Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 01, 2024, 08:56:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How to communicate after a contentious divorce... Following a contentious divorce and custody battle, there are often high emotion and tensions between the parents. Research shows that constant and chronic conflict between the parents negatively impacts the children. The children sense their parents anxiety in their voice, their body language and their parents behavior. Here are some suggestions from Dean Stacer on how to avoid conflict.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: yes or no  (Read 463 times)
rarsweet

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: May 08, 2015, 07:10:45 PM »

I made daughter a dentist appointment for July, right before her 1st birthday. I emailed ex about it in February. He basically responded that I was trying to out parent him, manipulate him, I was abusive yada, I'm not allowed to make appointments, READ the order, etc. A month later I emailed him again about it no response. A few weeks ago I emailed him again about it, he said he already responded in February, that kids didn't need dentist appointments until they were 4, and that he would prove it at her next well child visit. Well he didn't ask the Dr( the Dr told us in January to make her an appointment) ( he doesn't remember that). I emailed him and said I needed clarification about whether he was saying yes or no to a dentist appointment. He responded with " if you could actually read you would know what I'm saying". We have joint custody. Do you think its right for me to keep this appointment for her. I have notified him numerous times so he can go. We have our final hearing a week after her appointment, I am afraid he will say I am making unilaterally decisions he doesn't agree to.
GaGrl
Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 07:38:46 PM »

Keep the appointment. Your ex can't even give you a straight answer. Do what is best for the child ,and let his nonsensical emails provide documentation of the difficulty you have in communicating with him over what should be a simple and obvious decision.

Just my opinion, but I would not have pursued agreement with him after the second attempt.

"...what's past is prologue; what to come,
In yours and my discharge."
rarsweet

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 07:56:54 PM »

It was February 25, march 30, April 22, April 30 I emailed him. And yes that's the thing, he just rants. I only said daughter needs a dentist appointment by her first birthday, Dr so and so is the only pediatric dentist in the area, he takes her insurance, I made her an appointment for such and such day. And he flipped. So I emailed just the recommendations from the american academy of pediatric dentistry, and he told me "stop reading the so called internet, they only say that when kids have insurance so they make more money",so I ask what is he saying, yes or no, so he says I can't read Laugh out loud (click to insert in post). Well all he did was rant not actually say anything.
Panda39

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex
Relationship status: SO and I have been together 9 years and have just moved in together this summer.

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 08:03:50 PM »

You did your job, you notified him X4 that is more than sufficient.  In the future once is quite enough, he can come or not the choice is up to him.

Just an FYI my SO's uBPDxw liked to cancel appointments that he made... .so as it gets close be sure to confirm the appointment with the dentist's office.

"Have you ever looked fear in the face and just said, I just don't care" -Pink
Godslove

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 08:24:44 PM »

Keep it. I just read this from the article above.

Often parents are confused about the definition of joint legal custody. They interpret it to mean that every little decision about the children must be discussed with the other parent before taking action. For example, they think that they must get permission from the other parent

before taking the child to the doctor, or perhaps even to make the doctor’s appointment. Team Works provides a definition for legal custody to its readers, “The parents shall share Joint Legal Custody of their child(ren). This means that each parent shall have the

duty to consult with the other on the major decisions  affecting the lives of their child(ren) regardless of

which parent has physical custody. ... .Both parents shall inform the other parent of

any major decisions for the children that relate to health, education or welfare of the children. One parent does not have to get approval from the other parent every time they take the children to the doctor. Sending a note after the doctor’s appointment is usually

appropriate.
Invite the other parent to take the child to the doctor, or arranging for the parents to take children

on alternate visits. This can all be agreed upon in advance.

livednlearned
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2015, 05:37:38 PM »

Do you need to have his permission to make D a dentist appointment? My L told me to do what was best for S13, and notify N/BPDx. This included time when we had joint legal custody. In most states, joint legal applies to major medical, therapeutic, and education decisions. Well-child check and dentist appointments are routine, they don't require joint decisions.

Courts care about the kids, not the bickering parents. If your ex stood up in court and said that you made a dentist appointment without his consent, the judge would recognize him as a problem parent.

Most normal parents want their kids to get what they need, they don't obstruct every little thing for the sake of conflict.

Breathe.
ForeverDad
Retired Staff

Relationship status: separated 2005 then divorced

You can't reason with the Voice of Unreason...

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2015, 11:18:13 PM »

No dental visits until age 4? No way!  My son needed dental work about 16 months of age.  Wait to age 4 is hogwash.

The others have given informed advice.  In some cases if the order is inadequate "it is easier to ask forgiveness than to get permission".  In something like this you listen to the professionals (doctor, dentist, etc) rather than the extreme demands of the ex.

ugghh

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2015, 11:41:07 PM »

You will eventually learn to stop asking his permission.  As always make sure you use email to document everything.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest