Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 07, 2024, 04:56:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
VIDEO: "What is parental alienation?" Parental alienation is when a parent allows a child to participate or hear them degrade the other parent. This is not uncommon in divorces and the children often adjust. In severe cases, however, it can be devastating to the child. This video provides a helpful overview.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When a person with BPD leaves a non testimony  (Read 354 times)
snappafcw

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: August 27, 2013, 10:47:42 AM »

Hi guys

I found this article from a woman's perspective on the Internet I want to share with all of you it actually almost made me feel at peace how honest and heartbroken she was. Was definitely the same reasons my ex left me in her small moments of clarity she said she was trying to protect me. One of the rare times she was being loving and honest... . Anyway here's the story... .

Relationships can be difficult at the best of times. Every relationship has its own trials and tribulations, ups and downs. Life is tough, relationships are tough. But if you are in a relationship with a Borderline things can be much tougher than they are in any other relationship.

The decision to end a relationship can be a long drawn out decision about what is right or wrong for whom. Or it can be swift, bought on by some event that causes things to pass a repairable state. Such is life, we’ve all been there, BPD or not.

The biggest difference between these situations and the end of a relationship with someone with BPD is the huge amount of chaos, trauma and confusion that go go with it.

If the non-BP breaks up with the BP the likelihood is the decision will be more straight forward, in terms of how relationships come to and end as described above, but what is going on when the BP ends the relationship – well that is what I am hoping to explain in this post.

This is my personal story of ending a relationship from the perspective of the BPD sufferer…

I hope this goes some way to showing how the way a person with BPD un-attaches from people who get too close to them, as this is something I am currently going through myself. I plan to follow it up with a more in-depth look at attachment and detachment in BPD.

I think the best way to help other’s be more aware is by sharing your story and this is what I am doing here. The more those of us with experience of BPD, either as sufferers or people close to sufferers, share our stories the greater understanding will become of this terrible condition that causes so much damage in people’s lives.

People with BPD want, need and crave closeness, love and attachment just as much as anyone else does, but unfortunately our self destructive tendencies and ingrained fear of abandonment can cause us to push away the very people who are willing to give us those things out of our own fear of them eventually leaving/abandoning us and/or a desire to not cause them any further harm due to our impulsive, reckless behaviour.

BPD tears me into pieces, I love honestly and deeply, yet at the same time my worries and fears can cause me to hate the very same person that I love so very much. Constantly yoyo-ing between loving and hating a person is exhausting, draining and makes me feel unworthy of love, because I know I just end up hurting people and I don’t want to do that but cannot stop myself.

One day hopefully I will gain control over this and be able to allow someone to get close to me again. For now though I have bought up the barriers – everyone will be kept at arms length from my heart and mind because I just do not want to hurt any more people who love me, ever again.

I am going to be moving out, splitting up with my partner because he deserves better than anything I can ever give him.

Staying with a BPD partner who is unmedicated and not receiving treatment is something I personally would advise against, I know this sounds like the horrible BS crap that usually makes even me cringe when I read it on other websites about BPD, but this is the reality I am living with right now.

Yes, we can be very loving and giving, wonderful, kind people, but we hurt those who get closest to us. I am determined that I will not enter another relationship with anyone or let anyone get too close to me in future, unless one day I am in better control with the help of medication and treatment, but I don’t know if or when that time will come.

In the meantime my ability to manipulate and cheat, and painting my partner as the ‘bad’ one due to ‘splitting’ are just slowly killing him.

Part of me loves him deeply and wants us to be okay, but part of me doesn’t want him, finds him controlling and while those two parts are at war I am doing the ‘wrong’ things and getting more and more ill myself as the burdens of guilt, fear, anger, and hurt build to volcanic proportions.

I don’t want him to end up hating me any more than he should already, so breaking his heart now (and yes I am running away too) is better than the car crash that is inevitable if I stay.

elessar

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 11:10:43 AM »

I might have read this before, and it is truly heart-wrenching. But I do applaud this lady, and any BPD sufferer who is making an effort to get better. Some of the best stories I have read are from diagnosed BPDs who are going through therapy and self-analysis about their behaviors and actions.

Many of the things written here was also told to me by my ex. She vehemently denies she has BPD and has accused me of making her into a "mental patient", but the things she says... . it is as if she is taking them straight out of BPD books, websites, and articles! I have told her "why don't you google the exact thing you just told me", but of course she won't. As we have read countless times, pwBPD do know what they are doing and analyze their actions, and it comes out maybe 2-4 times a year. The rest of us wonder why won't they pursue their "enlightenment" into treatment. Oh well, what a sad illness. Their behavior drives us insane and into therapy, but they too suffer so much yet won't go for therapy... .
Reg

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 12:34:25 PM »

Seems very familiar indeed to what I've already seen and read on the net.

Very touching, and I think there's a lot of need for more awareness about borderline, certainly in my Western European country.

If we would find more of this kind of very honest material, it could be a good step in the right direction.  Unfortunately there's a lot of b*ll on the net as well, both from borderlines and hating and raging "nons".

Reg
snappafcw

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 12:42:36 PM »

I've noticed a lot of that BS too that's why ilI felt it important to share this ladies story it's relevant to my situation anyway I'm sure it can help people feel better. Stop us blaming ourselves entirely.
cylec

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 11:31:21 PM »

I am not trying to be the uncaring, unfeeling, angry jerk here.   After my relationship with my exBPDgf I, personally, do not believe anything they say. 

Of course I do not know everyone who has or is suffering from BPD but from my own personal experience, everything I have read, and from the testimonials from folks here I am afraid it is impossible for me to take anything one of them would say with anything less than a very large grain of salt.

If the person who wrote the testimonial is sincere then my prayers certainly go with her... .
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest