Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 03, 2024, 03:11:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Before you can make things better, you have to stop making them worse... Have you considered that being critical, judgmental, or invalidating toward the other parent, no matter what she or he just did will only make matters worse? Someone has to be do something. This means finding the motivation to stop making things worse, learning how to interrupt your own negative responses, body language, facial expressions, voice tone, and learning how to inhibit your urges to do things that you later realize are contributing to the tensions.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Support from seperating from a BPD partner  (Read 370 times)
Newyoungfather

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: November 01, 2016, 10:17:13 PM »

Hello,
Thanks in advance for reading this.  Where do I begin, I am 27 years old, male, and a father of an infant child.  From the very start of the relationship I should have noticed the red flags and signs that this relationship wasn't healthy but I stayed in it.  Part of me feels that I needed to help this person out.  I am a Christian, yes I know I have sinned because I have a son, and I felt encouraging her to go to therapy would help.  She stayed in therapy but the constant breaking up and getting back together really put stress on me.

Right now I am feeling very guilty as I feel by ending this relationship and filing a custody petition I screwed up my young sons life.  I felt that if I stayed in the relationship and talked her into going back into therapy things would have gotten better.  I am currently in the biggest legal battle of my life.  I have examples of the domestic violence but my attorney said it was my fault that I stayed with a women and then got her pregnant.  I truly fear for my sons future upbringing, through all the rages I had to go through with her.
If anyone has ever been in a legal battle with a BPD partner and has a child under the age of 1, did you win and how did you do it. 

Any advice of how I can justify moving on from this relationship which could give me piece of mind.
steelwork

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 11:29:41 PM »

I can't say I have been in your situation, but as an uninvolved party i can say: you are a person doing the best you can.  Tell us more.
Newyoungfather

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 01:37:00 AM »

Well the relationship was all about control and when she didn't get her own way she would break up.  I was repeatedly hit, on one time until I became unconscious.  The thing that sucks is the court system wants to know why I stayed in a relationship with an abusive person and got her pregnant.  Its kinda hard to explain as she would always have an excuse for the abuse, bad day, her mother never taught her better.
ForeverDad
Retired Staff

Relationship status: separated 2005 then divorced

You can't reason with the Voice of Unreason...

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 09:47:20 AM »

The thing that sucks is the court system wants to know why I stayed in a relationship with an abusive person and got her pregnant.

Well, admit that you weren't prepared to deal with a dysfunctional relationship and it took time for you to learn what you were dealing with and how to deal with it.  You know better now.  Going forward, you will handle things better by seeking legal and counseling advice, educating yourself on your options and scenarios, and using support from family, experts and peer support.

I think one concern of the court is whether you two will establish a cycle of breaking up and making up.  They really don't have much patience for repeat litigants.  Sort of, "Here we go again, got another call to settle a domestic dispute... ."  So actually they'll probably think better of you if you learn how to end a bad relationship and move forward with your life and parenting.  Doesn't mean they make it easy for you to parent, sadly.

I recall my lawyer responding to my frustration with court, "Well, you married her!"  So I know how you feel.  It is what it is, don't let others guilt you too much,  deal with it and Move On to productive brainstorming, okay?

As for the separation and her wanting to get back together, if she's not making REAL progress in therapy then making your own life is the right thing for you AND the right thing for your child.  Our first impulse is to think that separation would harm the child but sometimes not separating could harm the child more.  Sadly, there's no single perfect solution, so the goal is to keep it as less messy as possible.

Excerpt
Living in a calm and stable home, even if only for part of their lives, will give the children a better example of normalcy for their own future relationships.  Staying together would mean that's the only example of home life they would have known — discord, conflict, invalidation, overall craziness, etc.  Some 30 years ago the book Solomon's Children - Exploding the Myths of Divorce had an interesting observation on page 195 by one participant, As the saying goes, "I'd rather come from a broken home than live in one."  Ponder that.  Taking action will enable your lives, or at least a part of your lives, to be spent be in a calm, stable environment — your home, wherever that is — away from the blaming, emotional distortions, pressuring demands and manipulations, unpredictable ever-looming rages and outright chaos.  And some of the flying monkeys too.

One excellent handbook in our high conflict cases is Splitting: Protecting Yourself While Divorcing Someone with Borderline or Narcissistic Personality Disorder by William Eddy and Randi Kreger — it is also listed on our Book Reviews board.
www.HighConflictInstitute.com  (also available at Amazon and elsewhere)

Newyoungfather

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 10:13:00 PM »

Thanks foreverdad, I actually feel better knowing that there are fathers out there who had to deal with these types of women.  Did the court system rule in your favor.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest