Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 06, 2024, 04:29:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How to communicate after a contentious divorce... Following a contentious divorce and custody battle, there are often high emotion and tensions between the parents. Research shows that constant and chronic conflict between the parents negatively impacts the children. The children sense their parents anxiety in their voice, their body language and their parents behavior. Here are some suggestions from Dean Stacer on how to avoid conflict.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: medical scare  (Read 382 times)
forgive2day

« on: February 16, 2012, 03:27:43 PM »

I haven't posted anything in a while, and i'm hoping to get some guidance.   Just when I thought things couldn't get worse, they up and did.  My wife has an ovarian cyst and will have surgery next Tuesday.  She has an appointment today and she did not want me to come.  She keeps telling me that this is "not about me" and I should give her space.   I told her that I just want to be there for her and she proceeded to scream and yell at me as I demanded that I wanted to be there.  She continued to refuse my support.  Given how upset she was, i told her i would not come.  My intent was to support her, not make a delicate situation more difficult.   Long story short, she sent me the details for the appointment and I'm here sitting in the waiting room. Has anyone faced a medical crisis with your BPD spouse?  I'm in a really bad place with this right now.
Clearmind
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 04:02:27 PM »

Bigtime, are you wanting to improve your relationship? What's the status?

Althea

Relationship status: married 7 years

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 04:06:34 PM »

Ovarian cysts are VERY common and no biggie.  Ovarian cancer is another story.  You will need her to specify.
Phaedrus

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 05:23:51 PM »

I haven't posted anything in a while, and i'm hoping to get some guidance.   Just when I thought things couldn't get worse, they up and did.  My wife has an ovarian cyst and will have surgery next Tuesday.  She has an appointment today and she did not want me to come.  She keeps telling me that this is "not about me" and I should give her space.   I told her that I just want to be there for her and she proceeded to scream and yell at me as I demanded that I wanted to be there.  She continued to refuse my support.  Given how upset she was, i told her i would not come.  My intent was to support her, not make a delicate situation more difficult.   Long story short, she sent me the details for the appointment and I'm here sitting in the waiting room. Has anyone faced a medical crisis with your BPD spouse?  I'm in a really bad place with this right now.

That kind of thing happened with mine. I usually found out later she was exaggerating the seriousness of the illness or blatantly lying about it. For instance, she once claimed she had been diagnosed with Lupus but didn't want me to come to the appointments which was odd because normally she expected me to go everywhere with her. Well guess what? She didn't have Lupus.

Last week she tried to get the kids to come over to her house because it was her birthday but they didn't want to go because it was a school night and they were tired.  We've never expected the kids to come to our homes on our birthdays. We always just celebrate a different day if needed. So the next day to guilt them she told them she had been really sick and was vomiting blood the night before. 

Her mother had a heart stent inserted a couple years ago and she made it out to the kids like their grandmother could die any moment even though that's now a pretty routine procedure.

She probably didn't want you there because you'd find out from the staff that it wasn't such a big deal.
Confuzzled12

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 06:59:40 PM »

I wouldn't be game to make a call on what's happening in your situation, but my exwBPD faked a cancer scare that had me in tears for days. Looking back now the whole thing didn't seem right. Her parents weren't at all concerned about it which didn't make sense. They didn't call her or check how her appointments went, or anything else.

I think I was the only one that got the whole cancer story. I made appointments for her and went to them. She kept putting off having the scans and tests done.

Turns out it was absolutely nothing - and certainly not cancer.

Relief at the time. Now I feel sick at having fallen for it.
Phaedrus

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 08:36:58 PM »

That reminds me, last year she had the kids worried that she had skin cancer. She didn't.

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 10:05:52 PM »

Excerpt
I demanded that I wanted to be there.  She continued to refuse my support.  Given how upset she was, i told her i would not come. Long story short, she sent me the details for the appointment and I'm here sitting in the waiting room.

Borderline personality disorder is the failure to separate/individuate from their primary attachment. Successive attachments recreate that failure in adulthood. The attachment bond for a Borderline is fusional and symbiotic and the struggles continue with the failure to separate/individuate from their partner, who is now the stand-in for the primary attachment- and whom the Borderline thinks is trying to control them as a parent/child dynamic.

Since this is an on-going struggle and due to the fusional nature of the bond, both parties suffer anxiety over control.  Generally Borderlines attract people with ideas of reference about what the Borderline should or shouldn't do. This only adds to the powerlessness of the disorder.

Due to the "demands" from the partner, Borderlines struggle with free will. "I demanded that I wanted to be there" can create as much anxiety as the fear of the medical procedure. You can see where the argument about control would cause a dysregulation concerning the demand (or surmised attempt at control by the partner) which would then cause a struggle between who is in charge. When you demanded of her to be involved in her personal healthcare- this merely ignites engulfment.

Excerpt
She keeps telling me that this is "not about me" and I should give her space.

She's right. The reason that you are now sitting in the waiting room is because she's given in to her abandonment fear that if she doesn't allow you your demand, that you will leave her.

BPD is a complex thought process that involves persecution.  In order to stop this cycle, allow a Borderline the ability to make their own decisions. All you have to say is: "if there is anything I can do, please let me know." The Borderline can then approach you to ask for your help.  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest