Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 02, 2024, 10:55:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: silent treatment  (Read 375 times)
Steve4444

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: October 08, 2013, 07:32:42 AM »

I am getting the silent treatment.  My BPD spouse is crazy mad about something.  I ask what is wrong and she says "nothing".  This has happened before.  What do I do?  Keep my mouth shut and ignore this insane behavior?  Do I push this issue to find out what is wrong?  This has happened before, and when I push her to tell me what is on her mind, all hell breaks loose.  I am not doing a great job of dealing with "typical" borderline behavior.  This is not an isolated incident.  Thank you.
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Seppe

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 09:25:27 AM »

I doubt much of anything will get resolved while she is in the middle of being upset, so I don't see the benefit of pushing her at the moment.

I have learned to enjoy the silent treatment; a few minutes to do what I want.

I think you will find that when she realizes her silent treatment is not affecting you, she will tell you very quickly what is on her mind. 

Grey Kitty

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 08:09:06 PM »

For starters, we do have a workshop on it in the lessons here:

BPD BEHAVIORS: Silent treatment - verbal abuse.

In answer to what can you do? Not as much as you would like--you cannot make her talk to you or acknowledge you.

Your best bet is to find something that you will enjoy without her... .and do it.

The other useful thing I do is occasionally offer a kind greeting or offer of something nice, perhaps a cup of tea or something. In an open and friendly but not pushy or demanding way. Although only when I'm feeling grounded and content.

The reason I do this is that the silent treatment can be one of three things regarding you... .and it can be hard to tell them apart:

1. Punishment for something that she feels you deserve to be punished for.

2. Her recognition that she is in such a horrible mood that she would only hurt you if she did interact with you, and an effort to spare you of that.

3. Reason #1 or #2 is gone now, but she's still not talking out of inertia or embarrassment at what she was doing.

Reaching out won't do much damage in state #1 or #2, but probably won't do much good. However if she has made it into state #3, a friendly touch is a wonderful opportunity for her to return.

How long has it been this time?

GK
waverider
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 09:09:43 PM »

Acknowledge that you have noticed she seems upset about something, and that you are willing to talk about it if, and when, she wants to. Then just get on with something else.

It can be a form of shutting down/acting in, or just another form of emotional abuse. Acknowledging validates the former and getting on with your own stuff is disengaging from abuse. Then you have done your bit now it is up to her, you are not a mind reader and any attempt to be one will back fire.

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
123Phoebe
Staying and Undecided

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 05:10:03 AM »

Acknowledge that you have noticed she seems upset about something, and that you are willing to talk about it if, and when, she wants to. Then just get on with something else.

It can be a form of shutting down/acting in, or just another form of emotional abuse. Acknowledging validates the former and getting on with your own stuff is disengaging from abuse. Then you have done your bit now it is up to her, you are not a mind reader and any attempt to be one will back fire.

Something along this line happened just yesterday.

My pwBPD was clearly in a low mood.  The 'old me' would have taken it very personally, fearful that whatever was going on was either about me or would be made to be about me, hence ruining our time together-- I would be making it about me which would have backfired in a big way.

I simply asked if everything was alright (with him)?  Found out that an old college friend had died and he was feeling pretty bummed about it.  Talked about it some, shared a few memories, then continued on with our projects, a little quieter than usual; all was fine 'between us'.

waverider
Retired Staff

Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 06:12:33 AM »

This is true, it is not always about us, but we are quick to assume it is, stick our nose in, then suddenly they see an avenue for projection (and soothing) and it then becomes about us. We react... game on... transfusion of emotion

Lack of consistency means a deep emotion can be transferred onto anyone, about anything at anytime. Its not about the subject matter, it is about the feeling. Hence once dysregulation kicks in the topic swings everywhere until they find a weakness.

Of course not noticing they have an issue, is almost showing you don't care, they are not important> abandoment etc Another reason it becomes your fault.

So acknowledge, then give space. It will make you feel better if nothing else.

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest