Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 22, 2024, 12:37:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just figured out hubby is BPD and cant quit crying  (Read 357 times)
Ruthie61
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: October 23, 2015, 07:22:10 PM »

My husband quit drinking over a year ago. I thought that was it. Well this raging started and trying to control what I said to people, never knowing what I was doing or my son to set off this anger,  constant being busy, buying stuff but now-  blaming everything on me.

I remembered his psych saying something about volcanic eruptions and BPD. Bought several books but was afraid to let him see me reading them. After this last rage, he went out of town, I read them. I am so depressed. It is my life. I feel so hopeless. He is so mean. I askec him to go back to psych and that did not go well

Now he is telling everyone I need inpatient treatment.   I want out.  I have a 16 year old that is not his kid and he is pulling him in
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

ForeverDad
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: separated 2005 then divorced

You can't reason with the Voice of Unreason...

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 09:21:04 PM »

Your husband is an adult, just as you are.  He can go to therapy, or not.  There's little you can do to force him to go.  However all is not lost.  Here you will find invaluable peer support, a variety of suggestions, strategies and skill sets that may very well improve your relationship to a greater or lesser extent.  You'll have to agree that educating yourself about these ongoing issues and improving a variety of skills can only help.

As I wrote above, you too are an adult, you too can make choices to improve your life.  Exactly what will those will be remain to be seen, they're up to you.  Surely as you learn more, get peer support and see ways to improve your boundaries, life won't feel as distressing as it does now.

Him telling everyone you need inpatient treatment is typical blame-shifting, trying to take the focus off himself and framing you as his scapegoat.  It's also called projecting.  Not fair, not right, and hopefully those people who really know you won't be conned or fazed by his badmouthing and distortions.  I recall when my now-ex and I separated that she started making all sorts of horrible allegations and I see now she was trying to make me look worse than her.  It worked to a limited extent at first but long term she lost credibility with those who counted in my life.

Also, unless he has adopted your son, he has no legal rights as parent to your son. Legally.  Doesn't mean he can't influence him negatively.

Excerpt
I want out.

Well, you posted on the Staying board.  We have other boards too and you're welcome to post on whichever ones are best for your questions and goals.  Here on Staying there are many communication and coping skills described and taught.  Take advantage of them.  Doesn't mean you have to Stay permanently.  If you wish you can view it as "Staying For Now". We also have "Leaving" as well as "Family Law", among others.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest