Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 02, 2024, 07:15:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I don't know where to go from here  (Read 372 times)
BPDConfused0209
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: September 24, 2018, 02:15:52 PM »

Paragraph header  (click to insert in post)

Hello, everyone... .

I am the wife of someone who has BPD and feel like I'm at a crossroads. I don't know what else to do, and where to go from here, so I would appreciate advice and to hear from all of you. A little backstory... .my husband and I have been married for 2 1/2 years. He came from a very abusive background and we always said how it was a miracle he came out the way he was. He was sweet, thoughtful, and caring. We got married and suddenly everything changed. He would snap and get angry at the weirdest things, everything was always made to be my fault, and I kept quiet about it to protect him, because I didn't want anyone else to know, since he told me it was my fault.

He got me pregnant without my consent, and at the time I dismissed that, but it has been frustrating to thing about. Truly though, she is a little miracle and I love her beyond words. She is almost 8 months now, and things have gotten way worse than they were before. He wanted a baby, but does not connect with her at all. She cries and he just stares at her and does nothing. I feel like a single parent, and have tried everything I can to involve my husband in her life, but it is like pulling teeth.

I came home from the grocery store in June to see all of my husband's things gone, with his wedding ring and a note saying he didn't love me anymore. 4 hours later he called me and said he didn't remember any of it and begged for my forgiveness. My family is out of state, so after talking to my husband, she and I went to stay with them for a few weeks while he began therapy and LENS treatment. I was so relieved that he finally saw there were issues that needed to be fixed. Well, now I'm kind of back to square one, because he goes back and forth between thinking he needs help, and saying that I am the issue. He wants to know where I am at all times, snaps at very small things, and then cries and begs for my forgiveness. I want to have a positive relationship, but I feel like we are stuck because he doesn't realize that this isn't normal. He does not take responsibility for things and asks me to remind him to do the dishes, take his vitamins, and brush his teeth.

I feel like I have two children instead of a spouse and daughter. I am considering divorce, but I don't want him to fight for our daughter and abuse her. I would want to live with my family out of state, but I'm not sure if I could because of the courts and if he wanted custody. My heart is broken, and I am so confused and not sure what next steps are. I don't want my daughter to grow up with an abusive father, and I don't want to feel stuck forever either. Thank you in advance for advice.
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 04:33:09 PM »

hi BPDConfused0209 and Welcome

what an incredibly hard place to be. as sorry as i am for the circumstances that brought you here, i am glad you found us. whatever path you take, there is hope.

can you first tell us what sort of therapy he sought, and how its going? has he been seeing the therapist since june?

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
RolandOfEld

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 12:08:44 AM »

Hi BPDConfused209 and joining once removed in welcoming you.

There is so much in common between our situations children-wise and my heart really goes out to you.

The sudden loneliness of discovering you are the only adult in a car with innocent children in it can be overwhelming. I understand that while divorce is often the most obvious choice, it is far from the easiest.

Regarding next steps, please help to share some more information about your story so that we can better advise you.

You mentioned the idea of staying with your family. How aware are they of the situation vis-a-vis your husband's mental illness / disordered irresponsible behavior? Do you have anyone who can provide you some support, either childcare wise or emotionally?

Sending you strength,
RolandOfEld 

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest