Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 04, 2024, 06:57:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Our abuse recovery guide
Survivor to Thriver | Free download.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coping with lies and smear campaigns  (Read 405 times)
mother in law

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Inlaw

« on: March 22, 2013, 07:42:34 PM »

How do others cope with the constant lies and smear campaigns? It is constant from my  son's ex wife. She  seems to do awful things and then change the story and blame others usually me or my son. The 2 recent instances are: she punched my son then later that week sent him a text saying I had punched her dad and that she and my husband had witnessed it. In actual fact he had witnessed her hitting her father. The latest is she sent my husband a text stating  my son told his 10 year old son that he loves his new partner more and that the 10 year old was very upset (the text did go on more than this!). In fact we suspect that she has said this to my grandson after a particularly distressing event (he was put on the airport watch list so his mother could not take him back to Japan). My grandson was indeed upset one weekend and when his father got to the bottom of it he explained that he did not love anyone more just differently and he would always love him. I think she has sent this text like the other one to cover herself and make her actions appear ok. Is this so? How do others cope with this? My feelings are we should not play the tit for tat game as it is bad for all concerned but my som should tell his son that if m ummy says things like this to come and tell him and he can say whether or not it is true. Do others agree? Or have any other answers? Sorry it is all a bit convoluted. I have bought an Umbreela for Alex for them to read together.
Kwamina
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 07:44:46 AM »

All the lies and smear campaigins are very difficvult to deal with indeed. I think you're right when you say she does this to cover up her bad behavior or in some way justify her actions. My uBPD mother and oldest sister also often do this after misbehaving. They want to manipulate me in viewing their behavior as normal, but I'm not buying into this anymore. When they lie I tell them that I know what really happened and whether they acknowledge it or not, state that I won't tolerate their behavior. I agree that your son should make it clear to your grandson that whenever he's upset about something someone else has said about him or his father, that he can and should always come and talk with him about it. Your son should tell your grandson that he doesn't ever have to doubt how much he loves him, no matter what other people might say.

Oh, give me liberty! For even were paradise my prison, still I should long to leap the crystal walls.
Clearmind
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 07:13:39 PM »

My feelings are we should not play the tit for tat game

I agree MIL – I think what is important to remember is that she is projecting, if you react, she will escalate. Don’t give her fodder - don't engage. Document these texts, emails you receive.

All your son and you can do is be a support to S10.

Has it been reported that she punched your son?

SadWifeofBPD
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 09:17:18 AM »

I have been dealing with a smear campaign for over 5 years now between my BPDH and his relatives (who have not much been in our lives for the past 30 years, so they have had few actual experiences with us - they live several states away and H is not one to frequently touch base with them.).  while they know that my H was a very difficult child, they don't know that he has BPD. They know that he's an alcoholic, but he's convinced them that I "caused that."   

The smear campaign began about 6 years ago when my H insisted that I had an affair (I've never even held hands with another man in 30 years!).  Not only would he not believe me, he told EVERYONE that I had an affair... . coworkers, called his relatives, etc.  After a short period of time when he couldn't uncover any "evidence" of any "affair", he finally told me that he believed me.  But, he never really cleared that up with others because doing so would have made him look stupid for accusing a totally innocent person.  Well the "cheating" accusation popped up at least 3 more times after that... . all during drunken rages.  One night, to escape his frequent rages, I went to sleep upstairs.  He called my cell phone and accused me of being in bed with another man.  I was upstairs in our own home alone, while he was downstairs!  That's how nutty this is/was. 

Well, the smearing has continued to the point that his family thinks I'm horrible.  Our own children are mystified because if given the opportunity, they would tell them that their mom (me) is the victim and that their father is a crazy, cruel, raging person. One of our kids won't even speak or see my H.  The other one barely tolerates him.  They both think he's irrational, paranoid, and outrageous. 

My sister is a T, and she keeps telling me that time will reveal much because H is getting worse and worse because of the alcohol and testosterone replacement therapy he's (wrongly) on. 

Once H retires, he will likely move to live near his relatives. At that point, they will begin to see how their brother really behaves.  He won't be able to hide his BPD for long.  He was around them last fall during the election and he called one of his SIL's an idiot for her voting choice.  H will routinely insult people who vote differently than he does.  However, his relatives weren't the targets of his rages, so they don't know much about that except for a couple of incidents that occurred about 6 and 20 years ago - each involving a different sibling.  Their memories are either short, or they aren't savvy enough to realize that those rages were huge red flags of a more serious issue.

His brother (who H relies on for advice now), hates me, but did chide my H when BIL witnessed a phone call where H was raging at me.  H was mad that he had lost his house key and was locked out, so he raged at me.  BIL made him apologize and he told H that his behavior was unacceptable and that it wasn't my fault that H lost his key.  That said, BIL isn't bright enough to put 2+2 together to realize that if H would rage about his lost key, then what other unreasonable rages is he doing.

There is a backstory as to why BIL has always disliked me.  I have always been very pleasant, but he never liked me because he thought I was a rich snobby girl from Calif.  So ridiculous.  I came from a large middle class family.  My dad never earned more than $50k per year... . Laugh out loud (click to insert in post).   That amount is LESS than what THEIR father earned.  But, my parents were savers/investors, so we had a large beautiful home.  H's parents were silly with money and always lived paycheck to paycheck. 

So, when we got married, my parents gave us a beautiful church wedding with all the trimmings.  This was far better than anything H's family had ever seen.  So, BIL and a few others were "put off" by what they saw because they probably had memories of their own far-lesser weddings.  This is a family that is VERY jealous of what others have, but they never consider the fact that they're earning good money, but they piss their money away on junk and impulse purchases.  (MIL had 8 kids... . she bought her kids EVERYTHING on their Bday and Xmas lists... . every item... including all accessories).  My family had 7 kids and my parents would only buy us ONE thing from our list and it had to be within a low price limit.  Any other gifts that we got were practical... . like new PJs, or new socks. 

So, from the get go, I was the snobby rich Calif girl in their eyes.  Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)   Therefore it wasn't difficult for H to "build" on that misperception whenever he saw an opportunity to smear me. 

It is painful to know that your reputation has been smeared, especially when you feel that you have little opportunity to clear your name. 

It's all very upsetting to know that you're being smeared.  All you can hope is that time will reveal the truth. 
Ember

Relationship status: married

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 03:29:28 PM »

A few years ago it occurred to me that my BPDMother had such a distorted view of reality but no matter what she said no one called her on it.  She had a 101 ways to call everyone else a liar, but no one ever confronted with her own words.  And then she crossed the line - she called my daughter a liar.  Said she was a manipulator and said I couldn't trust her.  That she was twisting the truth and was making things up.  The situation was ridiculous as I had witnessed everything.  Right then and there I told my mother that I knew she wasn't telling the truth.  Wow, what a turning point for me to overcome years of conditioning and actually say I knew she was lying to her.

I'm not saying this was a solution because it didn't stop the lying and led to all sorts of confrontations, but why not tell someone who is lying that you don't believe them.  Then end the conversation?

What is more hurtful is that my father has decided that he believes everything she says and I'm making things up because I'm sick in the head.  Not much I can do about that.

Another coping mechanism that I had was to ignore the lies my mother told me about others.  Now, depending on the circumstances, I phone the victim of the lie.  I'll say my mother has been talking about you and I just want you to know that I don't believe everything my mother says.  There is usually a huge amount of relief from the victim.  The next time my mother tells the lie, I say that I've spoken to the other person and I don't believe her version of events.  Leads to more confrontations.  But I'm sick of the lies.   

The lies just kept getting worse and worse.  I'm now no contact with my parents.  It makes me sad, but I don't think it is healthy for my children and I to be called liars. 
motherof1yearold

Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 03:37:32 PM »

I'm struggling with this right now too after my divorce. My updx H  has smeared me to the entire town, all my friends, the church , you name it.

He has claimed I'm a child abuser, cheater, liar, abuser. It got to the point where I was spending time with another guy , he messaged him on facebook "warning him" that I am abusive to the child and I was abusive to him during our relationship. He said " I just wanted to warn you!" He has smeared me to the point I have been shunned by everyone.

I was babysitting one night for a friend and ex stalks him, calls the mother, and tells her I cannot be trusted with a child and tells the Father I cannot be trusted with a child. Everyone eats the lies right up. I have no way to defend myself.

What do we do in this position?

Thanks for starting the thread.
mother in law

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 01:17:25 AM »

thank you for all your answers it is nice to know you are not alone. Yes the smear campaigns and projections are distressing. My son (her  ex husband) has  been the victim of one, she has labelled him an adulterer, he was abusive (she was and is) and he made her have an abortion and the list goes on. She rang his friends and told them all these lies. He has ignored it and only spoken to one friend he is meanwhile completely beaten down by her and sad. After she punched him recently she sent him a text saying i had hit her father and she and My husband had witnessed iz and were shocked. In actual fact my husband witnessed her hitting her father a few years ago and was very shocked.  She later changed the story to i hit  her. We ignored these lies even though i was upset. My husband last week  received a text saying nasty things about our son and stating our grandson felt  unloved and his father does not  listen ( a frequent complaint) and would We talk to our son. We thought about it then texted back no (as she has tried manipulative ways before to break his current relationship. We also stated We were very unhappy that she had told lies about me, that he had worked very hard in the marriage (he worked full time did the housework and alot od the cooking she did  little). We also said perhaps her constant criticizing of our son may be damaging our grandsons opinion of his father and it may be time to make a new and happy life for herself. We of course received a furious and vitriolic text back denying all and stating what a great wife she had been, not the lazy abusive one she was. It has of course escalated because My grandson has  been put on airport watch so she cannot take him back to japan. We think it has foiled her plans to do just that. Perhaps We should not have replied and i would think twice next time but We are sick of the smears as We tried very hard to help her and ultimately they really do hurt. Thank you for listening i have only given a few examples i could go on and on . I stil do not know the right answer.
Clearmind
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 01:21:50 AM »

I hear it all loud and clear. MIL all I can suggest is that you document everything. These incidences of punching should be recorded/reported. All the more reason given there is a child involved.

Has your son seen a lawyer - he really should get legal advice.

Consider also copying your post over to the Leaving Board: Family law, divorce and custody Board - lots of wonderful senior members over there that will provide you with some info.

mother in law

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 06:07:35 AM »

Thank you for listening. I know it sounds unbelievable that any one could act act like this, I don't think I would have believed it myself 5 years ago and when I describe this behaviour I sound like the mother in law from hell, so it is nice to be believed. I will post this on the separating, divorce thread in the next few days. Unfortunately my son is so beaten down by her he finds it difficult at this time to motivate himself to act on behalf of his son if it involves confrontation, and mostly it does.
SadWifeofBPD
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2013, 12:20:16 PM »

Excerpt
suggest is that you document everything. These incidences of punching should be recorded/reported. All the more reason given there is a child involved.

Yes, document everything.  If you have Evernote on your iPad or similar, as soon as she begins raging, open Evernote and begin recording.  Later email the file to your atty. 

My attorneys were horrified when I played a recording from a night that H had locked his keys in the car and began raging.  They said that even though they've "seen everything" as lawyers, they had never heard a grown adult get that upset and insulting because he ALONE locked his keys in the car (I hadn't been in the car, so I had NO role in his mistake.)   He had gone out for booze (told me he was going to get some snacks), likely drank a bunch in the car before entering our home, so he forgot his keys and locked the door.  I had tried to rectify the situation by calling the Auto Club to unlock the car (which is what H wanted me to do), but he still began raging and saying that I "wasn't his friend," and threw out some horrific insults.  This occurred before I knew H had BPD. 

Anyway... . document everything.  Record, take pictures, email the evidence to a safe location that the spouse can't access and destroy.  Before I had an atty, I would email evidence to my sister and to a secret email acct. 
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest