Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 02, 2024, 02:05:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
VIDEO: "What is parental alienation?" Parental alienation is when a parent allows a child to participate or hear them degrade the other parent. This is not uncommon in divorces and the children often adjust. In severe cases, however, it can be devastating to the child. This video provides a helpful overview.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My husband wants our friends coach us.  (Read 339 times)
Maryna

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: July 11, 2014, 03:09:37 PM »

Hello everyone,

Thanks for such helpful site. I am sorry for my English, it is my second language. It is difficult time now. I live in the shelter now. After 4,5 years living together with a lot yelling, criticizing, blaming for this and that, controlling, finally I stand up for myself and was kicked out. Please, tell me what I did wrong. It started two weeks ago. It was usual weekend day. We had breakfast, he was silent (like always). I asked:

-What do you think about?

-About sex. We did not have in the morning.

-Ok, let`s go.- and I went to the bedroom.

I was waiting, but discovered he was painting room (we remodeling the room).

I asked: "What happened?"

-No, you do not want,- he said.

I stopped talk to him. So, I do not talk and he does not (for four days). Sometime he did not talk to me two weeks. But usual he does not talk with me at all. I like when people come to our house because than I can hear his voice. To make long story short, on  4 July I wanted talk to him. He again blamed me (now about opening credit card). Any my begging did not help. I took suitcase and left for overnight to my friends house ( I just wanted him to think, but I was hoping that he will stop me.) But he was yelling and saying swear words. In the morning I decided come back, but for overnight he has changed all locks in the house. I waited for him and he allowed me enter in house only with him. In the house I did everything what chores had to be done (cut grass, cooked, laundry) and begging him to give me key. Nothing helped. On Sunday I went to church and after I came back, house was locked. I was waiting under rain for him. He came back and on my request to give key he showed f... .finger. I called police and now I live in the shelter. He does not make any contacts. Sometime I am coming in house to take mail and walk around house (if he is at work). He said to my friend that he did not kick me out, it is me left him. Now he decided that our friends have to coach us who is right. I do not feel like I want and do not believe it will help. I do not know what should I ask him, how talk to him and what to ask for. I plan write down everything, all my concerns. I have now already letter 11 pages and it is not finished yet.I feel so bad, my heart is running to him, but my mind stops me. What to do? I do not know. With his second wife he lived for one year in the same house and never talked until she filed for divorce. Now he said me she was good women. So, what you can advice me, do I need agree to coaching with friends or it is stupid action and will show my weakness? I just want everything work out.
an0ught
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner
Relationship status: married

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 07:27:01 AM »

Hi Maryna,

the behavior of your husband kicking you out without notice is not an acceptable in a marriage. He seems to have serious issues as you have noticed when you joined him in the US. While your marriage is important it is vital that you make sure you have and maintain a safety net you can fall back on. At the moment it is not really a question so much of whether you look weak or not - you asked this - it is a question of not being weak as a fact. Only with your feet fully grounded you will be strong enough to set boundaries.

Excerpt
Now he decided that our friends have to coach us who is right. I do not feel like I want and do not believe it will help. I do not know what should I ask him, how talk to him and what to ask for.

You husband may be delusional i.e. believes that it happens the way he told it. Although he will probably remember changing the locks and that does not fit so well with his fiction. He may simply tell the made up story in order to protect his ego as he may feel ashamed of what he did. Instead of owning up others are drawn in desperate hope that somehow it works out. He does not seem to have a rationale plan how to get out of the hole he dug.

It is excellent you are writing things down. When things get crazy writing stuff down helps to clarify your thoughts. But don't send it - it won't help and likely backfires.

Of course his ex was a good women. As you are. She still is like you are. His view of other people can be extreme and change rapidly. Pursuing admiration of a pwBPD is a loosing game - we loose respect and self respect in that chase. To reverse course we need working on respect and self respect first and foremost.

Excerpt
So, what you can advice me, do I need agree to coaching with friends or it is stupid action and will show my weakness?

Without somehow re-establishing communication it won't get better so at some point you got to talk with each other. How safe do you feel with this friend of his? Can you take one friend of yours along? Can you meet in a public place? If you don't want to come across as weak then you got to feel safe. Think hard about what it would mean for the first talk would fail and get comfortable with that - you won't be able to feel strong if you can't walk from a talk. Read up on boundaries and time-outs.

At the moment you are stuck with thinking about what has happened. What are the true facts. As if establishing the truth would magically fix the situation. The fact is - the truth in the past matters little. The future is determined by your behavior now and in the future. Agreements struck in the past were possibly broken and agreements with him struck in the near future are likely to fare the same unless there are tangible changes in your behavior that prevent it. I don't want to rob you hope here only focus your energy on things you control. Agreement where you have some sort of control - often only limited and ultimate e.g. by taking a timeout etc. are of value. Again read up on boundaries. Boundaries are necessary for respect. Boundaries are key to reduce rage.

Past facts matter little and boundaries need to be under your control. There is plenty of stuff that one would like to control and can not. Still we have powerful techniques that let us influence others if we put our mind to communicating in a way that maximizes impact. You can read up on communication e.g. here: https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=221022.0 . When it comes to emotions likely he is right now - depressed, confused, ashamed, angry, feeling guilty, uncertain, lonely etc. . It helps to think through how to validate him in for him meaningful ways.

Excerpt
I just want everything work out.

Work out how? Just like it was before? What effort are you willing to put in?

Writing is self validation. Writing on bpdfamily is self validation squared!
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest