Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 11, 2024, 04:24:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First time...need help  (Read 380 times)
Marco123
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Trans
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Fiance

« on: April 29, 2021, 12:03:23 PM »

Hello,
I have never done this before but I think I need some serious help..
I am a trans man in a relationship with a girl since almost a year now. I have proposed last month and we plan to get married by the end of this year.
My relationship has been a roller coaster..it started very smooth we instantly clicked and then things got ugly..then got better again..then back to nightmare...sometimes it feels like we don't speak the same language.
My gf has been diagnosed with depression several years back and she has suffered from childhood trauma.. she told me she has no memory of her childhood.
She is very smart and highly capable of understanding people and their emotions even without them explicitly saying anything about it. She knows that her past affected her mental health and  she can auto-analyze her behavior and recognize when its self destructive or when she burst out of unexplained anger but she realizes all that after she calms down. She told me once she fears she has been misdiagnosed with depression and that maybe there is something else going on with her mental health as she doesn't constantly feel down and has several "ups" and "downs" phases..she thought it could be bipolar or maybe BPD.. she decided to go back for counseling and I was extremely happy that she finally took this decision because she needs a professional help. Sadly I am noticing that she only went once so far although she said it went well..
I know I cannot push for her to go back and it has to be her decision. It is also worth noting that we are currently in a long distance relationship and its very hard to connect some days when she disappear most of the day because she needs to be calm and sleep all day long.
A month ago when we saw each others we had a huge fight or should I say mini endless fights..I thought it will end us and it nearly did. She told me she had seriously thought of ending things with me as she felt that this relationship is further deteriorating her mental health.  
We had very long discussions about what happened and she felt that I didn't listen to her..she felt disrespected and unloved. She would rage if I cut her off mid arguments and felt like i am dismissing her feelings. For me I think I do have some problems with communication and effective listening and I have been trying to be more careful to listen more and acknowledge her feelings even when I don't understand them.
After this huge fight a month ago suddenly everything went back to normal..I promised I would be better for her and I would listen more. Looking back at it I honestly don't feel like I changed much my behavior but somehow things were okay? Somehow I felt she was more tolerant and back to the image of that person I fell in love with.
And now suddenly again I feel like my behavior is looked at under a giant microscope..everything I do or say is me being selfish..me not giving a f*** about her..and I am back to being sorry all the time, confused to why this is happening again.
Out of the blue I remembered this discussion about being misdiagnosed with depression and I started reading about BPD.. and the more I read the more I think my gf has BPD.. I am not a professional and I cannot make this diagnosis on my own.. I am afraid of telling her what I think because it will cause a big volcano..
I am very confused and I honestly don't know what to do or what to believe..I don't know if I am really treating her that badly or if BDP is messing with her head and now mine..
I never heard before from my friends or family that I am selfish or that I don't listen to them.. relationship wise I don't have much experience but I didn't have this kind of issues with my ex either.
I cannot have a professional help myself right now so I guess I am desperately trying to find that help online on this forum.. I want to save this relationship.. I don't want things to go back as badly as they were a month ago.. I love my gf very much and I know she loves me too.. I can't save her I can't cure her but I want us to work.
She also told me she thinks she doesn't have a reason to live sometimes.. not that she actively wants to die but that it wouldn't matter if she lives or not. Nobody knows about that but me.. and you can imagine how anxious this makes me.. especially that I am now miles away from her.
I know she has to go back to therapy. I don't know how to suggest that without being pushy. She also told me that this month of calm she had helped her a lot and she feels much better and now thinks she doesn't need that much help maybe that's why she is not going to therapy?
She noticed too that we are back at fighting now and she told me I have to change my behavior immediately because she doesn't want to go back to that dark place we were in a month ago.
She said we go back to you listening and being understanding or we go back to single life... I told her I understand but I really don't know what changed now..I don't want to break up..and I hate to hear these kind of ultimatum and she knows it. I feel like I am back to walking on eggshells and one tiny mistake will make her another fight.. Also when i say i am making mistakes she gets mad and says i am trying to reduce my acts and that they are more than just simple mistakes.
So yea..I know I wrote a lot and I am not even sure about it but I hope someone out there can help me...I need to know if I am treating her horribly..if this is really all my fault or not.. If it is i guess I just need to be extra mindful of my behavior.. If not how can I get back my gf? I know there is no magic buttons but I need some ways to help her..i want to save my relationship..
If you read until here I am extremely thankful..
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2021, 06:11:29 PM »

Intimacy tends to trigger BPD behaviors and responses. That you are on a path to marriage is a potential trigger for anyone, and even more so for someone who has difficulty managing their emotions.

People with BPD often are very reluctant to engage in therapy. They may start for a while, but when the therapist challenges their viewpoint, that is often when they will quit.

Because they tend to be so emotionally reactive, it’s easy to invalidate them without intending to do so, and they are much more thin skinned than emotionally healthy people.

Here’s an article that explains invalidation:  https://bpdfamily.com/content/communication-skills-dont-be-invalidating

That was a difficult thing for me to understand and overcome. I’ve always gotten along well with others and thought I was rather sensitive to people, but to hear how much I was insulting to my husband was shocking. I do tend to be very matter of fact, or blunt, but I never intend to hurt others with my words.

You don’t need to have a professional diagnosis to come to the conclusion that your loved one has some BPD traits. When you see the list of criteria, it can become quite obvious whether or not it fits. And the more traits an individual has, the more challenging it is to be in relationship with them.

We all can benefit from improving our listening skills. Here’s a good article: https://bpdfamily.com/content/listen-with-empathy

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
jaysea22

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2021, 06:43:07 PM »

So for the example above where the gf was saying you don't give a f*** about me how do you continue the conversation while being validating?  What is a good response to those types of accusations like you don't care, you don't like me, you're going to leave, etc.?
Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2021, 09:51:44 AM »

What is a good response to those types of accusations like you don't care, you don't like me, you're going to leave, etc.?

You don’t want to deny it, but at the same time you don’t want to add fuel to the fire. If you deny it, then what you are telling them is that their feelings are wrong. In BPDland, FEELINGS EQUAL FACTS.

What they believe, despite your repeated attempts to set the record straight, is what they believe to be fact, as fervently as you might believe in gravity or the existence of the sun.

Then, a day later, or maybe a few hours later, they won’t believe you’re an uncaring, selfish jerk, and they were never planning on leaving—you must have made that all up, and maybe you actually do want them to leave...and you can see how the argument can be rekindled.

How to respond to these spurious allegations without inciting further discord: it’s not easy, but the best thing is to try and validate the emotion you suspect they’re currently experiencing. Now if they’re in a fullblown dysregulation, there’s nothing that you can do that isn’t likely to make things worse, so tread very carefully.

If, however, they’re just mildly upset, you can say something like: “That must feel so lonely and painful thinking I don’t like you. I’d be really sad if I thought you didn’t like me.”

These responses are very difficult and it takes a lot of creativity to tailor it to your loved one. You don’t want to be patronizing, you also don’t want to be phony, and it is painful to hear these things from the person you love.

Hope this helps.

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest