Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 01, 2024, 07:11:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yes  (Read 489 times)
rogerroger

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

Yes
« on: August 15, 2013, 10:17:28 PM »

It took over a year, but I am now divorced.

Here's the good news: I was awarded full custody of the kids. Ex continues to have only supervised visitation. The court didn't even increase the number of hours. She was also ordered to get counseling and to take parenting classes.

I don't think things would have turned out nearly as well if it hadn't been for this forum. It was here that I first got the advice to document as much as possible and to invest in a pocket audio recorder. At several crucial points during the process she claimed that it had been I, not she, who had issued threats of violence and arson. In both cases I had provided audio recordings of her making those threats. She had also tried to claim that I had not been compliant with the court's orders regarding visitation. Again, I had carefully documented her contact with the kids and my information was corroborated by her own parents.

On the day of the trial, I had expected her to kick up the most fuss over the custody/visitation issue. Instead, rather bizarrely I thought, she signed off on the custody recommendation without resistance and instead tried to argue that she was entitled to some of my family property that was clearly premarital. The only possible reason for her to do this was because she knew it was very important to me, so she was obviously trying to hit me where she believed it would hurt the most. I have to wonder whether she was so focused on trying to stick it to me that the truly substantive issues just didn't come into her view.

I'll end up paying more in legal fees that I had wanted, but given how well things worked out I consider it money well spent. Of course, I know without a doubt that there will be more expenses and more drama to come. If there is one thing I have learned well, it is that people with BPD are very good at creating difficulties where none should exist. But for now, at least, her toxic influence on the kids will be at least kept to a minimum.

Massive thanks to everyone here who has provided advice and support, and for those who are still in the fight, I'm in your corner.
atcrossroads

Relationship status: Married, 8 years

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 12:07:51 AM »

Congrats!  Yes, money well spent!   Smiling (click to insert in post)
catnap

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 10:15:21 AM »

I am so happy for your win in court! 

ForeverDad
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: separated 2005 then divorced

You can't reason with the Voice of Unreason...

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 10:48:25 AM »

Oh what a relief it is.

I don't think things would have turned out nearly as well if it hadn't been for this forum... .

Massive thanks to everyone here who has provided advice and support, and for those who are still in the fight, I'm in your corner.

Information/education and peer support are crucial in our cases.

... . and instead tried to argue that she was entitled to some of my family property that was clearly premarital. The only possible reason for her to do this was because she knew it was very important to me, so she was obviously trying to hit me where she believed it would hurt the most. I have to wonder whether she was so focused on trying to stick it to me that the truly substantive issues just didn't come into her view.

This too is encouraged, let the disordered person focus on what they perceive as important - such as causing us pain - while they let slip by the really important decisions.  "Allowing misdirection" I guess is the phrase, it may not sound fair but hey they weren't fair to us or the kids, were they?  Sadly, in high conflict divorces we can't afford to be overly-fair, overly-open or overly-whatever or else we would have been sabotaging ourselves and the kids.

livednlearned
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 05:55:31 PM »

So glad to hear this rogerroger -- congratulations to you and your kids.  

Do they know that you have full custody? I was awarded full custody, too, but kind of bungled how I handled it. S12's T said to let him know, but he really didn't care one way or the other, and the ruling doesn't really change much -- at least in terms of S12's daily life.

Anyway, hope this brings some closure to you. The legal bills are awful, but when things go in your favor, it's hard to argue that it wasn't money well spent.

Breathe.
GaGrl
Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 07:11:22 PM »

Outstanding!

"...what's past is prologue; what to come,
In yours and my discharge."
eeyore

Relationship status: in a relationship

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 08:24:00 PM »

congrats!
rogerroger

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 12:15:31 PM »

Do they know that you have full custody?

They are too young (6) to understand what that really means. What they do know is that they will live with me and will get to visit Mommy a few times a week. It's tough because they enjoy seeing her, but they also know something is not quite right with her. One of the factors was that the kids backed up my complaint that ex-w was making negative comments about me and my family. They know the things she says are not true, and I have talked to them about the fact that she sometimes says things that are not true, that they don't have to agree with her, and that they can trust their own feelings. I have explained that her behavior is the reason why she doesn't live with us anymore. I have a good therapist who has been helping me with assisting them through everything. But at least her ability to influence them has been minimized.

The biggest problem was that the supervisors weren't monitoring her closely enough to catch all of her negative comments about my side of the family. That problem has hopefully been taken care of, but if not, a change in supervisors will be necessary.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest