Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 01, 2024, 06:56:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Always Drama  (Read 366 times)
obliv326

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: January 25, 2017, 07:47:52 PM »

So, it seems there is always drama... .

For those of you unfamiliar with my story, the fl;dr version is that I had a relationship with someone I suspect has BPD. It was the usual mix of painful ups and downs until March, when we had a nasty breakup after I gave her an ultimatum. We had patched things a little bit when she got angry at a friend of mine, and decided I was her problem and decided she needed "space"... .

Months later, she reached out, and we've been in sporadic contact since then. We seemed to be making some headway, as she had seemed to listen and respect my boundaries

In the meantime, I've been seeing other people, and I believe she saw some mention of it on social media. The day after it sort of became public, she posted some vaguely sad message on social media, and has been very distant. She hasn't responded to my last couple text messages.

She has also dove head first into pretty destructive behavior. She has jumped deeply into the kink world, where she gets a lot of validation, albeit not particularly healthy validation. I also know she is going to a kink conference thing with a guy she knew when we first started talking who is a real creep. Everything he has done has been an attempt to get into her pants, and if she lets that happen I don't believe I can have any warm feelings for her again, esp after she has often acted like I am the creepy stalker even though I genuinely care and want to get to know her.

The other person I am seeing isn't that serious, and I guess it's possible she doesn't know, but the timing and her reaction seem strange.

I've texted her a couple times in the last couple weeks and gotten no answer. I'm assuming she's upset and avoiding me, which she does.

Is there any point in asking her if something is wrong? The chance of me getting a straight answer is pretty slim, but if nothing else it gives me a chance to not overreact the emotionally. Or do I just wait?

It would be nice if I could stop the thing with the guy from happening, but she'll donwhat she wants.
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Mutt
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 07:37:41 PM »

Hi obliv326,

Welcome

A pwBPD have low self worth, low self esteem, self loath and hav chronic feelings of shame. I'm not saying this with 100% certainty, there's always a 2% margin for error but maybe she's ashamed of the kink community and that's why she has not responded? I can see how hard that would be when we have feelings for someone and they're going down a path that is not their normal behavior. I think I would give her her space, I have a feeling that if you text her it may drive her further away.

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
obliv326

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 08:49:42 PM »

Hey

Thanks for the response. I don't think she's not responding bc of the kink thing. She knows that I know she has been involved, and we don't really talk about that a lot. She had stepped away from it for awhile.

My experience with her has been that when she gets upset, her first reaction is to kind of go away and hide for a while, and then come out and get whatever validation she can. This often involves buying sexy stuff... .toys, lingerie, etc, which she really can't afford, and getting overly involved in the kink community, to the extent that everything else suffers. She gets lots of validation there bc, well, people like to encourage other people when they know they might get naked. My concern there is that, while it isn't really valuable validation, it is nonetheless easy to get and she might just convince herself that it is what she needs. I know that kink is fine for most people, but I think she's using it almost like an addict uses a drug.

Regardless, it seems like I have been split black. Things did seem to be going really well. I sensed her making an effort. And then the day after this other relationship goes public, she posted something on her profile, and she seemed to have entered her pattern. We've been getting along really well so that's all I can imagine that might have caused her to start acting differently.

I did send her a text today that asked if she was mad at me, and it seems like I'm being avoided. I'm not contacting her again until she replies.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest