Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 17, 2024, 07:39:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books most popular with members
Stop Caretaking the
Borderline or the Narcassist
Stop Walking
on Eggshells
Journey from
Abandonment to Healing
The Search for Real Self
Unmasking Personality Disorders

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Custody: Don’t see us working together and based on her high conflict personality  (Read 257 times)
AlleyOop23

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married/living together

« on: February 04, 2024, 11:54:11 PM »

Unless my wife walks back her long said and often repeated threats to fight to ensure I am Disney dad if we divorce I don’t see us working together and based on her high conflict personality the advice I’ve gotten is to tell the kids myself. She will talk and explain to them, she won’t shut up and listen, she will talk over me and correct me. I wish I thought differently.
Skip
Site Director

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2024, 03:26:42 AM »

Unless my wife walks back her long said and often repeated threats to fight to ensure I am Disney dad if we divorce I don’t see us working together and based on her high conflict personality the advice I’ve gotten is to tell the kids myself. She will talk and explain to them, she won’t shut up and listen, she will talk over me and correct me. I wish I thought differently.

But isn't the question, what is best for your children?

Stepping away from your anger at your wife, what schedule is actually best for your children based on their age, personality, distance of the homes, etc.? And your work commitments?  

What is the % time they spend with your wife now? She is currently more than 50%. Right?

It's not a competition for all vs none or 50/50 vs Disney dad (80/20). It's about what fits. There is 60/40, 70/30 and variations in each of those that move the percentage upward (summer break schedules, etc.). Don't let the anger cloud or pollute your desire to do what is best for the kids as well as realistic for you.

Have you had a chance to look at at parenting time calendars?

I don’t see us working together and based on her high conflict personality the advice I’ve gotten is to tell the kids myself.

Read this one paragraph:

Excerpt
50/50 schedules work best when:

The parents live fairly close to each other, so exchanges are easier.
     Bullet: important point (click to insert in post) The parents are able to communicate with each other about the child without fighting.
    The child is able to handle switching between parents' homes.
    Both parents are committed to putting the child's best interest first.
    Bullet: important point (click to insert in post) The parents agree that the 50/50 schedule is the best one for their child.

When you say "I don’t see us working together" are you pretty much conceding 50/50%?

I don’t see us working together and based on her high conflict personality the advice I’ve gotten is to tell the kids myself.

This is a high conflict statement in and of itself. It says, I can't even try to be reasonable and it is her fault.

Stay focused on the outcome. Do not get caught up in the drama. Drama favors her.

And yes, she will likely ask for full custody... and 10 years alimony... and child support, but what does she have to back it up?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2024, 09:29:24 AM by Skip » Logged

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest