Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 13, 2024, 11:39:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things we can't ignore
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Why We Struggle in Our Relationships
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Codependency and Codependent Relationships
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Accused (again) of being selfish  (Read 965 times)
kells76
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2022, 10:27:19 AM »

Excerpt
e: “Are you hungry?”
She shrugs or says “yeah”
Me: “what would you like to eat?” 
She completely ghosts the question…
Me: (after 3-4 full minutes of silence) “Do you have anything in mind to eat?”
J: “Stop hounding me!  I said I don’t know!”
Me: “I didn’t hear you respond with anything at all”
J: “Clean out your ears dipsh1t!  I said I don’t know 8 times and now you’re digging and digging!”

I pause the conversation…

5 minutes later

J: I was thinking of XYZ restaurant
(I don’t ever posit my desires on a restaurant choice- it’s not a battle I care about winning and I’m happy eating anything she chooses)
Me:  That sounds really good! 
J:  Their website says they won’t take online orders
Me: Does Uber/DoorDash/Grubhub show them as available online?
J: Forget it!  They won’t let me order the dish I like thru DoorDash.
Me:  Let me call them and place the order and then I’ll go pick it up
J: Just forget it!  You don’t know when to stop- do you!  No means no!  It’s always all about you! You’re a narcissist! I told you I don’t want to order from them now and you just DO WHAT YOU WANT! It’s always what you want!    You’re selfish and can’t just leave things alone!  This is what narcissists do!  They only think about themselves!

(She storms off and locks herself in the bedroom)

I’m still hungry and personally want the restaurant she chose. 

Me:  I’m still hungry.
J: Do whatever you want and leave me alone!

I call the restaurant and ask if they will take orders over the phone- they do.   I hang up after telling them I might call back.

I go to the door and knock gently- advising her gently that they will take the orders on the phone.

Silence.

She starts a texting rant 20-30 texts long about how I never listen and only do what I want to do- and I don’t care about anyone else. 

I tell her that I am going to order for myself and if she wants to order I will include it. 

Silence

I explain that I will wait 10 minutes so she can decide what she wants and if she doesn’t want anything and I dont order for her, then she can eat something in the house but I won’t go out more than once. 

She opens the door violently and screams at me to leave her alone.

I wait 10 minutes and ask if she wants me to wait longer.

Silence

I wait another 5 minutes, call and place my order.   I also add things she likes to the order- mostly because I don’t want her to go hungry and I am not going to “skip to the loo” on her request to go somewhere else after I get home.

I leave and pick it up- she texts me 20-30 texts of angry rant about how I don’t leave things alone and how I’m a narcissist, a chauvinist who orders on her behalf despite her not wanting any of it, etc.   Goes on and on about how I’m all sweet on the phone but abusive and dismissive of her needs off the phone and how that’s how narcissists and abusers act…

Long quote pull, I know.

Boogie74, I've been thinking about your interaction a bit. I've also been thinking about your comment (paraphrased) that it isn't healthy for you to completely shut down just to "make things work". That's fair.

Here is an analogy:

Imagine a person with a unique visual impairment. They are effectively blind when the light is on, but after a while, after lights go off/sun goes down, they can get around and see OK enough in the dark. But, there is a settling period after the light gets turned off, where it takes them a bit to go back to their functional vision baseline. It's not like "OK just turned the light off, now I can see fine again". It takes more like 30 minutes, an hour, two hours, something like that. Of course, while we can all relate to this at some level, for people with "generally normal" vision, we get back to night vision/baseline/ability to see within seconds to minutes. This visually impaired person takes orders of magnitude longer.

So the visually impaired person (VIP?  Smiling (click to insert in post) ) is in a room with the light off, doing their thing pretty OK. I go in and turn on the light because I need to find something. I also ask them, Hey, can you help me find this thing? They are a little frustrated because now it's going to take time to get back to baseline, but sure, they will help look as best they can, when they can see again. I can't find the thing and I turn the light off and leave and look elsewhere, but the VIP knows where this thing is, and it's probably in the room, and I need it within a given time frame -- soon.

I go back in 10 minutes later, turn the light on, look again, and ask them to help. Frustration grows -- they were barely getting back to baseline, and now the whole process has to repeat. AND, I'm asking them to engage in the search again? I leave, also getting frustrated that they KNOW what the thing looks like, they're in the room with it, it's in there somewhere, and they're not helping. I leave and turn the light off.

I return 15 minutes later and-- "VIP, we HAVE to find this, and it's not anywhere else in the house, so it has to be in here. Haven't you been looking?"

That's when things blow up. VIP has not been able to return to baseline, even though a "normal" person would probably have been able to in that time frame.

My repeated attempts to engage with the VIP have hampered their ability to return to a functional level, again, even though many people would have been able to return to a functional baseline in that time.

The more I go back in and turn the light on (engage in a "normal" way), the more I contribute to the impaired person's inability to baseline.

That being said, it is not acceptable for me to live in a house without ever turning the lights on. My needs are not less important than the VIP's needs. I cannot live in the dark all the time; that's going too far in the other direction. We need to find a balance of how often to turn the lights on, and how long to leave them off before turning them on again.

Can we "get more done" with ONE or maybe TWO instances of turning the light on, with a longer break in between, versus multiple (I think I read nine) "engaging by turning the light on" interactions?

Can we do more of a specific (yes, perhaps longer) statement in ONE go, then "leave the light off"?

I wonder if you'd also like to spend less time in your life checking in with your partner, and more time doing more, uh, enjoyable things. Honestly, you guys may have some common ground there. Neither of you seems to enjoy this checking in process.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Couscous

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Sibling
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2022, 06:46:55 PM »

Hi Boogie,

I came across an article today that reminded me of your situation, although in your case I don't think your ordering the food was an act of selfishness, (sounds like you were damned if you did and damned if you didn't) but that is the spin that she has put on your daring to not comply with her "wishes" (aka orders) and so she feels betrayed.

The Nice-Guy/Borderline Connection   
The woman with traits of BPD has a problem. She has an overriding fear of relationship betrayal. Most people imagine that this kind of fear centers around the more obvious forms of betrayal such as infidelity or relationship abandonment. What they tend to overlook is the fact that betrayal happens on a much more subtle level every day in all of our relationships.

Humans are naturally a little bit selfish, and we fade in and out of this slightly narcissistic mode as we go through life. Because of this tendency, our relationships pose a difficult challenge for us. When we enter a relationship, we are expected to be able to give up our self-centered ways and treat our partner’s interests as equally important as our own. When we don’t, our relationship partners experience our selfish actions as a mild form of betrayal of our relationship agreement.

These minor betrayals over agreements to make each other feel safe in the relationship and to keep things fair for both people are at the heart of most of our everyday arguments. Minor betrayals are by no means deal-breakers, but they can definitely ruffle our feathers and hurt our feelings. But people with traits of BPD experience the minor betrayals in the same way we experience the major ones.

www.nicolamethodforhighconflict.com/women-traits-bpd-men-stay/
Husband2014

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2022, 07:47:05 PM »

This example about dinner has happened to me 100000 times until I finally learned that my wife just doesn’t know what she wants and trying to make a decision as simple as what she wants to eat causes a huge amount of anxiety.  What I do now and it works a lot better is the following:

ME: you hungry
Wife: no answer or yes
ME: I’m going to get X and will get you Y. Getting it on Uber eats now
Wife: ok or no I’m good or get me this instead

I feel like people with BPD are so helpless in their own mind and they want people to help them all the time so when she’s dysregulared I just pick for her and that works 90% of the time without much fireworks.

In the book “stop walking on eggshells” they give the example of how people with BPD sometimes can’t even decide if they want vanilla or chocolate ice cream and that hit home for me
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest