Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 02, 2024, 10:35:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I admit it  (Read 407 times)
Mara2

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: March 30, 2013, 10:30:46 AM »

I read a quote here in the Think About It at the top of the page that made me think about it.  It said that people select partners who have the same level of emotional maturity they do. 

This hit home because after years of putting up with his behavior I tend to think that he is the problem and I have little problems, but not like that!  After all, I don't throw things, break things, hit things, or yell at people. 

So I had to think back and admit that yes, we were at the same level of emotional maturity when we met and married.  Yes, I was very co-dependant and needy.  No, I cannot blame everything on him, after all I did enable a lot of his behaviors. 

I never wanted to admit that before.
laelle

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 11:32:59 AM »

Its funny you said that Mara, I just read that same quote this morning, and I thought "oh my, its right."  I have heard tho that women mature faster, so im sure I have a few emotional years on him.   Smiling (click to insert in post) 
marbleloser

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 03:00:21 PM »

We all enabled to some extent. One of the best things I read on these forums was this.

"We teach people how they should treat us."
P.F.Change
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Bisexual
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 04:30:04 PM »

Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

Now you know, and knowing is half the battle.  Smiling (click to insert in post)

What do you want to do with this newfound insight?

Wishing you peace,

PF

“If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading.”--Lao Tzu
Mara2

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 11:20:09 PM »

"We teach people how they should treat us."

I'm going to start here.  I told his T I would be willing to come to some of his sessions if I don't have to go home with him afterward.  I will be setting new boundries and if he is willing to accept them he can eventually come home- after lots of work.  I am doing a lot of thinking about how I want to be treated and what I will and will not put up with. 

She also said something that greatly encouraged me.  I was so afraid they were going to kick him out of the house he is in and he would end up here as usual.  She told me I had great power in deciding whether or not he comes home.  She is right.  I have the power of choosing. 
C12P21

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 12:43:12 AM »

Excerpt
She is right.  I have the power of choosing.

Yes you do have the power. How does that feel for you to know that you have the power?

I remember feeling lost when I realized that ultimately the choices I made should be in my best interest, not the relationship... but what I really wanted, for me.

C
Mara2

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 10:39:34 PM »

I like it.  I do have to remind myself over and over that my choices should not be about making someone else happy so they will like me.  My choices should be about taking care of myself and my kids first.  It is a work in progress, but I like being in charge of me. 
C12P21

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 01:17:43 AM »

Excerpt
I like it.  I do have to remind myself over and over that my choices should not be about making someone else happy so they will like me.  My choices should be about taking care of myself and my kids first.  It is a work in progress, but I like being in charge of me. 

Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

C
Maryiscontrary

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 07:32:03 AM »

You know, I learned from that video series that clearmind posted on this board that emotional maturity is just expressing empathy and compassion. It is knowing when to cut your losses and detaching.

Like installing a transmission and break system for your empathy. That is maturity.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest