Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 02, 2024, 02:22:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Before you can make things better, you have to stop making them worse... Have you considered that being critical, judgmental, or invalidating toward the other parent, no matter what she or he just did will only make matters worse? Someone has to be do something. This means finding the motivation to stop making things worse, learning how to interrupt your own negative responses, body language, facial expressions, voice tone, and learning how to inhibit your urges to do things that you later realize are contributing to the tensions.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: You can't get blood from a turnip  (Read 551 times)
Ysabel

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: December 31, 2016, 08:41:11 AM »

My Irish grandfather had a lot of saying, but this one keeps coming up in relation to my hwBPD: "You can't get blood from a turnip".
In other words, he can't give what he doesn't have.
He can't give me empathy, validation and kindness, on a consistent, on going basis. He can give those vital trust building experiences occasionally, but not enough to sustain a healthy marriage.
When I am in a place of acceptance this revelation brings me much peace. The same revelation, when I am in a place of anguish, just makes me furious and I am unwilling to believe his negligence and withholding isn't intentional!
ortac77

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Relationship status: Living together

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 02:09:31 PM »

Like the saying :-)

I think its impossible for a BPD sufferer, and its hard because it is natural to expect those from a loved one. I still have the expectation but am slowly learning that I cant get 'bread from the hardware store'

Its all down to acceptance as you say, when I am accepting I know that if I want validation, empathy that I have to look to friends who understand. But I cant maintain acceptance 24/7 and then I am resentful that I am not getting what I believe I should from a relationship.

New Years Eve, he is ignoring me so will see the New Year on my own, same as my birthday the other day -feel kind of sad but also kind of determined. New Year - I need to do more to take care of my needs, and start to get out more and spend more time with people who care and make me smile because this holiday season I have realised how living with this illness has changed me into a withdrawn and isolated person. This needs change before I lose myself completely.

Happy New Year

Ysabel

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 08:32:45 AM »

My Irish grandfather also used to say " you can catch more flies with honey than you can vinagar". That saying is absolutely lost on my hwBPD. Jen does not get the connection between his treatment of other people and his poor quality of life. In the end, it's really starting to feel like I married a 7 year old little boy who can't figure out why his "mommy" is forcing him to be her husband.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest