.  That would be the definition of abuse.  To knowingly treat someone badly with the inherent purpose of changing their state of being.  Or is he not aware of it which is what I suggested.  Pick one before you fire back.  I never claimed all persons with BPD are the same.  But if you are going to use that label then there are criteria and consistent behavior patterns that can be addressed.  Personally, I feel as if the words personally and spectrum are cop outs.  I did not adopt a us vs. them mentality.  I clearly said that some of that behavior will elicit a response based on ones own needs, thus creating a co-dynamic.   One cannot truly understand how someone else feels unless they share it themselves.   I was suggesting you look at the mechanics of manipulation which whether your guy is a good guy or not was not judged.  But actions and behavior do matter.  My ex I believe is a beautiful and wonderful person.   That does not matter if her wounding allows her license to hurt others.  I am not sure how me suggesting you look into the narcissistic part of BPD behavior and the silent treatment violated the “improving relationship with borderline partner” board rules.  Smile face emoji.   I fail to see how suggesting someone looks at something from a different vantage point is a threat.     I assumed wrongly this was an actual high level discussion  board.  Stigma around words does not exist in high level discussion.  The word victim was used appropriate by me.  All it means is someone suffering from and adverse circumstance outside their control.  Choosing to allow it or not does not change that.  Clearly your partner is demonstrating unacceptable behavior that is causing you harm and pain.  You can call it what you will and assume there is another level of tolerance for you to reach.  Perhaps your right.  I just think, well me and the every available source that defines that word,  that it is abuse by the definition of that word.  Everyone in a long-term relationship suffers through something that is on the abusive scale at some point, because we are just all flawed humans trying to mesh and mash with others.  But when it is a pattern and you are the only one trying to end the pattern or take it on yourself to solve the riddle of what your partner is feeling, well then I though it might help to see it from many vantage points.  That’s what helped me.  I thought that is what message boards were for. The more one knows the more one can have “free will”.  When suggesting someone be open to that is some kind of bad thing, well that seems bizarre.  And very controlling.  Falsely accusing someone is pretty aggressive.  Ignore my post or advise if you like.  Because I would love to have someone explain in detail how I actually broke the boards rules.  I never suggested in any way to stay or leave.    Curious, did you even read the article. 
Here is the sort uninformed but solid answer I guess might have been better given  but equally not heard. 
Reach out two times in a normal casual way.  The third time reach out and include how their behavior of not responding is making you feel and make it clear it is your last attempt to reach out to them.  Done and Done.  Anything more and you are in a dynamic.  A dynamic I got aggressively  shot done for suggesting it exists. 
onelittleladybug

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2017, 05:54:44 PM »

Tdugan I sincerely apologize if my response in any way hurt your feelings. I did not mean to. I probably should have explained my point of view more thoroughly and differently.

I suggested they read and understand more about what is going on when someone invokes the silent treatment.

Did you read up on the differing points of view here on the board on silent treatment? Some of us are of the mindset that it can often come from a need to protect oneself or being shell shocked. Others feel like it is manipulation. In my experience it is not intentional (and therefore not manipulation). In my original post where I started this thread I made the statement that I thought my pwBPD was using ST as a way to manipulate me. LivednLearned stepped in to offer a different POV, and what they said about it is what I usually agree with and had previously experienced. My follow up on this thread is basically retracting my original statement (of manipulation).

Excerpt
Apparently, this is not the high level discussion board it claims to be in the No Run Message warning.

I just want to again say Im very sorry if my words were harsh. This is a forum with many different voices. Mine is just one. I do not represent this board, Im only a regular member like you. Please dont get frustrated with an entire community if my expressed opinion offended you. I will try to express my opinions more gently from hereon.

Excerpt
If your partner is empathetic then he has comprehension of how his actions hurt you but chooses to do it anyway.  That would be the definition of abuse.

A person can be highly empathetic at most times, but under extreme stress experience a diminished capacity for empathy. This is pretty common actually and applies to more than pwBPD.

Excerpt
To knowingly treat someone badly with the inherent purpose of changing their state of being.

That sounds very painful. This has not been the case with my pwBPD. Have you read up on BPD and comorbidity?

IMO using words like they/them, abuse, manipulation and victim doesnt help when trying to improve a r/s with a pwBPD. I see those words on the Detaching board and the Conflicted board and because Im here to improve I am personally avoiding those kinds of discussions. Im finding that the more I avoid that thinking the better my r/s gets. Im just sharing what is working for me and what isnt, in the hopes it can help someone.

Excerpt
My ex I believe is a beautiful and wonderful person.   That does not matter if her wounding allows her license to hurt others.

Nobody has a right to hurt another person. But you cant apply the same rules to a relatively healthy person mentally, to someone who is constantly operating out of fight/flight mode. You can try, but you will only get frustrated. I call it "rubber ducks dont swim". You cannot force a behavior out of someone who doesnt have the capability for it. A BPD can be taught to swim if they are open to it but until that happens youre only hitting your own head on a brick wall if you apply the same rules to them as the so called Non's.

Excerpt
The word victim was used appropriate by me.  All it means is someone suffering from and adverse circumstance outside their control.  Choosing to allow it or not does not change that.

Well first of all Im not allowing it, I am looking at how I am contributing to the situation (which Ive done plenty of) and doing my best to stop making things worse. Its from the tools. I am setting boundaries, struggling a bit with them but trying my best, I am being patient with myself but I am also making a huge effort to respond with empathy.

Sometimes when a fellow BPD victim is on the outside of their relationship it might seem condescending.  Its not meant that way by me.

The word victim can be helpful for you, thats fine by me. I think you should do whatever works best for you to heal. But you say "fellow victim" and I felt the need to declare that I cant see myself as a victim in any way. I am very aware that this is my choice. I can stay or I can leave.

Excerpt
Clearly your partner is demonstrating unacceptable behavior that is causing you harm and pain.

I have also caused him harm and pain. Im starting with fixing me and hoping he reciprocates. Long story short he is. He has completely stopped name calling and 2 days ago when his temper swelled, he walked out of the room, calmed down, came back and talked about his rage calmly. I was absolutely blown away by this new thing. Im reaping HUGE rewards since I started this approach, started learning the tools and applying them. I am choosing to focus on what is being gained and the progress we are making. Maybe his behavior comes from manipulation, maybe it is abusive. Im just saying its not helping me one bit by thinking about it that way. Instead I am focusing on what is working for us.

Excerpt
Because I would love to have someone explain in detail how I actually broke the boards rules.

Oh I didnt think you broke the board rules. I was saying this is the board where we are looking for solutions to improve the relationship. 

Excerpt
Here is the sort uninformed but solid answer I guess might have been better given  but equally not heard. 
Reach out two times in a normal casual way.  The third time reach out and include how their behavior of not responding is making you feel and make it clear it is your last attempt to reach out to them.

I tell my pwBPD every now and then that I dont like it when he doesnt reply. The thing is he is expecting harsh words from me because he has gotten them in the past. Sometimes he is afraid of checking messages from me. I know I am a part of this dynamic and that I have contributed to the problem. What is working for me is keeping contact with him and get on with our life together. That assures him Im not leaving (which is what he is afraid of).

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest