Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 02, 2024, 04:51:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Silent like a child in trouble when confronted  (Read 411 times)
Mrb87

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: December 13, 2017, 07:27:49 AM »

Every time there is a need to communicate about serious issues in the relationship, for example when he is caught cheating lying or trying to cheat or any type of problem but mainly those. He becomes very silent, dodges the the conversation, or gives out compliments to distract. I'm very very open to communicating when there is any problem and i looks for ways to solve obstacles. Recently I have given up those method which caught him off guard one night when I said to him when there was a issue " I really don't care anymore. Does it even matter. And I'm done caring I'm gonna leave because I don't care about fixing things anymore which are so simple." He replied with he does care and would like to talk about it which I knew was a lie because he saw I didn't feel like pushing the issue and he knew he could get away safely with this one. He even gets in trouble at work with this type of behavior. He's had complains at his job about this shutting down when he is spoken to about a issue, hiding problems, and creating a snowball effect that messes up everyone in the long run.and has been fired from many jobs because of it. He runs from his family when there is any problem, like actually runs away and he would be the cause of the problem. How to get someone to communicate with you when it is already a safe comfortable non attacking environment but they just won't talk?

PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

pearlsw

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

"Be kind whenever possible, it is always possible"

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 05:57:54 PM »

Hi Mrb87,

I would highly recommend the book "Stop Walking on Eggshells". It can give you good insights and concrete examples of better ways to communicate with someone with BPD.

If you can only afford the resources here there are also many great ones! Be sure you read the Lessons to the right side of the page here on "Tools: communication, validation, and reinforcement of good behavior" for example, but there are many, many more.

It takes time, but gradually learning to use the communication tools can make a big difference! I do not have BPD, but I notice I don't speak up sometimes because I don't feel listened to or understood - (sometimes) it would take someone with a little persistence to get me to speak up about how I feel. Do you know any reasons your partner might have for not speaking up so much?

wishing you well, pearlsw.

Walk on a rainbow trail, walk on a trail of song, and all about you will be beauty. There is a way out of every dark mist, over a rainbow trail. - Navajo Song
Mrb87

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 10:02:15 AM »

Thank you! I just purchased the book and i did it through my phone so i have it with me at all times.

pearlsw

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

"Be kind whenever possible, it is always possible"

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 10:04:57 AM »

Great - that's super! I've been slowly reading and absorbing it myself lately! As you start let us know what strikes you as especially helpful! Smiling (click to insert in post)

Are you checking out the workshops here too: https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?board=36.0

There are a lot of great resources on this site - and folks to talk it over with and get support from! Please keep posting and sharing - it helps all of us! Smiling (click to insert in post)

Walk on a rainbow trail, walk on a trail of song, and all about you will be beauty. There is a way out of every dark mist, over a rainbow trail. - Navajo Song
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest